Man injured in light plane crash near Woodstock Qld

A man has been seriously injured in a light plane crash west of Townsville, a day after another man died in a similar incident near Caboolture.

The 58-year-old pilot was flying near Woodstock this morning when he crashed into a tree around 9am.

An Emergency Management Queensland spokesperson said the microlight plane experienced engine failure after taking off from a private airfield less than a kilometre away.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/man-injured-in-light-plane-crash-near-woodstock/story-e6freoof-1226315167099

10-7944 - RANS Stinger S-17 single seat home build - see photos of types from RANS http://www.rans.com/photos/199

Sounds like he's going to be OK (broken leg - the bone between knee & hip - which can be fatal if not attended to). Not sure if he took off from Donnington or the 2km long strip just south. The aircraft isn't very old - about a year or so - I think.

Sue

Guest Maj Millard

The aircraft was Rans Stinger 10-7944. It was advertised for sale in the Feb mag #2764. It was almost new with an oil-injected 503. I have no other details at this time on why the 503 may have quit, if that is in fact what happened.

The owner/pilot recently got his license at Woodstock, training in a Gazelle....the aircraft was hangared at Starke Field Woodstock, just North of Donnington airfield.................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Maj Millard

Yes a bit more info on this one. I was asked by the pilots' family to do a report on the aircraft for insurance purposes, which I did, after looking at the remains. The aircraft was a write off, and is not economicaly repairable. I wasn't on site when the accident happened. I had been asked to test fly the aircraft by the owner, and had looked at it before the incident, but because of my preparation to fly to natfly had not had a chance to do so. The pilot was licensed but with low hours, however he did do several runs along the runway prior to flying the aircraft.

From reports on site, the power-loss was only partial, and from my inspection post-crash I believe may have been caused by the use of blue polyeurathane (plastic) fuel line on the case to pulse-pump line. This should always be good quality rubber. In my opinion the collapse of the pulse line could have caused fuel loss to the engine at take-off power.

There is another one of these aircraft for sale by the same person, and I would highly recommend to anyone buying (or planning to fly) this aircraft, to replace all blue polyeurthane fuel line with quality rubber hose........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Correct, it is not the best place for a forced landing. There are more options at the other end, but this is generally the direction of take-off...Even in a cleared area it is anthill country, and they will stop you just as effectivly as any tree !.....you can in fact see a couple of small ones hiding in the grass behind the crash aircraft in the video................................................................Maj...ace.gif.4b7b2ce3e9d614e05873a978e6555c1d.gif