Almost Cried When I Saw This...

sseeker

Hire rates effective: 11/03/2000

Well I really wish I was eligible for a CPL during this time. CPL with retractable gear, NVFR, CIR, theory, IREX theory and ATPL theory for $38243. Similar course is now around $50,000 in WA minus NVFR, CIR, IREX & ATPL theory. C172 rates (non RG) is $300/hr minus landing fees, $200/hr solo. C152A is $260/hr dual and $160/hr solo minus landing fees. Full stop is ~$24, T&G ~$4ea at Jandakot.

The price in real terms is probably about the same just that our dollar is worth so much less now so you need a lot more of them, especially for local products / services. Also no GST then. Check house prices, gold price etc in 2000. Governments have been busy printing $$ since then.

Guest Howard Hughes

I remember paying $65 per hour for a C150 and on a trip to the States was able to rent one for $35US (circa 1988).012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The price in real terms is probably about the same just that our dollar is worth so much less now so you need a lot more of them, especially for local products / services. Also no GST then. Check house prices, gold price etc in 2000. Governments have been busy printing $$ since then.

150hr CPL training nowadays is GST ex. Yes you do have a point however I think it still works out being cheaper back then, especially due to fuel prices.

I remember paying $65 per hour for a C150 and on a trip to the States was able to rent one for $35US (circa 1988).012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I really wanna go to the US! They have all the best planes for hire at low prices.

-Andrew

• Like 1

Just did a quick search on hire rates in the USA and they are still far cheaper (in same cases half the price) of what they are here.

Most C150/152's are $70-90 private hire and 172's are $90-120. Dual rates for most 2-4 seat aircraft are $120-$190.

Wages earnt we're a lot less back then also, don't forget that! But yes things are much more exy now that's for sure. I find dry hire rates are pretty good though, it's the fuel price that's killing it.

When I trained I could get about 2 hours dual on a chipmunk for a weeks wages . I spent the equivalent of half a house at the time getting my training. That was over quite a few years. You have to compare the costs against average earnings or something like that. If you did, you wouldn't be wingeing so much... Nev

I started with training costs at $11 per hour, can't remember what wages were but Living away from home allowance was $25 per week. Oh for the good old days!

in the USA and they are still far cheaper (in same cases half the price) of what they are here.

Yeah it's real cheap, I was thinking about doing PPL there, problem is the special visa requirements & schools that take foreigners with these visas seem to charge more.

My very first lesson cost what I thought was a princely sum of 7 pounds 15 shillings, when i'd just started work, at 2 pounds 19 and fourpence a week.

And the answer is Yenn, no it wasn't on an SE5A wearing a Royal Flying Corp funny kharki hat like my Grandad had, but it wouldn't have been too far away from you at the time (Pheonix Flying Club/ Metropolitan Police Flying Club at Biggin Hill.

I nearly joined the Special Contabulary purely to get cheap flying training through their sports and social club, but the local Station Sergent (Dad) said that just wasn't on:bad_mood: .

I'm getting my CPL at the Goulburn Flight Training Centre... not surprisingly located just outside of Goulburn. I believe they are quoting $49,000 for the full 150hr CPL course. Do a search for them in Google and you'll find the home site.

I'd definitely recommend them - Class G airspace (training area starts at the end of the runway haha) and Canberra is only a quick hop away once you get to the stage of navigating CTA. Planes include Gazelles, C150 Aerobat, C172, C172RG and a Beechcraft Baron.

- boingk

EDIT: Missed the 'minus NVFR, CIR, IREX & ATPL theory' part. Wow, those boys over there really are getting a good deal then!

I used to hire Auster J1/n's at bankstown for two pounds seven and sixpence per hour. BDQ and AMK. They must have been the wrong flyer because people didn't want to fly them. That's why they were cheap. Nev

Just did a quick search on hire rates in the USA and they are still far cheaper (in same cases half the price) of what they are here.Most C150/152's are $70-90 private hire and 172's are $90-120. Dual rates for most 2-4 seat aircraft are $120-$190.

Flying is cheaper in the states, there is no doubt about it. Even the maintenance is cheaper, when I was and A&P you HAD to complete an annual in a specified number of hours and for a fixed labour price agreed upon PRIOR to starting the work. For most aircraft it was $600-$900. Fuel and aircraft are also cheaper, but thats only because there is a lot more of them there.

Yeah it's real cheap, I was thinking about doing PPL there, problem is the special visa requirements & schools that take foreigners with these visas seem to charge more.

Gnarly if you just went on a three month tourist visa you could do your PPL at any flying school with out needing special requirements or it costing any more. BUT BE WARNED having an FAA PPL is not the same as having a CASA PPL. You would still need to sit the CASA PPL examination and a PPL flight exam out here to hold an australian license. Also the training requirements for pilots state side are different to those here (they work on a different syllabus).

I'm pretty sure every non-US citizen has to apply through the TSA's 'Alien Flight Training' scheme since the 9/11 stuff?

Yes it can, and in a lot of cases it even applies to US citizens to. Usually they waive it for Australians if your not learning in a university style of structure. But that is not a major deal to go through even if you have to, if you hold an RA Aus license they will usually wave it also. They waived it for me considering my Australian PPL

I started with training costs at $11 per hour, can't remember what wages were but Living away from home allowance was $25 per week. Oh for the good old days!

Yah beat me by a buck Yenn (so that must make you older than me?) In Canada in 1959 I opted out of PPL lessons at the 17 hour mark after realizing that I couldn't afford to fly, drink beer and chase girls (only three things that mattered at the time) on my serviceman's wage. Lessons in an Aeronca Champ or Taylorcraft 12BC were $12/hr dual & $10/hr solo. However, putting these figures into perspective at the time, a surface labourer working at the local mines was earning $2.05/hr. Thinking back on it, perhaps I should have kept up with the flying lessons as I seem to recall waking up with far more beer hangovers than I ever did gorgeous girlies. I ask myself, were they really the good old days? Cheers

• Like 1

If you keep thinking of them fondly, then yes, they were!

I'm working for $20 something an hour as a bar manager and flying costs at least 10 times that. Still manage to drink occasionally and chase my girl around the state haha.

Cheers - boingk

I used to hire Auster J1/n's at bankstown for two pounds seven and sixpence per hour. BDQ and AMK. They must have been the wrong flyer because people didn't want to fly them. That's why they were cheap. Nev

Hey Nev, Hope you wern't the one the one that let the Auster go off on its own from Bankstown many moons ago, till it was eventually shot down off the Northern Beaches with 0 POB, after creating havok circling above Sydney, i'm sure you'd remember the story.