I Hate Winter

I have 6 hrs up and all I want is to keep going until I get to solo. The weather seems to have closed in and it rains weekend after weekend. Hopefully 2 more weeks and I can get back to doing circuits. I have soloed in a glider but I am looking forward to going solo in an RA aircraft. Theory is done so it is just a matter of practice.

Guest davidh10

It can be a bit frustrating, John, but it does give you time to do some swatting on other aspects of flying. Meteorology is a good one as it affects every flight and seems topical for this thread. Check out John Brandon's tutorials (under the Resources Menu) on that subject, if you haven't already done so.

Guest David Hallett
I have 6 hrs up and all I want is to keep going until I get to solo. The weather seems to have closed in and it rains weekend after weekend. Hopefully 2 more weeks and I can get back to doing circuits. I have soloed in a glider but I am looking forward to going solo in an RA aircraft. Theory is done so it is just a matter of practice.

All the best with going solo John - I'm in the same situation. Soon I hope!

Guest Howard Hughes

I remember my first solo as it was a grey and dreary day in Melbourne. With all the low cloud and drizzle I was very surprised when my instructor got out and said "off you go, one circuit and meet me back here". I'm sure any back stick on downwind would've put me in cloud! Of course that was 29 years ago, so my memories may have exagerated it a little since then...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

It is only when flying or boating that you realise just how many bad weather days there are here in Adelaide. I remember teaching scuba diving and loosing 9 weekends straight where we couldn't get students in the ocean.

I have flown gliders and remember my first Solo. I am still really nervous when i think about going solo in the jab. I have been spending my spare time looking at all types of Light Aircraft. I have developed an interest in the FOXBAT. I will have to go to Gawler one day and go for a fly in one. Oh well the rain is pelting down and the wind howling outside. No flying this weekend but I have to go to sea on Saturday.

The farmer in me loves winter weather. I have a great appreciation for mud, though I tend to deal more with dust.

Winter weather certainly can inhibit the opportunities to go flying, but some of the best flying weather occurs in winter. The performance of an aircraft in winter bears little resemblance the pititiful summer climbouts, and turbulence is certainly less of an issue. Some of those cold crisp days of winter are flying nirvana.

Winter also has the capacity to bite thee firmly on thy backside. Quickly moving fronts, lowering cloud, visibility changing in an instant, last light arriving all too soon, and the realization that a carb heat knob is actually there to be used are all issues that are incorporated into the proficient pilot's mindset.

Winter is all part of natures cycle. I have sometimes posed the question to some of my city cousins: "when you turn the tap on in February, what do you want to come out?"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It is only when flying or boating that you realise just how many bad weather days there are here in Adelaide. I remember teaching scuba diving and loosing 9 weekends straight where we couldn't get students in the ocean.I have flown gliders and remember my first Solo. I am still really nervous when i think about going solo in the jab. I have been spending my spare time looking at all types of Light Aircraft. I have developed an interest in the FOXBAT. I will have to go to Gawler one day and go for a fly in one. Oh well the rain is pelting down and the wind howling outside. No flying this weekend but I have to go to sea on Saturday.

Hi John,

A trip to Gawler would be an excellent idea the best day being a Saturday when most people are there. If you haven't visited Gawler for some time there have been a lot more hangars constructed and you will find many RaaUs aircraft both high and low wing. A flight in Rob Hatswel's Foxbat is a must. There are quite a few of us 'Forumites' based at Gawler so when you visit have a wander around the hangars and introduce yourself.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan Marriette.

Well, I have just got back from the local strip, squeezed a circuit in between rain showers. I actually hate summer! It can be a dead calm day wind wise but thermals can make the poor Jab bounce around to the point one is convinced the wing bolts are going to let go at the next 'pot hole'. Nope, cool, calm days for this old fart thank you very much. (Plus it is easier to get warm in winter, some cheap port, cheap cheese, cheap girl and a big open fire!)

Winter is all part of natures cycle. I have sometimes posed the question to some of my city cousins: "when you turn the tap on in February, what do you want to come out?"

Well I hope it's bloody dollar notes next February, we've got a desal plant that cost us all six trips around the world.