Farri

40 knots approach speed Frank with full flap on a short field approach. She stall at 24 knots with full flap ... how about that ...

David, You win! 24 kt stall speed is impressive! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Short field approach, I can bring my Drifter in at just above the indicated stall speed of 32kt, but this leaves nothing up the sleve in the case of wind shear and for me, that`s cutting it too fine.

I don`t fly numbers, I fly the aircraft and preffer to do a short field approach by remaining at a safe altitude then slipping off height at the appropriate point. Has never failed me, in all conditions. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Frank.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old girl has a massive 37ft wing span Franko, a bit of a bitch in the flare with gusting winds.

That`s all part of the fun and challenge,David!

LOL ... everything was easier when we were 18, it was just that we didn't have the brains then to know that some things we just should NOT have done. LOL

I`ve lived my life, "My Way", but I no longer do "SOME" of the things I used to do!

I have asked myself this question many times, " Is it because, as we get older we have learnt from experience, therefore, are wiser for it and no longer prepaired to face the challenges ( Risks ) ,or, is it because as we get, "More Mature", we have lost the nerve and ability, therefore, too afraid to do those things that we now consider to have been stupid folly and lucky to have survived?

Well the short answer!....... At the moment, the weather is terrible again so I`ll go back to my "Safe And Cosy" home renovation!

Frank.

• Like 2

So much to prove to yourself when you are young. Most of it is just not that important, later. You can appreciate other things as well so it's not just withdrawal because you don't want to make an effort... Nev

• Like 2

David . If an old fella like me in a Jab 160 can handle Frank's strip ,you'll have no trouble.Bob

Yes David! I was watching and Bob did it well!.....An old hand at it,I reckon! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Frank.

David . If an old fella like me in a Jab 160 can handle Frank's strip ,you'll have no trouble. Where are you Pud , left home yet !!Bob

I'm here at home Bob,

Just reading this thread from Franko, and dreaming about sunny north queensland.

We will be packing this weekend but don't leave until Friday afternoon 27th July - 10 sleeps to go!!

I reckon that will put us at Franks place around 11th August. Look out Frank!!!

Pud

• 5 months later...
Farri Country[ATTACH=full]17988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]17996[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]17997[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]17998[/ATTACH]

A Drifter on the beach

[ATTACH=full]17989[/ATTACH]

Master and Apprentice

[ATTACH=full]17982[/ATTACH]

Cairns night markets with the girls

[ATTACH=full]17983[/ATTACH]

Farewell Farri

[ATTACH=full]17992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]17985[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]17993[/ATTACH]

We all need to start a band.. "The wright flyers" maybe? Biggles and farri on guitars Tommo on sax ,Ill do drums,rythem guitar and sing(at same time) all we need is a bass player and were in business ...would be cool though and if its bing we cover im up for it, could even do some patsy cline with a little guns,n,roses thrown for my gen...lol take it easy and keep up the strumming guys love the pic... edit and pud with his 3 chords:roflmao:

We all need to start a band.. "The wright flyers" maybe? Biggles and farri on guitars Tommo on sax ,Ill do drums,rythem guitar and sing(at same time) all we need is a bass player and were in business ...would be cool though and if its bing we cover im up for it, could even do some patsy cline with a little guns,n,roses thrown for my gen...lol take it easy and keep up the strumming guys love the pic... edit and pud with his 3 chords:roflmao:

I could provide a good base beat with my Didgeridoo.

Alan.

• Like 1

Or good for going from A to B as long as A and B are not far apart You can land them slow as long as YOU aren't too slow. When I first flew them nobody else wanted to, so they were the cheapest thing to get hours up on, and in those circumstances speed doesn't matter a lot. Someone at Bankstown put a fairly big "Flat" motor in one and it would exceed Vne in level flight and leave the ground nicely. You have to make sure you don't overcapitalise them, but I have seen some very nice restorations. Nev

Or good for going from A to B as long as A and B are not far apart You can land them slow as long as YOU aren't too slow. When I first flew them nobody else wanted to, so they were the cheapest thing to get hours up on, and in those circumstances speed doesn't matter a lot. Someone at Bankstown put a fairly big "Flat" motor in one and it would exceed Vne in level flight and leave the ground nicely. You have to make sure you don't overcapitalise them, but I have seen some very nice restorations. Nev

Have owned one for 36 years nearly 3000 hrs and it still has not learnt how to land

Mick

• Like 1

Yeah , but at 70kg have you got the " ticker " ??Bob

It's interesting that you say that Bob because I had always wanted to play one for many years but believed that I did not have the lungs for the job, having seen some of those big built Aboriginis, however, large lungs are not required as you do not 'blow' into a Didge, you merely vibrate your lips and store your air in your cheeks refilling them as needed, sort of like storing air in the bag pipes. This is known as 'circular breathing' so the sound doesn't stop even when you take a breath. Some ladies can do this when they are talking.067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

Alan.

• Like 1

ruffasguts, it's the only plane I know where bouncing excessively on take-off happens. It's the rubber bungee undercarriage of course. Everyone seems to wheel them on now. We used to three point them. If you can get the tailwheel on and keep it there it doesn't bounce, but way back most fields were "all over" fields. You landed into wind. Bankstown was, when I was there flying the Auster. Makes it a bit easier . Nev

Yeah I remember a bitumen runway. Rwy 16 at Sydney Kingsford Smith . VH-AMK, with a b''dy DC-6b right up my rear. My fastest was about the same as his stall speed. Just a bit distracting. If I sent him around I might have got a fuel bill. I wonder where that plane is now? AMK... Nev