Aviation security overdone?

Tex

I mean... It was hilarious hearing some of the stuff people do.

A few years ago I was flying back from delivering the Sportstar we had sold to it's new owners at Warnambool. Flew Jetstar from Avalon to Sydney and was to fly Virgin from Sydney to Hervey Bay.

Arrived at Sydney and collected checked in bag and headed for Virgin to check in for next leg. Virgin were having computer problems and the line up to check in was huge. As I had a few hours to wait I thought I would just go through security, find somewhere for a coffee and a bite.

So I innocently rock up to the security check point and dump my bag on the X-ray machine, as my bag goes through there is much interest from the guy monitoring the machine and he calls over other guys to have a look too. There is much pointing from these guys and lots of comments ( and some giggles ).

When the bag comes out this BIG Mauri security guy points at me, "This yours?" he says and I admit yes. "You were not planning to have this as carry on were you?" he says with a big silly grin on his face. I say "You're right, I wasn't, just taking it with me to get a coffee then come back & check it in later when the crowd dwindles." He says "I thought as much, but sorry but you can't come through here carrying a bag with a leatherman tool, a first aid kit containing a nice looking pocket knife plus some scissors and you got no chance of taking them big ass metal cork screw things ( screw-it tie downs! ) either."

I'm guessing that my attempt to carry through these banned items was so obvious that they could see it was my mistake not an actual threat and I am glad that they at least had the sense to see it that way.

So I had to sit outside the secure area & wait:augie:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re the chainsaw

I could just imagine 'in flight' the airline hostess saying ..................... 'Sir you can't start that up in the chainsaw in the toilet - the toilet is fitted with a smoke detector'

Guest Howard Hughes
Provided there were no fluids I'm not getting this was somehow a problem?

Any item with an internal combustion engine is considered to be 'Dangerous Goods', even if it is brand new and the tank is empty!

This is one of the questions that apears quite regularly on the Dangerous Goods exam.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

A few years ago I was flying back from delivering the Sportstar we had sold to it's new owners at Warnambool. Flew Jetstar from Avalon to Sydney and was to fly Virgin from Sydney to Hervey Bay.Arrived at Sydney and collected checked in bag and headed for Virgin to check in for next leg. Virgin were having computer problems and the line up to check in was huge. As I had a few hours to wait I thought I would just go through security, find somewhere for a coffee and a bite.

So I innocently rock up to the security check point and dump my bag on the X-ray machine, as my bag goes through there is much interest from the guy monitoring the machine and he calls over other guys to have a look too. There is much pointing from these guys and lots of comments ( and some giggles ).

When the bag comes out this BIG Mauri security guy points at me, "This yours?" he says and I admit yes. "You were not planning to have this as carry on were you?" he says with a big silly grin on his face. I say "You're right, I wasn't, just taking it with me to get a coffee then come back & check it in later when the crowd dwindles." He says "I thought as much, but sorry but you can't come through here carrying a bag with a leatherman tool, a first aid kit containing a nice looking pocket knife plus some scissors and you got no chance of taking them big ass metal cork screw things ( screw-it tie downs! ) either."

I'm guessing that my attempt to carry through these banned items was so obvious that they could see it was my mistake not an actual threat and I am glad that they at least had the sense to see it that way.

So I had to sit outside the secure area & wait:augie:

022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif You weren't planning use them to tie down the Virgin plane were you??

• 1 month later...

This is good:

Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

"A stranded jet-skier seeking help effortlessly overcame the Port Authority’s $100 million, supposedly state-of-the-art security system at JFK Airport — walking undetected across two runways and into a terminal, The Post has learned.

Motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras of the Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, or PIDS, were no match for Daniel Casillo, 31, of Howard Beach, who easily breached the system meant to safeguard against terrorists.... Dripping wet and in a bright-yellow life jacket, Casillo climbed the perimeter fence, which is eight feet high, and walked across that runway and intersecting Runway 31L — and made it all the way to Terminal 3 without anyone noticing."

This is good:Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

"A stranded jet-skier seeking help effortlessly overcame the Port Authority’s $100 million, supposedly state-of-the-art security system at JFK Airport — walking undetected across two runways and into a terminal, The Post has learned.

Motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras of the Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, or PIDS, were no match for Daniel Casillo, 31, of Howard Beach, who easily breached the system meant to safeguard against terrorists.... Dripping wet and in a bright-yellow life jacket, Casillo climbed the perimeter fence, which is eight feet high, and walked across that runway and intersecting Runway 31L — and made it all the way to Terminal 3 without anyone noticing."

Oh dear, the Yanks will be back to the drawing board with increased levels of security. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Thats hilarious. Wonder where the people monitoring the camera feeds were? Hell, even get an infra red camera to set off a preemptive alert if a thermal mass larger than a certain size gets within x meters... that'd work and be relatively cheap, too.

Would have loved to see the look on the staff's faces when they realised what had happened :D

- boingk

Guest Howard Hughes
Oh dear, the Yanks will be back to the drawing board with increased levels of security. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

That won't end well for us...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif