Preflight Checks, What do you find?

Super Cheap auto, Repco, etc sell it-been around as long as forever. Out of balance would occur more if you put a lot in a large dia tyre. It's really designed to be used after you have the puncture and then fix later. As indicated in a previous post pilots use it before the puncture and it prevents air from leaking out. For a small a/c tyre, thats what I would do now that it was mentioned. To store it I would look around for a sealable metal screw on cannister from Coles, Red Dot, etc to put it in and then into your cockpit. If it releases foam, then the cannister will collect it all.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Cheap auto, Repco, etc sell it-been around as long as forever. Out of balance would occur more if you put a lot in a large dia tyre. It's really designed to be used after you have the puncture and then fix later. As indicated in a previous post pilots use it before the puncture and it prevents air from leaking out. For a small a/c tyre, thats what I would do now that it was mentioned. To store it I would look around for a sealable metal screw on cannister from Coles, Red Dot, etc to put it in and then into your cockpit. If it releases foam, then the cannister will collect it all.

That sounds great but somehow, you'd have to jack up the plane to take the pressure off the flat tyre as you fill it with the goopy goo.

Someone [you] can lift one wing up while some innocent bystander puts the stuff in your tyre. [ok for light planes] To do the job alone you would have to make up a small special purpose jack from a car or whatever. I think Id be doing that for my next a/c. A blown or slow leaking tyre is so easy to get and big job to get the wheel off in some planes. I know one guy who spent hours trying to get a screw out to release his brake assembly so he could put on a new tyre.. Gave up and went on a 8000 mile trip as is.

Someone [you] can lift one wing up while some innocent bystander puts the stuff in your tyre. [ok for light planes] To do the job alone you would have to make up a small special purpose jack from a car or whatever. I think Id be doing that for my next a/c. A blown or slow leaking tyre is so easy to get and big job to get the wheel off in some planes. I know one guy who spent hours trying to get a screw out to release his brake assembly so he could put on a new tyre.. Gave up and went on a 8000 mile trip as is.

I always wonder what pilots like John (JG3 on this forum) do when they're outback and get a flat tyre. He lands his Savannah on some rough airstrips.

I have used Finny leak (Its a Brand) in a motor bike tyre.No problems with balance.But you have to ride off straight away so that the stuff will spread evenly in the tyre due to centrifugall force.Also used it in a BFG All terrain tyre.It is supposed to be a tempory fix.lol That tyre stayed inflated for a couple of years , until eventually had to replace the tyre for a new one as it is was worn out.

Rats can chew through just about anything from communications cables including optic fibre to anything that presents itself as an obstacle to the little blighters. BobPS They make good pets!

A friend heard noises in the wall of his study. On investigation he found mice had chewed through the wall and into his books! His very old books on engineering and calculus were converted to mice nests! Proves he hadn't read those books for many years.

The mice ended up knowing everything having digested all that knowledge

Dazza it was Finelec. I had a tyre that ( unknown to me ) had some of it used and it went down on me ( Don't be rude) at high speed Ok while I was moving fast but difficult as you slowed down. I still think it's illegal. If you get stuck somewhere you can pack the tyre with dried grass, in an emergency. Nev

I heard as you're flying the stuff collects at the bottom of the tyre and eventually hardens enough to stay there. Do touch and go's all the way home wherever you can.

That makes sense.Unless you have a 15 Km runway.(lol) It takes a fair distance to get the stuff to spread evenly inside the tyre.Very good point Sapphire.

The mice ended up knowing everything having digested all that knowledgeDazza it was Finelec. I had a tyre that ( unknown to me ) had some of it used and it went down on me ( Don't be rude) at high speed Ok while I was moving fast but difficult as you slowed down. I still think it's illegal. If you get stuck somewhere you can pack the tyre with dried grass, in an emergency. Nev

We know what you meant Nev (he gets them in doesn't he)

You can also take the tyre off and run on the rim (I got this from watching "Cops".

What every happen to the Balls . That was being in dirt bike tyres?Apparently a tyre would hold multiple balls fitted beside each other.Same Diameter as the tyre(internal).I think it was trialed in the Dakar a few years ago.Too many Bib Mousse tubes where over heating and letting go because they where heating up too much on the road transport sections.

Aircraft rims being spilt rims.I reckon the Balls would be OK to fit.I think they where expensive though.Also they probably wouldnt be made for the same internal diameter as the run of the mill aircraft tyre.Wouldnt be approved either.

If I was putting that leak sealant in the tyre as a preventative measure, I'd have a little electric motor rigged up to turn the tyre all night. Just get an old washing machine motor, take off the pully and the shaft rubbing against the tyre will turn it. Or you can sit there all night turning it yourself.

What every happen to the Balls . That was being in dirt bike tyres?Apparently a tyre would hold multiple balls fitted beside each other.Same Diameter as the tyre(internal).I think it was trialed in the Dakar a few years ago.Too many Bib Mousse tubes where over heating and letting go because they where heating up too much on the road transport sections.Aircraft rims being spilt rims.I reckon the Balls would be OK to fit.I think they where expensive though.Also they probably wouldnt be made for the same internal diameter as the run of the mill aircraft tyre.Wouldnt be approved either.

Talking about balls, I am watching the Isle of Mann TT on channel 1.Those guys have massive balls

There is something to this, but I dont get it.It is over my head Tubs.

It was the reverse of looking at your roof and finding part of an aircraft had gone through it. What the most likely machine to send a piston 1000 ft into the air?

There is a goo you can buy, that once in the tyre, remains liquid, it only goes off once it begins to come out the puncture hole . It was bright green ( or one of them was) so that you would notice that there was a hole. It came in an unpressurised container and was put in the tube/tyre when fitted, as opposed to put in after the leak. Here's some similar stuff I found a link to-

http://www.truebluegoo.net/apply.html

While we're on the topic of aircraft tyres, could anyone enlighten me why they are tubed rather than (the somewhat lighter) tubeless tyres?

Mainly because most aircraft wheels spilt into two equal halves..

Mainly because most aircraft wheels spilt into two equal halves..

I was mainly wondering because puncture repairs are usually easier with tubeless tyres. You can buy a nice little kit from the 4WD shop that takes care of them. With tubes, it's a bit different.

So, you've flown out to a small country strip, for a relief break, no one around, no tools.

You walk back to the aircraft and find a tyre flat........no jack or lifting method other than your muscles, no pump, no tools.

Can't use the tube filler because it doesn't jack the wheel.

What do you do?

So, you've flown out to a small country strip, for a relief break, no one around, no tools.You walk back to the aircraft and find a tyre flat........no jack or lifting method other than your muscles, no pump, no tools.

Can't use the tube filler because it doesn't jack the wheel.

What do you do?

This was Sapphire's suggestion:

But, I agree turbo, you're not always going to be able to find that "someone" to assist. Carrying a jack adds extra kgs to the plane's overall weight. It's a hard call so the approach to be used depends on the aircraft mission.

• Like 1