OzRunways Vs AvPlan

OzRunways Vs AvPlan. Both appear to be very good, simarly priced and well suited to our conditions.

Does anybody have experience with these applications? Cheers Ferris.

Ferris,

Download both from the iStore and give them a try. Both have free 30-day trials.

I went with AVPlan, because at the time it seemed to have more features and was easier to use (in my opinion) - I believe that OzRunways have made quite a few improvements since then. I've used mine inflight, as a backup to paper and the GPS, and it is accurate and easy to use.

Mal

Ferris,Download both from the iStore and give them a try. Both have free 30-day trials.

I went with AVPlan, because at the time it seemed to have more features and was easier to use (in my opinion) - I believe that OzRunways have made quite a few improvements since then. I've used mine inflight, as a backup to paper and the GPS, and it is accurate and easy to use.

Mal

Thanks Mal, I've spoken to a couple of people who have OzRunways, but apart from yourself have not been able to find anybody who knows about AvPlan. One OzRunways user in particular was going to down load AvPlan and compare the two. I have considered trialling the free versions, but they both seem very complex and to learn two different programs at the same time would probably end up being very confusing. Those that are using OzRunways are certainly very happy with it, but AvPlan seems to have more user friendly features. I hope this doesn't end up in a Rotax vs Jabiru type discussion! Cheers Ferris.

OzRunways Vs AvPlan. Both appear to be very good, simarly priced and well suited to our conditions.Does anybody have experience with these applications? Cheers Ferris.

You could check out the discussion here:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/462383-avplan-vs-ozrunways-2-0-a.html

Sorry for mentioning another site, Ian!!

I have Ozrunways , avplan and air nav pro,

Air nav pro now lacks au av maps ( it used to have them ) so it falls behind badly

I find Ozrunways easy to use though the route planing is a bit raw yet, but I think a new version with improved planning is not far away. Single destination and use as a general map gps is easy as is overall use. It seems to be developing and improving at a fairly fast rate.

My choice of the three, especially as an in-air gps

I have Ozrunways , avplan and air nav pro, Air nav pro now lacks au av maps ( it used to have them ) so it falls behind badly ...

Hi

Don't understand what the comment about AirNav refers to. I have both AirNav and Ozrunways and like them both. My AirNav has all current charts including the new VNC's and planning is extremely easy as multiple charts can be open at the same time. The cost is higher than Ozrunways, however and not quite as portable as it is running on a laptop rather than my iPad.

There is now an iPad version but I'm happy to stay with Ozrunways for the long term.

Kaz

Maybe I am missing something but I cannot find au av maps anywhere in the in app - map store

NZ is the closest it gets.

Would be nice if I could get maps as I have paid for the app.

A friend has au av maps on his but I don't think he can update them anymore.

Open to suggestions or correction as map access would be good

Maybe I am missing something but I cannot find au av maps anywhere in the in app - map storeNZ is the closest it gets.

Would be nice if I could get maps as I have paid for the app.

A friend has au av maps on his but I don't think he can update them anymore.

Open to suggestions or correction as map access would be good

Tracktop, Kaz is probably talking about Sentient airnav which as everyone knows does have the oz maps, you clearly said Air Nav Pro which I would agree with you does not have current aus maps. Two different programs entirely.

I use both Oz Ruways & Air Nav Pro and find Air Nav a little easier to use when route planning. I was been using Air nav before Oz Rways had the route planning module so maybe a little more comfortable with it. It is a pity that Air nav no longer has the Aus Av maps, only a street map but you are able to select and overlay the airspaces on this map. As I always have the paper map and use Air nav as back up it has not really been a bother. I did read on there web site that they will make the maps available as soon as they can sort out the issues with getting them. The other advantage with Air nav it is a 1 off payment, no subscriptions.

All said and done both excellent products.

Not familiar with AvPlan, does it have Aus Av maps??

Not familiar with AvPlan, does it have Aus Av maps??

Hi Dave,

AVPlan has all the Airservices charts available for download, with fewer charts for the VFR subscription (no approach plates etc.). There is also a 'MegaWAC', which shows the whole country - useful for doing meta-planning on one chart, then drilling down to VNC and VTC when/where required.

Mal

Thanks Mal, I've spoken to a couple of people who have OzRunways, but apart from yourself have not been able to find anybody who knows about AvPlan. One OzRunways user in particular was going to down load AvPlan and compare the two. I have considered trialling the free versions, but they both seem very complex and to learn two different programs at the same time would probably end up being very confusing. Those that are using OzRunways are certainly very happy with it, but AvPlan seems to have more user friendly features.I hope this doesn't end up in a Rotax vs Jabiru type discussion! Cheers Ferris.

Bet it does end with rotax vs jab.

It is a pity that Air nav no longer has the Aus Av maps, only a street map but you are able to select and overlay the airspaces on this map. As I always have the paper map and use Air nav as back up it has not really been a bother.??

The overlay concerns me as it varies quite a bit from the air space marked on the chart, very noticeable with the lane though Williamtown Controlled air space.

Unlike the Rotax vs Jab discussion this isn't about reliability.

All 3 ( and there are others as well) do a similar job and are continually improving ( at time leap frogging one another in features ).

Depending on where, how and in what we fly means we have different requirement from a gps / nav program.

What suits one best may not be the best option for someone with slightly different priorities.

The 3 all have 1 month free trial, including all maps and data so wait until you are due to fly. Load em up and practice each a few days before you fly. REMEMBER if you are testing them in the air, don't try learning how to use them in air as you will have you head down for too long and not be keeping a good lookout.

A good method to learn how to drive the software beforehand is to get your friend/ partner etc to drive the car while u play with the iPad.

Is anyone going to the OzRunways seminar at Maitland (RNAC) tomorrow afternoon? If so I will see you there.

I am in the market for one of those programs, buggered if I am going to confuse myself with two different programs though, I am just going to choose one and run with it, so this discussion is interesting to me.

Thanks guys.

Is anyone going to the OzRunways seminar at Maitland (RNAC) tomorrow afternoon? If so I will see you there.I am in the market for one of those programs, buggered if I am going to confuse myself with two different programs though, I am just going to choose one and run with it, so this discussion is interesting to me.

Thanks guys.

Gday David, I have both ozrunways and air nav. In my opinion ozrunways is far superior in most aspects and features including ease of operation. The one exception is initial flight planning in order to print and have your current charts with you in the aircraft. Air nav is very good in this regard. I find the new app for air nav not a simple process. I recently attended an ozrunways seminar at Renmark SA and found it excellent. The blokes were extremely helpful and knew their stuff, willingly gave one on one. The other thing I like about oarunways is the constant improvement and updating. (I have been using it now since it first hit the market) . Also they offer excellent support and always reply to calls for help in sorting out any issues that I've had. Ozrunways gets my vote.

Regards Bruce