How accurate should my flying be??

To see a SWER line you look for the poles NOT the wires as you can't see them from 500 mtrs anyway. But the poles stand out...single pole no crossarm is a dead give away

I agree 110%. Peeps should be looking for poles.Not for wires.Also flying in valleys, be very wary of wire being strung from one peak to the next, across a valley over a big distance.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be accurate - but I reckon it's got a lot to do with a persons attitude.

Doing school/club comps are a great way of keeping up that finesse, I did one just recently actually, was great fun - flour bombing, spot landings with glide approach etc.. but in this comp you weren't just marked on the accuracy of the bomb, or landing. It was almost a flight test in that the instructor marked you on everything from when you closed that door. I enjoyed every minute of it - the best thing is afterwards you can look at your score sheet and see where you didn't get such high marks, and things you did well at. And then you can adjust yourself from there.

Flying with other pilots is also a good way to learn and observe, or observe and learn! Not to mention other aircraft as well, if you're in a position to have that opportunity.

I think if i had a lot of money and was able to fly every day I would be a better pilot.

And just extending this line of thought to something that most adults do every day - Drive a car- how is it then that that we don't have a TV show called "world's best drivers" ( cause we practice every day!). Last time I drove( today), I counted 9 vehicles hogging the right lane, 4 that failed to indicate, 3 that crossed outside their lane onto the wrong side of the road, and 1 that drove through a red light.My guess is that they drive every day.... practice makes permanent, not perfect.

Experience and recency can( does) and should help a pilot -but the myriad of accident reports are riddled with many 1000 hr + pilots( some many more than that) who come to grief, and sometimes take hundreds of innocent people with them. Obviously experience and recency alone are not enough.

The purpose of the thread was to stimulate pilots to be the best that they can be TODAY, on this flight, not last week, last month, next week etc. I strongly believe if this is the focus, then we will become better and safer pilots. From the amount of posts, I am pleased to see that many have taken the concept as a thought provoking concept for betterment- well done to all those pilots. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

• Like 2

^ how true Ballpoint, I find taxi drivers are the very worst on the road despite their many hours each year - and generally truck drivers the best / most precise.

Dunno about Tomo's flour bombs, pretty sure there would be CASA regulations against that. 50 penalty points or something, more if it was near CASA headquarters or parliament house. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

I think if i had a lot of money and was able to fly every day I would be a better pilot.

I think if I had a lot of money and was able to fly every day, then I wouldn't have a lot of money any more... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

• Like 2

Accuracy is really only part of the answer. Attitudes, risk management, common sense.... So many things add up to being a good pilot. Having been away for several weeks, today I took our J170 and J230 up for an hour and a half or so of circuits, glide approaches, half flaps, full flaps landings, touch and go without lowering the nose wheel etc. Other tasks like refuelling properly, daily inspections, maintenance releases, weather.... Until you're away for a time you don't appreciate all the intracacies of flying until you return to it and then it sinks in.... This is serious stuff we do, maybe for fun, but I know of no other "hobby" that involves as much.

The most fun I had today was the sheer joy of flying S&L for half an hour wending my way from Murray Bridge to Mannum along the river at 2000' (accurately) and sight seeing, then setting up for a precise descent rate at 10 miles out to join mid-field XW at circuit height. Ideally no variations in engine, trim or attitude to nail it. These are personal exercises I suggest our students try for themselves.

Gaining accuracy is a great learning process, and very important, certainly will save your life one day, so keep practising.

• Like 2

And just extending this line of thought to something that most adults do every day - Drive a car- how is it then that that we don't have a TV show called "world's best drivers" ( cause we practice every day!). Last time I drove( today), I counted 9 vehicles hogging the right lane, 4 that failed to indicate, 3 that crossed outside their lane onto the wrong side of the road, and 1 that drove through a red light.My guess is that they drive every day.... practice makes permanent, not perfect.Experience and recency can( does) and should help a pilot -but the myriad of accident reports are riddled with many 1000 hr + pilots( some many more than that) who come to grief, and sometimes take hundreds of innocent people with them. Obviously experience and recency alone are not enough.

The purpose of the thread was to stimulate pilots to be the best that they can be TODAY, on this flight, not last week, last month, next week etc. I strongly believe if this is the focus, then we will become better and safer pilots. From the amount of posts, I am pleased to see that many have taken the concept as a thought provoking concept for betterment- well done to all those pilots. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

I do think i am a good driver. As most people in this forum would think the same of them self. And i never hog the right lane.

And as far as making myself a better pilot i have been flying around in turbulence on purpose and the reason for this is i hate turbulence and have a great fear of it. And i am very determined to be a good pilot.

And one thing i say to myself before every take off now is in case of engine failure i will land strait ahead and mybe go to hospital and not turn around and go to the morgue.

I saw this saying in the last RAA mag and thought it was very good.

• Like 1