What books do I actually need to go from RAAus to PPL?

I have an RA-Aus Piot Certificate with cross country endorsement, so passed all the Ra-Aus exams.

I find my knowledge of theory is diminishing over time, and I like studying, and I might one day want a PPL, so want to do the PPL exams.

I understand I need to pass a BAK exam and a PPL exam?

I have been looking at books for home study but there are a lot out there. Specifically I have looked at the Dyson-Holland ones as I used those for RA-Aus, but there are multiple volumes and they all look the same to me.

Does anyone know which are recommended books, or which are the DH ones actually needed?

Thanks for the help

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I've just started the transition from RA to GA. I have had to sit the GA BAK, the Radio exam, & pre-area solo (for Moorabbin). Still to do is the final PPL exam. I'm using the Bob Tait books, which I've found to be easy to follow, and have 'refreshed' my memory.

My new CFI has estimated 10 hours of GA time, including minimum of 2 hours of instrument flight. It will probably be more than that given the reality of getting in and out of controlled airspace, and the requirement for a 120(? could be 150?)nm 2-stop solo nav flight.

I learnt in a Texan (ab-initio) and SportStar (bulk of my Navs) and now own an Allegro, and I've found the Warrior to be just like a big docile Texan or SportStar - doesn't really stall, control inputs a bit heavier and you need to provide input a little earlier to deal with the weight. Comparing the Allegro with the Warrior is like comparing an armchair with a unicycle!

Mal

• Like 1

Bob Tait's books were the ones recommended to me by my RACWA instructor. The two you want would be the BAK and PPL books. They also have some PPL practice test papers you can do on-line and they will score them for you.

rgmwa

Bob Tait's books were the ones recommended to me by my RACWA instructor. The two you want would be the BAK and PPL books. They also have some PPL practice test papers you can do on-line and they will score them for you.rgmwa

Rdarby - go with the Bob Tait books as noted above. Have found they cover it all. If you have really learned nav in your RAA training,(to close to GA standard), and are conversant with your G airspace procedures - then you should be able to convert with 2 hrs IF,(some of which can be logged on navs), plus perhaps 1 dual nav, 1 solo nav, and an hour or two 'performance' and gross weight practice - totalling maybe 8-10 hrs. Flight test with ATO on top of this. CTA may or may not be posible in these times - depends on where you are, and how sharp your flying is.

happy days,

Rdarby

I find it's best to get your theory from as many sources as possible that way you consolidate the information from different perspectives. When i did my PPL theory i started using the Trevor Thom books (BAK and PPL theory) but i found it difficult to understand the content so i switched to the Bob Tait books. These i found explained the info in a much more friendly and familiar manner. Once i understood the basic information i then went back to the Trevor Thom books for more detail and indepth information.

I also have a set of the Dyson-Holland books which are also quite good.

good luck

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered the Bob Tait ones from Ian.

Now to find a school who understands what a Pilot Certificate is in the local area - anyone recommend one in the Caboolture or Redcliffe Areas?

• Like 1

I've just ordered the Bob Tait ones from Ian.Now to find a school who understands what a Pilot Certificate is in the local area - anyone recommend one in the Caboolture or Redcliffe Areas?

try

http://www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au/home.html

(07) 3203 1777

They used to have a formal RAA to PPL process on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

that Jim Davis book looks really good, there are a few sample pages on his site. Assume its the same Jim Davis who writes the Tips and Traps article in Australian Flying? This month's was really good btw, and very timely... did an article on how to do circuits in crosswinds. I read it, but then on Saturday I went out and experienced it in earnest for the first time, then went back and read it again and it made alot more sense!

• 2 weeks later...