Practical Radio Training

Hi,

I'm nearly ready to take my PPL flight test, but need to improve my radio calls. Can anyone recommend a practical ground school/online course to help someone master radio calls in Ausralian airspace?

Thanks in advance

Hi,I'm nearly ready to take my PPL flight test, but need to improve my radio calls. Can anyone recommend a practical ground school/online course to help someone master radio calls in Ausralian airspace?

Thanks in advance

An interesting request; I hope someone has some info about this.

(In NZ, the Civil Aviation Authority's safety division issues a DVD with radio training/simulation on it)

G'day, where about's are you training?

I'm assuming you would like training more in the traffic control type radio calls than CTAF?

When I was learning to fly way back when the Trevor Thom Flight Radio Handbook was the publication of choice for learning radio procedures. It covers most commonly encountered situations when flying. You occasionally see the entire Trevor Thom series of books for sale on Ebay (2nd hand). Good luck.

Billwoodmason

Guest Howard Hughes
When I was learning to fly way back when the Trevor Thom Flight Radio Handbook was the publication of choice for learning radio procedures.

When I was learning to fly I had a cassette tape (remember them) with morse code on it, you can't get anymore practical than that!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I reckon we might even find a few round here that can transmit morse, not only receive it! Facthunter perhaps??012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Still have my Morse Code send and receive skills from my merchant navy days although I have lost a little speed now. Officially I passed at 20 words per min, the fastest I ever got was 28 words per min. On commercial circuits we usually stayed between 16-18 words per minute. A great system because there was a human being at either end of the circuit, and the brain is the ultimate frequency-agile, selective filtering device ever known to man.

When I was learning to fly I had a cassette tape (remember them) with morse code on it, you can't get anymore practical than that!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifI reckon we might even find a few round here that can transmit morse, not only receive it! Facthunter perhaps??012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

When Tomo first came on this site he had no English, could only communicate in morse code, got a lot past the moderators too!

• Like 1

dhowels, Mate I think from memory of only a few years ago CASA have a DVD produced for this purpose, I still have it somewhere I think, but mine was Distributed by Raaus ? Try one of these two , you may get it for Nuffin if your lucky ! Cheers Lance

I reckon we might even find a few round here that can transmit morse, not only receive it! Facthunter perhaps??012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Actually, it is easier to transmit morse than receive it. As a HAM radio operator I did morse years ago and could easily transmit ten words a minute but could only manage five words a minute on receive.

Hi,I'm nearly ready to take my PPL flight test, but need to improve my radio calls. Can anyone recommend a practical ground school/online course to help someone master radio calls in Ausralian airspace?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for all your replies, they were very useful and have given me some leads to pursue.

Cheers

Damon

I reckon we might even find a few round here that can transmit morse, not only receive it! Facthunter perhaps??012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifActually, it is easier to transmit morse than receive it. As a HAM radio operator I did morse years ago and could easily transmit ten words a minute but could only manage five words a minute on receive.

That was requirement back then for anyone wanting to use the HF frequencies. Allegedly, Dick Smith could never learn morse so he became a VHF/UHF/SHF ham radio operator only.