Important Message

Admin

Guest Howard Hughes

I like the blue one! (not that I was asked) gallery_298_17_4640-jpg.18875

Although the large size, might ruin the formatting of posts.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi IanHave you thought about a forum heading for 95-10 aircraft only

My thoughts are if potential flyers can read about 95-10 aircraft they might realize that they can get flying in their own aircraft for $3000 to $6000 and have fun and not need $35000 and up to get their own aircraft.

How many of us would be flying if we had to start out thinking we had to purchase a $35000 plus aircraft.

I feel that the availability of 95-10 aircraft aren't mentioned enough in the rec aviation anymore.

Remember thats what got the movement going and if its not kept being promoted a lot of young potential flyers might just buy a boat or something else instead

Just my thoughs

Haven't been following this thread up till now but I'll second Roberts thought on this one. We have to attract young people, what better than to come up with a design and start a blog on ALL the steps to build such a plane. This could be aimed at father/son/daughter projects or even high school class rooms. Obviously, the proof of the pudding flying would have to left to some one who is qualified.

Second thought. Could we produce a half hour video that could be put out there some how. Do you remember the little mag that AUF put out some years ago. I think it was called Flying Start. In it there was a brief introduction to every type of flying that came under the AUF umbrella. This is what got me started. Something like this could be complemented with some build blogs of the more simple/cheap planes. Most important the message that 'Ultralights' and Recreational Aircraft are safe provided the necessary rules are applied. We might even be able to educate news-team reporters who so often get it wrong.

I dare say that RA.Aus will have something to say on this (stealing their thunder) but we can but try.

• Like 2

I think the site is ok as it is, it could be better but I can't think of a single change that will bring in a bunch of new people or advertisers.

A maillist would be a good monetisation tool for your advertisers.

And using the site resources for organising off line activities would be interesting as well.

This is still continuing to be fantastic in helping out the site...My task list so far, and is growing, is:

1. Review the way the Photo Gallery is used...investigate other possible products and/or enhancements to the current one (post 2)

2. Explore ways to entice visitors to register and join in (post 6, 8, 15, 37, 38)

3. Fix Site Donation Link (post 17) - FIXED

4. Explore what members want in terms of the locking down of Social Groups (post 18)

5. Enhance the Search function to allow words of less than 4 characters (post 19)

6. Enhance the Mobile Style (post 23)

7. Place reminder note next to submit button "Have you checked your post and are familiar with posting rules" (post 25)

8. Promote the shop more...home page and site header (post 27-29)

9. Explore other means of promoting the site (post 30)

10. Fix the Chat Room and now use Aust hosting for faster video/voice (post 31)

11. Improved method for spell checking (post 35)

12. 95-10 aircraft only section (post 41)

13. Feature News Story needs greater variety rather then "Lessons to Learn" (post 42)

14. Review navigation structure and see if it can be simplified or made easier (post 43)

15. Invite interested parties into the site (post 43)

16. Serious thread answers get lost...perhaps an aviation FAQ section, may not be practical and add to confusion (post 44)

17. Get RAAus participation...not likely as this has been tried many times over 8 years but tomorrow is another day (post 46)

18. Tongue in cheek smilies (post 48) - FIXED

Over the last week I have been revisiting the vBulletin solution...although just playing around at the moment, it has solutions for just about all of the above plus more...if you want to have a look at an old version that I played with you can see it at http://www.aircraftpilots.net/ although a more advanced version is currently on my PC for experimenting. I hope this explains why I haven't just jumped in and worked on the above list yet.

These ideas are great so please keep them coming

Good afternoon Ian,I've got a "search" bar thingy covering the alerts and such at the top, on the right hand side. Is there some way I can move it about an inch upwards so it's out of the way please?

Is that better?

There is a 15 pixel padding on the left and right of each main menu item...this is ok "IF" you are not viewing the site using 1024x768 resolution whilst at the same time using a long username...put the two together and I could see the problem...I removed 1 pixel from the left and right padding of menu items which freed up more real estate on the right of the main menu for long usernames when using a small screen resolution.

If there is anyone else still having an issue like this please let me know

G'day Ian,

Just a question/suggestion.

In relation to the classifieds, could you group them, one folder for Aircraft, sub folders possibly so they can be seperated, I don't know what sub folders, maybe microlights as one and ultralights as another, LSA's etc etc? And then also a folder within classifieds for Accessories, could house, the various engines, props, instruments, pilot requirements?

• Like 1

Most of the young flyers I come across are keen to make flying their career/profession. Whilst I think it is great that they are exposed to "recreational" it appears to me that this is not where they headed. The majority of new flyers who will be learning in and staying with recreational appear to me to be in the 40+ age group. They have the time and the resources. Given that people appear to be flying into their 70's with the medical licensing requirements of RAAus and RPL this means they may be in the sport over 20 years. I think the "future" of our sport is as much or more to do with encouraging "older" pilots as it is "youth". How about scholarships for oldies? I would like to see a section for "mature age" student pilots.

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Ian. Is it possible to get alerts emailed or SMS'd to oneself when anyone you follow makes a comment or likes something on the forums? I haven't been able to work out how to do that and I often miss getting involved in interesting conversations if I don't check in on the forum every night - and who has time to do that!? augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Sorry if this is already an option - I just can't seem to find it in my settings.

Thanks,

Robyn

PS. It's a great site BTW! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Robyn

The only email notifications you can receive from the site is when someone replies to a thread that you have posted in or someone starts a conversation with you. To check that you have this enabled, go to your Settings -> Preferences and see whether the two check boxes as indicated in the screen shot below are ticked:

1.jpg.31ed4f0225b8f4d551ad9ff135af6005.jpg

RobynThe only email notifications you can receive from the site is when someone replies to a thread that you have posted in or someone starts a conversation with you. To check that you have this enabled, go to your Settings -> Preferences and see whether the two check boxes as indicated in the screen shot below are ticked:

[ATTACH]18930[/ATTACH]

Thanks Ian. Yep, my email alerts work because I got your reply as an email. :-)

If I sign up using my Facebook account does that mean I will get notified if someone I'm following on Fb posts on these forums?

Robyn, the answer to that is no sorry however, you can see who of your friends are registered here by going to the Members page and looking in the right column, if you are currently logged in by using your Facebook account:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/members/

Robyn, the answer to that is no sorry however, you can see who of your friends are registered here by going to the Members page and looking in the right column, if you are currently logged in by using your Facebook account:http://www.recreationalflying.com/members/

Thanks for your help Ian. Much appreciated.

Robyn