Throttle or thrust lever

J170 Owner

Wouldn't have aclue about the throttle / thrust lever thing, but that was an interesting show. Did anyone else see the control inputs during the stall test? The footage from the outside of the aircraft made it look pretty tame but the pilot was pretty damn busy on the controls, including a lot of aileron movement?

Throttle relates to restricting or not restricting the flow of fuel/air in the intake of a conventional engine which produces horsepower. SHP. Shaft Horse Power.

Jet engines produce thrust, so thrust lever(s) is more appropriate. Auto throttle can be set up to give you a "power" ( in a jet perhaps derated). If you use it after landing to slow you up, it is called Reverse THRUST. Sometimes the auto throttle lever is called a "GO" lever. You will get the terminology from the manual when you are endorsed. Nev

• Like 2

Some aircraft I have been involved with (mostly military), refer to it as the "Power Lever". When rigging engines they often refer to different settings as degrees or percentage of PLM (Power Lever Movement).

Throttle relates to restricting or not restricting the flow of fuel/air in the intake of a conventional engine which produces horsepower. SHP. Shaft Horse Power.Jet engines produce thrust, so thrust lever(s) is more appropriate. Auto throttle can be set up to give you a "power" ( in a jet perhaps derated). If you use it after landing to slow you up, it is called Reverse THRUST. Sometimes the auto throttle lever is called a "GO" lever. You will get the terminology from the manual when you are endorsed. Nev

Yeah, I think it all depends on what the manufacturer wants to call it. I've seen throttles, thrust levers, power levers and PCL (power control lever).

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the thinnest book in the library is "The Collected Wit of Malcolm Fraser", closely followed by "The Political Acumen of the federal Australian Labor Party". Neither of these "weighty tomes" has a single page between the covers.

Second thinnest book is the "IMO Recommendations On The Handling Of Pirates At Sea". It actually has a single page which takes ten paragraphs to say "give them anything they want and don't upset them." It is so light the publishers had to add weights to the covers to prevent it floating off the chart-table and vanishing overboard!

Now, on a turbofan or pure jet aircraft I've always known it to be a "thrust-lever". On a reciprocating engine aircraft I've always understood the correct term to be "throttle", FWIW.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

Throttle, thrust lever, power lever, does it really matter? Push forward go faster and/or climb, pull back go slower and/or descend, or are we going to get into the power versus attitude debate now? poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif