Oil

Compulsion

Can Jabiru owners with 2200 engines tell me how much oil per hour your aircraft uses. I am trying to get an idea of an average. I intend to fill up to half of the full mark then fly for an hour let it all settle then check the use.

Try asking "bush pilot" via a pm if he doesn't see your post.

He has much experience with running jab engines and would have a good idea of how much oil his jabirus use.

Can Jabiru owners with 2200 engines tell me how much oil per hour your aircraft uses. I am trying to get an idea of an average. I intend to fill up to half of the full mark then fly for an hour let it all settle then check the use.

That won't work. Try fifty hours.

I keep a log on oil burn/use. Average between 25 to 30 mls per hour. On long trips it goes up but I fill up into the cross hatches on the dip tick and most ends up in the overflow bottle but I prefer to not be worried about oil burn/use if flying for 4 plus hrs in one hop

For local flying I only have about one quarter inch or less on the dip stick resulting in very little burn/use

I was talking to a bloke from Cairns who has made a stainless steel collector fitted between breather and overflow bottle and he states that he adds nothing between 25hr oil changes

I don't have the skills or equipment to make one of them so just add oil as required.

Realistly we are talking about mltrs when flying GA we are talking about ltr bottles to top up. 30 odd mills per hour seems quite acceptable to me.

FrankM

FrankM

Around 50 ml per hour. Before overhaul it was more than 100 ml caused by rings that were stuck resulting in combustion gasses blowing past the rings and the overflow bottle filling up fast.

RobW, some people like me recommend pulling the motor through before every series of flights and getting to know what "feel" a good compression engine has. Engines with a lot of blow by should not be flying.

Collecting oil that has gone out the breather and re-using it, I would not recommend. It is contaminated and is poor economy to return it to the engine. 30-50 mls/hour would not be excessive. Most engines expel it rather than burn it, but you do not know where the oil is being consumed so it's not a complete determinant of engine condition. You could have all the excess oil going down one valve guide and not know it. You can check valve guide clearance with the tappet cover off. This is the FIT in the guide , not the tappett clearance. You need a dial indicator. Nev

My 230 uses very little oil up to about 12-15 hours after an oil change

Progressivly uses more until the 25 hour change

i use 15w50 and would add around one lt for the 25 hours or around 40 mls an hour

The collector is about half full by then.

30 ml/hr seems about right, my old engine got up to around 80 but very consistant

If you over fill them they can blow out much more leading to false readings

I keep a log of what is put in and measure volume in overflow at 25 hr changes

Yes you can tell this minor level changes, just 200 - 300ml from off the stick to the top mark (and very overfull)

I have one of those Stainless catch can bottles here for sale if anyones interested. Very good results but due to some differences on my engine wont fit properly.

if u ain't checking the oil before your flight....youre kidding yourself!

I think the query was about the specific oil indications on the dip stik?

Because the indication is at the top section of the oil level then the tendency is to over fill. I use my average oil burn as a guide to top up on long flights and so far it has worked perfectly.

I have flowen 20 plus types of GA aircraft (as no doubt you have) previously and not experienced the same observations on checking oil levels

Your comment about pre flight is relevant but on these engions mid way whilst the engion is still hot the dip stick is unreliable and the tendency is to overfill. (the indication is lower then actual whilst hot)

I don't presume to advise anyone how to treat their aircraft but forward my experiences with the J230 engine over the last 400hrs for their info/consideration. Only.

On long flights because I tend to be conservative in nature I add 50 to 100 mls (depending on my next leg) every 2hrs and end up with most in the overflow bottle . Just my approach and it works well. (I don't want to think about oil level in flight)

Am interested to hear other approaches - only on long flights though.

FrankM

Yep we burn around 30ml per hour. Jabiru reckon that's pretty low and 50ml per hour is more average. You shouldn't fill it to the middle of the hash marks, just til there's about 5mm on the bottom of the stick for local flying. And yes you will get a much better idea of your oil usage over time.

"I have one of those Stainless catch can bottles here for sale if anyones interested."Am interested. More info please, especially in light of a recent suggestion that it's not a good idea to turn expelled oil to the engine.

The bottle is a catch can, sits along top of engine. Common on truck and car engines. The blow by is a gassy oil/air mix. When engine running this oily gas blows into overflow bottle and condenses there. Water and other crud too. Some oil blows overboard especially when overfull in engine. Older engines with more wear blow extra too.

This catch can has baffles which catch the oil vapour and because of location can drain back into engine. Water etc should keep going into overflow bottle

Theory is well proven and those using them seem very happy and back to near nil oil use. I dont really want to sell it but will have one more attempt at fitting it in then probably let it go. All Stainless and polished, cost over $100