Site News

Admin

Hi All

Some great news that I would like to share...

1. The Recreational Flying Video/Audio/Text Chat Room is almost back up and running...I say almost in that the payment has been made to the development company that produces the chat room for them to install it on this server. Once they have completed the installation, which is now in the queue, it is all tested and working properly, I will let you know so we can all start using the great features of the Recreational Flying Chat Room...ONLY for registered users of Recreational Flying

2. Money has been paid for the new advanced "Search" function on the site. This advanced feature allows you to perform greater and more precise searches throughout the vast range of data that has accumulated here on Recreational Flying over the last 8 years of being the most popular recreational aviation forum/resource web site. The new search function will even understand words of less then 4 characters helping to define your search criteria into greater precision in the results produced of your search...ONLY for registered users of Recreational Flying

3. I have been able to get permission to play a 10 part video documentary on the ages of aviation which includes over 200 different aircraft and footage of real aerial combat. So I will be bringing back the Recreational Flying Television Station (that previously never got off the ground due to not having content or a resource to run it), but ONLY for First Class Members. This 10 part documentary will be screened on the Recreational Flying Television on a set day and time (yet to be decided) every week for First Class Members to view. Please, if you would like to volunteer to be the Recreational Flying Television Station Manager, please let me know...more on this in the coming weeks once all the details have been finalised and the costs for this great feature paid for.

4. The new updated Google Earth Airstrips is coming along nicely and the developer advises that completion of the new software is now only a few weeks away. This will add a greater enhancement in the fact that you will be able to add any notes, places to stay, contact me etc elements to any airfield that is listed or new ones that you add yourself...ONLY for registered users of Recreational Flying

...and there is more coming

• Like 3

This all sounds great (for us who love this site) Ian, but can't help wondering if you ever get to bed (to sleep, that is?) at night.

Corrine must also feel proud, of all that you achieve mate.

We certainly appreciate all your hard work.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 1

5 mins ago the final server details were sent to the chat software company so now we just have to wait for them to install the chat room again. Also the video/audio and whiteboard server is now up and running...we use a video streaming server based in Hawaii by Influxis. To see what video streaming apps we can have here on Recreational Flying click here

For those that didn't know our fantastic Recreational Flying Chat Room, you can see a demo of it here

Guest Howard Hughes
Please, if you would like to volunteer to be the Recreational Flying Television Station Manager, please let me know...more on this in the coming weeks once all the details have been finalised and the costs for this great feature paid for.

This sounds interesting, any more details on the duties? Or the approximate time commitment involved? I can probably spare a couple of hours most days and am often found near a computer!

HH, and anyone else interested, what we have here at Recreational Flying is a text medium for people to read, and contribute, in the Forums, Blogs, News etc. We also have pictures for users to view and upload in forum posts and the Recreational Flying Photo Gallery. Likewise with videos, in forum posts and the Recreational Flying Video Library. What we don't have is a medium that has all three rolled into one of the kind that television for example provides. Television can use these three mediums in two ways...as entertainment and also as an enjoyable medium of information and learning.

I can provide the technology needed for this but don't have the time or focus that would be required to really capitalise on all the benefits that it can provide everyone here at Recreational Flying. What it would need would be a "Manager" and perhaps a team of individuals helping out that overall Manager to keep bringing it all together for everyone.

What we could have, and thus would need an "Organiser/Manager" to bring about would perhaps be a weekly visual aviation chat show, much like the way that a Podcast is with audio. Perhaps some roving reporters that attend flyins and air shows and conduct interviews with aircraft manufacturers about their aircraft, owners of specific interest aircraft, new product demonstration videos, interactive presentations...really the limit of what we can have on there would only be held back by the available resources that the Station Manager could recruit to help him/her.

There is also opportunity for it to be an income making resource with advertising or paid product demonstrations etc...income that could be distributed between the site and the resources looking after the Recreational Flying Television Station. The software has the built-in feature of being able to provide many different channels so you could even have one channel set up as a pay-to-view with purchased documentaries. You could have a mechanical "How To" channel where you have live interactive forums like those that are organised at Air Shows (e.g. changing the oil on a Jabiru Engine presented by abc).

Naturally everything has to start somewhere so the initial beginnings would be very basic and built up from there. Start with one thing...then get a couple of "entertaining" individuals to start a weekly aviation chat show...a couple of months later the next thing and etc etc etc.

So, in answer to your question about how much time would be needed...how long is a piece of string and how much would you like to do, how much hands on, how much organising others to do something that would contribute to its success...it all comes down to you and how much interest that can be gleaned from others...does all that help?

• Like 1

Update...

The new Advanced Search Feature should be installed in a few hours time (the night of Thur 4th Oct).

The Recreational Flying Chat Room is installed however it is just waiting for the new licence file to be provided but the developers are having a national holiday week 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

The TV Station is installed however there is a lot of work still needed in making it presentable for all screen resolutions, so this will be a couple of weeks away.

No update on the new Recreational Flying Google Earth Air Fields Feature

Hi Ian,is there/can you put a refresh button at the bottom of page on mobile 1.0.6

The whole mobile style will be a focus of mine in a few weeks time

The Advanced Search Function is now installed and working like a dream...for example you can now do explicit searches like the phrase "divert to parkes" and out of the currently 200,000 posts, it will find one post with that explicit phrase (oops, now 2 because of this post). Before it wouldn't recognise the word "to" and the search function would return every post with the words "divert" and "parkes" in it even if the post contained the text "I enjoyed the parkes after I had to divert to Melbourne". I hope this will provide all registered site users with a far greater and more specific searching ability to find exactly what you are looking for quicker and easier.

NOTE...The search function using this great new Enhanced Search Feature is only available to logged in registered users of Recreational Flying

• Like 1

Hi All

The next enhancement, the Recreational Flying Video/Audio/Text Chat Room, is NOW open for you to use.

PLEASE NOTE: currently it has had some preliminary testing however please provide any feedback you can in its use...any problems, anything that doesn't look right, what should be there or not there etc etc etc...any feedback you can to its overall use and functionality would be greatly appreciated.

To access the Chat Room, simply click "Chat Room" that is displayed as a sub menu item of the main Forums menu tab. The Chat Room will then load in a separate window. If you do not have Adobe Flash installed on your PC, you should be prompted to install it.

When the Chat Room opens, the first page you see is a list of Chat Rooms. Currently I have only created one called "The Club Rooms" for initial testing and general chat. As everything sorts itself out and is working ok, I will add more Chat Rooms of different topics for you to select from. So to enter the Club Rooms, simply click on it and the Chat Room opens for you to start chatting. In the right column you will see the users that are currently in there along with different parts for you to explore and familiarise yourself with what the Recreational Flying Chat Rooms offer.

If you have a web cam, at the top there is an icon of a web cam that you can click to initiate your web cam. This will place a little icon of a web cam and microphone next to your user name in the right column. Other users can click on those icons to initiate the viewing of your web cam and to hear what you are saying. There are video games you can play, swap files, conduct private conversations, share YouTube videos, send animated emoticons to other users, send sounds and much much more...the Recreational Flying Chat Rooms are loaded with features for you to use with each other creating a great friendly and live community environment.

When browsing the forums or other pages on the site, the right column shows what other users are on the site. Included in that list now is a list of users that are currently in the Chat Rooms.

There is still some minor tweaking to do like get the interactive White Board operating and acting on whatever tweaks you think are needed to be done but I am assuming that it will all be settled in and working as you want during the next couple of days of its use...so enjoy, and please remember to give any feedback you can to make it better.

2.jpg.c7e862d807cb5d7d8b3e34ea2c650721.jpg

1.jpg.f6a94057c863646fcb995c181bcdcd8d.jpg

No, that is because Apple don't allow "Flash" applications to be used on the Ipad...but hey, it works on Android 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Hi Ian. Your comment about flash on an IPad is not fully correct. If anyone wishes to run flash on thier IPad, and use all the features of this forum the solution is simple. You need to go to the Apps store and download Puffin browser. Thier is a free version or a paid one and the choice is yours. This will allow you to use sites with Flash and other cool things. A little slower but has a mouse function that's also really neat as well....

People seem to treat IPads like pinyada and start beating them up without knowing what they are bashing. I love mine and have spent lots of time learning what they can do that suit my uses.

I hope this info is useful to others

Mardy

• Like 2