Which GPS ELT fo you use?

Thanks Ian, Does Kannard offer free factory battery replacement?

Not currently...there are 2 models...the cheaper one, you send the unit to Sydney and they replace it and send it back...the dearer one, you buy the battery and you can replace it yourself.

The question is..."Is anything free?"...sure you send the unit to Sydney and pay $x, and who knows what that will be in the years to come when the battery needs replacing, but you can say that you pay $x for the battery and the fitting is free or pay $a for the battery + $b for the fitting and it all adds up to $x anyway.

I personally like the Kannads because of the trusted name in the Industry and they float vertically which means they transmit without holding them up yourself if by some chance the one time you need it and you end up in a lake, pond, sea, river etc

My only preference for GME is because in UHF they are so superior in quality, reliability and clarity to the Unidens that I have gradually retired in favour of them. The deafer I get the more superior they appear to become. Always prefer an Australian Maid. 7 year life, non-hazmat batteries also got my attention.

I use a SPOT Epirb messenger. mainly for its tracking ability and for that track to be monitored by friends and relatives in real time as i fly. if something were to happen, Epirb function is there, even if i cant activate the epirb part for whatever reason, there is a breadcrumb trail leading right to my location..

• Like 1

http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&ts=1348272000&te=1348358400&call=a%2FVK4KZK-9

This is from a couple of months ago to show what mine does...its a free service but you need a ham radio licence. I have a radio transmitter in the aircraft and it transmits every 1 minute with position height and speed

And a PLB on board of course

Mark

I use a SPOT Epirb messenger. mainly for its tracking ability and for that track to be monitored by friends and relatives in real time as i fly. if something were to happen, Epirb function is there, even if i cant activate the epirb part for whatever reason, there is a breadcrumb trail leading right to my location..

Rob I was reading about people using Spot to send I'm Ok messages and no message was recorded twice on one trip somewhere up in north queensland, is the reliabilty an issue with spot or has it been addressed with spot2?

I dont believe Spot is an "EPIRB/PLB", your reliant on a subscription service in the US to get help.

Others talk directly to AMSA.

Spot are a great piece of kit by the way.

I think GME replace batteries for free if youve activated the beacon for real.

the SPOT is a subscription, but that gets you the tracking, as well as message services to pre determined people.. its operated by Globalstar SAR company that operates the satélite phone network, when they get the EPIRB alert, they forward all data to AMSA and continue monitoring themselves. im happy with it, but i also use it when on the motorbike, hiking etc, they also cover the SAR costs if the government wont pick up the tab.

heres the SPOT data from my ride last week to Phillip Island for the Moto GP..

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/view_adventure?tripid=316860

Havnt used it to track a flight yet..

from me research, the Australian Epirb COMSAR system is pretty much identical to the Globalstar and Iridium networks, the only difference being the country of origin controlling the network, both work in an almost identical fashion. COMSAR is run by commonwealth countries, such as UK, AUS and Canada, the GlobalStar iridium the USA and Russia.

seams to me, the only real difference is the legal system telling us which can be used and what cannot, even though both systems do the same job. of course, law dictates you need a epirb dedicated to the COMSAR system and nothing else.

as said before, i have the SPOT, as sadly the Aussie system doesnt allow the functions available through the SPOT messenger and the Globalstar network... and before you all get your knickers in a knot, i do use a dedicated Epirb for longer journeys, seams such a waste of the COMSAR network to be used for EPIRB functions and nothing more.

Currently have the non-GPS GME ELT - the GME MT400.

Good size, has a lanyard and comes with a bracket you can fix to the aircraft. Floats in water and transmits for up over 48 hours once activated. Has the new 406MHz as well as 201.5MHz for localized homing. Weighs 550g by itself, or 650g with bracket.

Easy to grab and throw in the cross country kit bag. Was very affordable compared to some beacons. Never had to use it in an emergency so can't comment on that but seems very easy to use.

Cheers - boingk

True, but I'd rather a legit beacon than a bushwalker style pocket model that may not broadcast as far or for as long.

Another point is that your craft probably won't fly any different with an extra half kilo. God knows most of us have at least a few to lose from ourselves, anyway!

- boingk (eating banana + muffin for healthy lunch)

Currently have the non-GPS GME ELT - the GME MT400.Good size, has a lanyard and comes with a bracket you can fix to the aircraft. Floats in water and transmits for up over 48 hours once activated. Has the new 406MHz as well as 201.5MHz for localized homing. Weighs 550g by itself, or 650g with bracket.

Cheers - boingk

I think ALL PLBs have to be able to float in water but does this one float on its side or does it float vertically? I know the Kannads float vertically to transmit properly and with the lanyard around your neck it simply floats around you transmitting properly instead of having to hold it vertical to get the best output in water

Floats vertically so strobe is above water and antenna vertical. Part of the reason I bought it - simple no BS design that was affordable and had good battery life.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Just realised my above post should say "121.5MHz for localized homing".