Tasmania

craigos

True, but then again its a matter of what you feel comfortable with and whats safe. I know people who think Dash Eight's are scary!

I'd wager my Minicab, somone's 912-powered trike or even a 95.10 with decent range and cruise would all be up for the task.

If you're thinking of doing it with minimal fuel reserve and in a craft thats 'marginal' at best then no, I wouldn't think its a good idea either. Save it for the paddocks :)

- boingk

Cheers turbo. And yes, degree for sure.

Mind you, if you're going to do something then surely its worth doing right? I mean, if you're relying on it in the air then you don't want it bodged... right?? No flexible pitot tubes, PVC fuel line or clip ties in my future, I can tell you that much.

- boingk

• Like 1

There was an article a couple of Sport Pilots ago, i think a group of 3 who did it in Drifters?

that said, he's asking about local flying scene. There's a nice strip on the west side near Freycinet, think its called Friendly Beaches. its got a bit of a slope, and there are power lines on the approach, necessitating a pretty steep approach. I took a scenic flight with this outfit, and it sure was some beautiful flying around there. Honestly, I am just trying to work out a way to move to Tassie... only a matter of time :)

http://www.freycinetair.com.au/field.html

There was an article a couple of Sport Pilots ago, i think a group of 3 who did it in Drifters?that said, he's asking about local flying scene. There's a nice strip on the west side near Freycinet, think its called Friendly Beaches. its got a bit of a slope, and there are power lines on the approach, necessitating a pretty steep approach. I took a scenic flight with this outfit, and it sure was some beautiful flying around there. Honestly, I am just trying to work out a way to move to Tassie... only a matter of time :)

http://www.freycinetair.com.au/field.html

Me too... Just a matter of time...

Till then I'll fly around Southern Sydney areas... Beautiful

Mark

There's quite a lot of water there. I would recommend that single engined aircraft maximise their chances by using the islands. Even doing that they are not ideal landing places. If you take calculated risks and you know the consequences then it is your choice.. You take floatation gear but many aircraft will not ditch well and if you get injured at that point you are not in a good situation. .Nev

• Like 1

Well there was the Bristol Freighter - straight to the bottom without a trace (and that had two engines, then there was the poor bugger in a life jacket and thermal suit. An RPT circled him for several hours while people worked out the range and lift of a helicopter and found he was beyond reach. No boats/ships close enough and he was never seen again, and those are the ones I remember. Thrilling as it is to fly over water, you can't land on it, andyou can't rely on anyone getting to you. Jetstar and local hire is cheaper and more reliable.

• Like 1

Well there was the Bristol Freight - straight to the bottom without a trace (and that had two engines, then there was the poor bugger in a life jacket and thermal suit. An RPT circled him for several hours while people worked out the range and lift of a helicopter and found he was beyond reach. No boats/ships close enough and he was never seen again, and those are the ones I remember. Thrilling as it is to fly over water, you can't land on it, and tou can't rely on anyone getting to you. Jetstar and local hire is cheaper and more reliable.

My thoughts exactly TP!

I reckon I'll plan to fly down there later next year, do a 'lap of the little island by camper', then look up cficare for a spot of memorable flying.

Sounds good to me.

Pud

A group organised through the Illawarra Flyers did the trip just a few months ago. At least one ultralight did the crossing - Australias only Storm Rally and I think they said a Jabiru J230 did the trip also. Plenty of good planning went in and there were plenty of lifejackets around. A couple who used to be from Goulburn and fly up most BBQ days went along (Storm Rally owenrs) and absolutely loved it from all accounts!

"If fishing vessels around the north are required to carry lifeBOATS, that should put a risk assessment into perspective."

" then there was the poor bugger in a life jacket and thermal suit. An RPT circled him for several hours while people worked out the range and lift of a helicopter and found he was beyond reach. No boats/ships close enough and he was never seen again"

Just in case you missed these two pertinent points Volksy. Sure, if your engine doesn't stop you make it.

BTW life jackets are all that's necessary in fishing boats around most of the mainland coast