something to cheer you up after a bad week

Guest Maj Millard

Most british machines of the day only had a single pilot position, as did many of the German machines . The American machines such as the B-17, Liberator , B-25 generally had two foward positions and often dual controls.

My uncle who survived 55 night mission over Europe in Lancasters, was a trained pilot but mostly flew as lead navigator for large groups of bombers, (up to 200+ at times) on the way to targeted cities. They were short of good navigators throughout the war. He told me one night they got hit with flak which destroyed half the Lancasters' elevator. He spent most of the trip back to England assisting the pilot with control and throttles. They made it back, and used one of the specially prepared 'emergency' fields to get down safely.

He said they had several special 'emergency' fields along the coast with different types of surface, to suit different types of emergency. IE: soft sand, undulating sand, gravel, high grass etc. You could select the best field for your problem, such as hung-up bombs, only one wheel down, no wheels, or control problems leading to a fast or rough landing.

He spent several years in England after the war training new navigators with the RAF, before returning to Australia with an English bride. He is still with us, and lives in Brisbane...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

]He is still with us and lives in Brisbane...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I learned a few new things there. The aren't many of them left, so drop what you are doing, Major, and get his story. All the details, especially the stuff that Hollywood leaves out.

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Problem is OK, they just don't talk about it much. Took me almost a lifetime to get that much out of him. Too many bad memories of lots of lost crews I suppose. He mentioned they were always had a big feed before an ops, which they referred to as the 'last breakfast'. For many it was he said.

He also met Guy Gibson once of the Dambuster squadron, who was on a nearby base. He said he was a loner, and a bit weird ?!!..During the 50th celebrations of D-day, my uncle recieved a presentation plaque from the French government. It was given to all airmen who were airborne that day in support of the invasion....My uncle grew up in Clermont Central Queensland before the war, and returned there after to run the very successfull local area newspaper named the 'Peak Downs Gazzette'. I don't recall him ever doing any flying after the war. Unfortunatly in those days all the type setting was done with lead, and he is now inflicted with motor-neuron disease which the lead contact may have contributed to.................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.

I can understand that Maj, my grandfather would just give a short general description, he wouldn't talk about the action. I've found out a lot more about him from the Australian War Museum where all records for WW1 are now on line, and they are starting WW2. You can pay around $20 and they'll work on your relative and put his records online in about 8 weeks.

You can download about 30 pages from the record, and some of it where the solider died can be confronting, other parts showing how caring the Australian Army was.

You can then get Battalion diaries which show the daily location of each company, so if a soldier was wounded on a particular day you'll have a location down to a few hundred metres, and if you go to the trench map, you'll get it down to metres, and for WW1 if you go on the French version of google, which is sharp camera image, in some cases you'll see the trench where he was wounded.

My grandfather was wounded in the leg in a night raid over the lines, and the battalian diary shows that once they were picked for the raid they were pulled out of the trenches and sent to the rear for a few days, then on the night, brought in and given a hot meal about 10 pm, moved forward safely through trench lines until they formed up at the front between lines of rope laid out on the ground at the weakest point. They were in and out with just three or four casualties. Very impressive planning and care for the troops which often doesn't come out in the books.

They were in and out with just three or four casualties. Very impressive planning and care for the troops which often doesn't come out in the books.

Blokes like Monash must have saved enormous numbers of lives and shortened the war, by reacting to the stupid carnage and applying common sense and business management to the problem.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Bit beyond alcohol now OK..unfortunatly.

I did ask him once how the RR Merlins were in the Lancasters ?...he said they all loved the Merlins, as they always got you home !..even with only a couple running.............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Bit beyond alcohol now OK..unfortunatly.I did ask him once how the RR Merlins were in the Lancasters ?...he said they all loved the Merlins, as they always got you home !..even with only a couple running.............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A British history teacher colleague of mine was surprised that any Australians were involved in the European war, having assumed all our service people were engaged in the Pacific theatre. I put him right. Australia's losses in WWII were half those in the Great War, even though twice as many enlisted. However, survival rates in the air war over Europe were similar to those in the trenches of WWI.

The stories these people must have. It astounds me that so many went back to ordinary lives after the war and never flew again, or ever talked about it. Perhaps they had experienced their fill of adventure, and had learned to savour the simple, safe and comfortable things in life.

OK said: astounds me that so many went back to ordinary lives after the war and never flew again, or ever talked about it. Perhaps they had experienced their fill of adventure, and had learned to savour the simple, safe and comfortable things in life.

I would do anything else as long as I knew I would be alive in the next ten minutes.