something to cheer you up after a bad week

That really is a special bit of Video. The rattling graunching sounds are due to the engine running in and out of synch. I am surprised that the speed doesn't appear to be very obvious. I don't think there are very many of those things flying, as they are made out of plywood. Some were built in australia. There was a metal version that operated from carriers. I think it was called a Hornet. Thanks Tornado Nev.

Guest Maj Millard

That was supurb FT, finally got to fly in one of my alltime favorite aircraft!!...What great footage, and what a marvelous cockpit !!....had never imagined the Mosquito had a stick!..had never really thought about it really, but it just makes the machine that much more interesting to me now. Doesn't she hoot, it must be great flying with those huge Merlines right outside the window !!!..Thank you, thank you !!!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

I have a very slow internet connection, but that was worth waiting for. I only hope I can watch it again later at real speed. I used to watch the lightnings roar over our farm during the war. They seemed so fast and used to clear the top of our barn by about 50'. What a thrill.

• Like 1

when I was on my way to the lincoln airshow the ww2 reenactment display flew overhead, 2 mustangs and a lightning. Definitely an experience. They had the lightning doing victory rolls after they chased off the zero

• Like 1

Thanks for a great experience, FT. I was a bit concerned about all the traffic passing so close under the nose of such a priceless aircraft. I would not taxi anywhere near a pair of Merlins spinning huge metal blades. Those Kiwis sure get serious about warbirds.

• Like 1

Like many, i've been monitoring the progress of it's build and seen many video clips, but nothing as good as this one.

Thanks for posting it FT.

I'd have given my right (you know what) to have been on that flight, and i'm sure I would'nt be the only one feeling that way.

Kind Regards

Planey

It's not often that I experience a real pang of jealousy, but that did it for me. I've never noticed just how related the Mosquito and Vampire are - the lineage was plainly obvious in that last still picture.

Thanks for sharing FT.

I heard yesterday that they are building them from scratch in NZ in various configurations. This makes sense as restoring one to flying condition would be almost impossible. During the war some furniture manufacturers got involved in making components for them. They did quite well out of it financially. My woodwork teacher at Tighe's Hill Tech did it. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

I just feel that the Mosquito was a great design and the Ultimate DH product. The fact that they broke new ground during wartime with the wood laminate construction which worked, is very impressive too.

I recently read a book where somebody was discussing it's speed capabilities, and it was simply stated that the Mossie was so fast that it could do two night recce mission to Berlin, and the crew could still make the pub for a beer before it closed !!!!!! Just love the cockpit with the jet-style stick....well ahead of it's time for sure.........................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I just feel that the Mosquito was a great design and the Ultimate DH product. The fact that they broke new ground during wartime with the wood laminate construction which worked, is very impressive too.I recently read a book where somebody was discussing it's speed capabilities, and it was simply stated that the Mossie was so fast that it could do two night recce mission to Berlin, and the crew could still make the pub for a beer before it closed !!!!!! Just love the cockpit with the jet-style stick....well ahead of it's time for sure.........................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

As the owner of a wooden aircraft, I fully support your sentiments, Major. It looks like the co-pilot seat is set back about half a metre to allow a narrower cockpit, a design feature used elsewhere in slippery airframes.

I'd like to know more about the functioning of the radiators in the wings.

I don't believe the Mossie at Pt Cook is intended to be a flyer. I think the flying ones in NZ are NEW. I was at an SAAA Chapter 20 Xmas do last Sunday and this matter was discussed and the mould is in NZ. I Spent a bit of time talking to Col Griffin who flew them during the war, ( when they were new). Col isn't new any more, ( 91) but he's the real McCoy. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

OK, I currently have a magazine here with the definitive story on the Mosquito. I recall it did talk about the radiator placement, I'll re-read it and get back to you..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif