Flying in Summer (Perth)

Nutnudger

Hi there all

I will soon be heading out to Perth with my Australian wife and two kids, I currently hold a UK licence rated for flying Flexwing. I am expecting to work my work to having my licence converted to and AU one,

My question is about summer fly, I know from my experience when flying in France that when it’s a hot day your best to fly first thing in the morning and then as late as you can in the day as thermals will create a load of turbulent air, is this the case in Perth?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Mark

Perth is reputedly the windiest city in australia. Better to fly early in the day or get above the inversion layer which rises higher during the day. Thermally days are bumpy usually. We get some great big Cumulonimbus clouds that you stay away from. Nev

Hi there all I will soon be heading out to Perth with my Australian wife and two kids, I currently hold a UK licence rated for flying Flexwing. I am expecting to work my work to having my licence converted to and AU one,

My question is about summer fly, I know from my experience when flying in France that when it’s a hot day your best to fly first thing in the morning and then as late as you can in the day as thermals will create a load of turbulent air, is this the case in Perth?

Mark

Short answer... Yes!!

I want to go flying in the central wheatbelt on Saturday but it could be a tad uncomfortable.

Current forecast is for 36*C maximum with 14knt winds in the morning moderating to 7.5knt in afternoon. Given that the temperatures all week have been above 30*C I reckon there will be some serious 'bumps' around the place. I have some maintenance to do on the Thruster in the morning so my only chance for a fly will be late afternoon, and even then could be a no-go situation. We'll see....

So to answer your question Nutnudger, it is definitely the case of picking your days to fly in summer around Perth - or at least in the inland areas.

Pud

Yea, being a woose I tend to avoid flying when it's hot, hot with gusty winds is even worse. I once landed my Jabiru J170 (high wing plane) on a day when it was over 30 degrees C and windy and the wing tip almost scraped the runway. It was quite hard to control and I was glad to be on the ground. The other thing that scares the jibblets out of me is those 'pot holes' in the sky. You're flying along, some turbulence then BANG!. You drop into a hole and everything flys up all over the place. I can't help thinking that a wing bolt is going to break. Having said that, enjoy your flying, it's still the best thing you can do with your pants on.....

• Like 1

Are there any members that fly Flexwing in the Roleystone area (south of the river) that I could meet up with once in in country as it would be nice to have someone I can go and talk to as I start to figure out just what flying in Perth is going to be i.e were I can base myself and what I am going to fly currently looking at a Revo or a P&M GT450

Flying in Perth, Superlight Aircraft Club at Bindoon has just about everything.(only fly on weekends due to Millitary Airspace).

You Have microlights and 3 axis at Whitegum Farm at York

You have the Ultralight Flyers club at Callingri ( Drifters. Rag And Tube) again in Millitary airspace.

Western Microlight Club in Bunbury.

There the main ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Perth is notable for the significant effect of the low range to its' East side, (known as the Darling Escarpment). In summer, the already strong easterlies and south-easterlies begin very early AM, and the added katabatic effect creates 30-40 kt winds down the slopes and significantly affects Pearce, Perth Int, Serpentine and Jandakot until around 10-11am. Anywhere under 3000 ft when crossing the escarpment and you'll have a rough ride! Not a good time to be operating anything small and light. So - beware when the forecast calls easterlies. Remember that Jandakot becomes gridlocked when these winds blow because 12/30 is a single runway and you can be delayed either on or off ground. Serpentine is a problem in gusty SE winds because 05 is a long way out of wind, and 09 is often u/s - and still has a tricky crosswind anyway.

The other wind event which locals euphimistically call a 'sea-breeze' - is the famous Fremantle Doctor. This shifts inland from around mid-day and can reach 25kts later in the afternoon. It is a low level wind, and is generally gusty with some blowing dust and quite turbulent for the 1st hour or two. Beware the changeover period - notable for windsocks showing opposite direction winds at Serpentine and Jandakot. Both airports are fairly into wind for the seabreeze - 23 and 24 are usually OK.

Inland in WA - winds are steadier than on the coast, and usually lighter. Summer storms will create some severe gust fronts, but you should have the bird tucked up in a hangar long before you sight the Cb's.

happy days,

• Like 1

Thanks for the Info poteroo, i this week applied to RA-Aus for my membership it was interesting I emailed the form off and within 12 hours they had taken the cash out of my account, I have been looking at were I can complete my conversion to the Australian licence (York or Bunbury) but with all that said without being able to buy an aircraft and have it transferred into my name it looks like I shouldn’t be in any rush, I’m currently looking at importing a P&M GT450 or may be push the boat out and go for a Revo but that one will depend on what the minister for finance (Wife) says about the price

First of all, let me welcome you to the forum Mark. Seems to have been missed previously. I hail from the Festival State, South Australia, W.A. neighbour.

Although we're next door, our weather is vastly different to that of W.A., must more flyable. Perhaps you should reconsider where you're going to settle. Why did you choose Perth/W.A. anyway?

I see you're an Essex lad, so am I. Although born in Harrow Weald, Middlesex, at aged 7 we moved to Thundersley, about 6 miles west of Southend. Later we moved to Basildon New Town. A concrete jungle if ever there was one. So where are you from? and why are you leaving?

Hi there Deskpilot

My wife is from Perth and the company I work for (GE) have offered me a job in Perth so that's why we are on our way there in just under two weeks our air freight went yesterday,

I would have liked to stay in the UK a bit longer and done more flying here I was dreaming of flying off to France next year but there we go

Mark

Perth is a windy city for sure. I lived there for about 4.5yrs wouldn't want to go back. Being so isolated makes it very parochial, which is why no one wants to go west for the mining boom

The East Coast is the sunburnt paradise you are dreaming of.

Onya FT. Would that all Eastern States'ers and Kiwis shared your opinion. Most real Sand Gropers reckon the authorities should never have fixed the road across the Nullarbor Plain which might have kept most of the nancy Eastern States oddities (like it's widely known that Victorians hate even their immediate family; Taswegians have only one eyebrow; Queenslanders drag their knuckles when they walk & New South Welshmen - well, what can I say??) on the other side of the rabbit proof fence. West Ozzies cherish their geographical distinction from the remaining small part of this nation and obviously the winds make us better (bruised?) pilots. Any aspersions cast at paradise could spark a decision to secede from the rest of you common lot whereby you'll have to dig holes in your own backyard to get rich and famous. Be careful, be very, very careful and tread lightly , nay - REPENT! for Prince Leonard of Hutt River Principality has shown us the way! (all said in jest - I have nothing better to do as my aircraft is grounded until further notice by some Eastern States blighters) na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

cheers Riley

We considered living in WA when we migrated from Guernsey in 1970 as it appeared to have everything going for it, and what we were looking for, the only drawback being its distance from the other states.We have visited WA a couple of times since and love the place our most recent trip across the nullarbor being to visit a particular speciality shop which we do not have in SA, well worth the drive.082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

Alan.

We considered living in WA when we migrated from Guernsey in 1970 as it appeared to have everything going for it, and what we were looking for, the only drawback being its distance from the other states.We have visited WA a couple of times since and love the place our most recent trip across the nullarbor being to visit a particular speciality shop which we do not have in SA, well worth the drive.082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gifAlan.

What specialty shop would that be Alan?

We are all special over here:augie:029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Pud

Early morning and evening are the only times it's pleasant, as opposed to "challenging" flying in summer in the Perth area. However...last winter and most winters in fact the flying weather was simply magnificent. Autumn also magnificent. Did I mention spring ? So get your

bathers, togs, cozzie on for summer and do your flying out of summer or get up early. With those constraints there are far more good flying days here than in the Eastern states.

• Like 1

Hi there all I will soon be heading out to Perth with my Australian wife and two kids, I currently hold a UK licence rated for flying Flexwing. I am expecting to work my work to having my licence converted to and AU one,

Mark

G'day Mark, I fly at Bindoon most if not every week-end and around this time of the year until mid-march its very uncomfortable with heat turbulance after 10am. After late March until October the weather is magnificent!!Let me know when you arrive in Perth and ill flick you details of the Club.

Cheers!

John