Driver v's Pilot skills (split from Lismore accident)

If they turn up with a "sports exhaust" in a cloud of burning rubber taking up two parking spaces, do you send them solo early?

FL said:

Being a truck driver I also should not comment due to the sheer amount of stupidity I see on the road all day long. The vast majority of car drivers drive to a reasonable standard, but its the "few" that really stand out that are truly dangerous. Often I think their issue is the failure to think beyond themselves, wether that be road conditions, traffic or what we all know as human factors.

The issue of car drivers is well established but I have an issue with truck drivers who drive to the same standard. They are bigger and do more damage-a lot more. A small car tailgating me is an irritation but a big truck truck driven by a "professional" makes me wonder which corn flakes package he found his lic.

Things must be different in Perth. In Brisbane/Toowoomba, there are a few standout drivers of a decent standard and truckloads of useless ones. Also the ones with the burning rubber and the one who take up two spaces are two completely separate demographics (young fool and older Subaru Forester/Statesman driver respectively).
  • Like 1

Things must be different in Perth. In Brisbane/Toowoomba, there are a few standout drivers of a decent standard and truckloads of useless ones. Also the ones with the burning rubber and the one who take up two spaces are two completely separate demographics (young fool and older Subaru Forester/Statesman driver respectively).

That was my point about culture... the older folk are the parents of the young rubber burners.

I used to enjpoy driving, but it is so boring nowadays. The roads are a mess and instead of fixing them the government just puts a low speed limit on them. When I had a performance car I used to average as much as 80mph on a long journey. That is when it was legal. Now it takes all day to cover 500km. It is so boring that a lot of drivers just have a mental sleep and are not really in control of the car. At least flying it is possible to fly low and get some impression of speed, or just get up there and keep everything working correctly.

Guest Andys@coffs
Ever fly 70 kts at 10,000 feet. Feels like the day the earth stood still.

NO...never at 10,000.....9500 though I have poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

So if its so slow get a faster one like mine at 120kts........ the day the earth stood still!! ....but for less time 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Flying high gives no sensation of speed. I hour in a jet equals about 9 hours by car. Low flying is a great sensation but not a lot of room for error. I remember heading for Newcastle from West Maitland in a strong wind. Even went down to 500' looking for better performance, but gave up after 50 minutes or so, boring...... Ground speed was about 25 knots. Much better on the way back. Nev