New engine from ICP (manufacturer of the Savannah)

eightyknots

I came across an interesting internet article which shows that ICP is "doing a Jabiru" by going beyond making airframes. I hope that the venture goes well:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-11-21_ICP-announces-new-LSA-engine.asp

It makes an interesting read. The price is 12,000-13,000 Euros. 13,000 Euros = $AUD16,300 or $NZD20,600.

Perhaps this is the dream engine everyone has been waiting for? We'll find out more details early next year, I'm sure.

I came across an interesting internet article which shows that ICP is "doing a Jabiru" by going beyond making airframes. I hope that the venture goes well:http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-11-21_ICP-announces-new-LSA-engine.asp

It makes an interesting read. The price is 12,000-13,000 Euros. 13,000 Euros = $AUD16,300 or $NZD20,600.

Perhaps this is the dream engine everyone has been waiting for? We'll find out more details early next year, I'm sure.

Looks like my Guzzi engine with a gear redrive.
  • Haha 1

Read a review on that in one of the French magazines this month.

It's quite heavy at 80kg, and about the same price as the D-Motor which is 20k lighter.

The good news is that there seem to be more and more engine options becoming available, maybe that will put some pressure on prices....

PS. There's already a thread about that here

Read a review on that in one of the French magazines this month.It's quite heavy at 80kg, and about the same price as the D-Motor which is 20k lighter.

The good news is that there seem to be more and more engine options becoming available, maybe that will put some pressure on prices....

PS. There's already a thread about that here

I understand that the 115 hp version will produce this power at a screaming 6,900 rpm (or 2400 at the propeller) and weighs 67 kg.

Compare that with the carburettored 115hp Rotax (the Rotax 914) which achieves the same power at 5,800 rpm and weighs 64 kg.

Hello,

I'm the author of the translated article about the new ICP engine. Usually automated translators make some mistakes... :-) , so i have to point that the project of the engine looks similar to other Morini (motorcycle) very succesful ones because the designer is the same (Ing. Franco Lambertini and his team), but it's NOT a motorcycle engine modified for aviation use: it's a brand new project done expressly and solely for aviation (there will not be derivation for land use: too different project requirements make this a nonsense). As for the weight, 67 Kg is to be intended as "Installed" (914 is, in this configuration, 75,5 Kg). There are several patented news on it, regarding mainly reliability, easier maintenance and fuel consumption. Being a modular design, there is plenty of possibilities of different future versions (4 cyl?).

Ciao!

Max

• Like 3

Hi Max

Thanks a lot for letting us know we are all very interested in this new development. Seeing that you are right at the forefront there would you please pass on any links or video that comes up with this engine it would be much appreciated and there are a lot of people here wanting info .

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hello,I'm the author of the translated article about the new ICP engine. Usually automated translators make some mistakes... :-) , so i have to point that the project of the engine looks similar to other Morini (motorcycle) very succesful ones because the designer is the same (Ing. Franco Lambertini and his team), but it's NOT a motorcycle engine modified for aviation use: it's a brand new project done expressly and solely for aviation (there will not be derivation for land use: too different project requirements make this a nonsense). As for the weight, 67 Kg is to be intended as "Installed" (914 is, in this configuration, 75,5 Kg). There are several patented news on it, regarding mainly reliability, easier maintenance and fuel consumption. Being a modular design, there is plenty of possibilities of different future versions (4 cyl?).

Ciao!

Max

Hi MaxThanks a lot for letting us know we are all very interested in this new development. Seeing that you are right at the forefront there would you please pass on any links or video that comes up with this engine it would be much appreciated and there are a lot of people here wanting info .

Mark

Yes, I agree with Mark. There is a lot of interest in new engine options at the moment. The new ICP engine sounds like a very interesting alternative. I would also be happy if you could pass links on to us (on this thread).

Thanks for the extra information, Max. I was especially interested in your weight comparison with the Rotax 914!

Hi,

No problem! Yes, the article was published on an online Italian magazine, and then of course was in Italian . Looking at how the automated translation was looking, I was just clarifying wat was looking to me not so well translated by the system.

And, still to be just clear: I have no personal interest in promoting ICP products: I'm just a customer of them (my bread come from working on computers). I just live few kilometers far from the ICP plant, no more, no less.

When I'll have news, I'll let you know.

Ciao!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

At the Friedricshafen fair (Aero 2013, Germany), both the new engine as well as the Savannah J (a new* taildragger version of the Savannah) were officially presented.

Here you can see both of them:

BTW, engine tests are proceeding correctly. Only the weather looks not to be very good this spring here in Italy 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

* = taildragger versions were already done in the past, but this one will be probably certified.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Just to keep you updated about engine: tests are proceeding with success. The team is working on refinig consumption, engine mapping and so on. Right now it has not yet beem airborne due to the simple reason thet the test equipment is too big and bulky to be carried on board (and jut having it flying does not add anythimg to the test thay can perfrm on ground). The idea is anyway to have it flying before the end of current year.

Now something interesting: a Powerpoint presentation with a lot of inner information about the engine. It's here: http://fly-buylsa.com/uploads/MotoreDellaNebbia.ppt , you shoud find it quite interesting.

Ciao!

Hello,Just to keep you updated about engine: tests are proceeding with success. The team is working on refinig consumption, engine mapping and so on. Right now it has not yet beem airborne due to the simple reason thet the test equipment is too big and bulky to be carried on board (and jut having it flying does not add anythimg to the test thay can perfrm on ground). The idea is anyway to have it flying before the end of current year.

Now something interesting: a Powerpoint presentation with a lot of inner information about the engine. It's here: http://fly-buylsa.com/uploads/MotoreDellaNebbia.ppt , you shoud find it quite interesting.

Ciao!

Thanks for the Power Point presentation: very informative! I hope the engine works out well.

I wonder, will new ICP engine run on 'regular' unleaded mo gas, high octane mo gas, or av gas?

Also, what kind of pricing can we expect for this engine? (hopefully a lot better than the "OXTRA")