New engine from ICP (manufacturer of the Savannah)

eightyknots

Thanks for the Power Point presentation: very informative! I hope the engine works out well.I wonder, will new ICP engine run on 'regular' unleaded mo gas, high octane mo gas, or av gas?

Also, what kind of pricing can we expect for this engine? (hopefully a lot better than the "OXTRA")

Well, about the price, only ICP can answer directly (IMHO it will be good, on the contrary all the operation would have no sense, but this is just my idea. At the beginnig of this thread there are some consideration about this).

About the fuel, ICP confirmed me that all the one you mentioned will be usable, also the ones with alcohol (but unleaded in that case, If I understood correctly)

Ciao!

• 8 months later...

Interesting cam drive arrangement, the arrangement allows you to use the same cylinder head on both sides of a V engine - interesting as in Hartley in England own the patents for it and has already refused a number of people to use it ....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7168405.pdf

• Informative 1

What's the extra gear on the exhaust cam for? The decompressor?

At a guess I would say camshaft sensor pickup point for ignition timing, note a couple of teeth missing.

Interesting cam drive arrangement, the arrangement allows you to use the same cylinder head on both sides of a V engine - interesting as in Hartley in England own the patents for it and has already refused a number of people to use it ....http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7168405.pdf

From a quick look, seems as though the patent application was only ever filed (and granted) in the US. So, if this was the only application Hartley filed in relation to this cam drive arrangement, others might be able to use it anywhere except the United States. By the way, a great site for looking up patent information for free is www.lens.org/lens/

Briefly, TRIPS is an international agreement under which countries agree to treat intellectual property produced by nationals of other countries in a particular way, for example by providing a patent, trade mark system etc with minimum terms of protection, systems of enforcement among other things.

Generally speaking (but with some exceptions), patent applications still need to be filed in each individual jurisdiction to be enforceable in that jurisdiction. In other words, if you only file a US patent, you can only enforce it in the United States. Same goes for China, Australia and so on (although Europe is seeking to implement a "unitary" patent that will cover all 25 EU member states).

Just to confuse matters slightly, there are PCT International patent applications as well as various other regional applications (e.g., current European applications, Eurasian regional applications and a few others) where you can file a single application which reserves the right to file patent applications in member countries at a later date (helps defer costs). So, while these applications can cover many countries (148 under the PCT), you still need to eventually file separate applications in the countries where you wish to enforce your patent.

Hope that is helpful.

• Like 1

You're welcome Bex.

4400lbs...hadn't thought about it that way before. Either way, it's lucky that I sneak in at a few lbs less than that.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Has anyone heard any more about the ICP motor?

I will answer my own question. It seems that Valter of ICP - USA is soon to take delivery of one of the new ICP engines which have been under development for the last four years since this thread started.

In planning for my Savannah build next year, I am still scratching my head about an engine. I ordered a "homebuilthelp" DVD with the Rotax alternatives so I will view them with interest. I am sure the ICP would not be in the DVD as they have not officially gone into production.

I wonder six things about this engine:

1. how light is the motor? ....their original goal was to get this down to 67 kg.

2. how thirsty is this donk? ...worse or better than a 912?

3. how powerful is it? ....originally, their goal was to produce 115 hp at 6,900 rpm.

4. how reliable is this engine going to be? ....this, unfortunately, will have to wait until there are quite a few flying quite a few hours.

5. how much will this power plant be? ...landed cost of course.

6. what mounting system will this ICP engine employ? .... will it fit with a standard Rotax mount, a Jabiru mount, or an ICP you-beaut special mount specifically for this engine?

80knts, "6. what mounting system will this ICP engine employ? ..

Why only those two motors & not the two main ones from the USA?.

If RR or Ford made their motor's to fit everyone's car, we wouldn't have to chop & change the motor mounts on each custom build we like.

spacesailor