Low and slow

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many out there get to really fly. a few hundred feet at the most and slow as possible , there is no better than this!

You do mean "a few hundred feet at the most, but not less than five hundred feet" don't you?

Guest Howard Hughes

I fly at about 3 feet, just before I touch down, is that low enough for you?

Personally I prefer it up high where the air is smooth and should the unthinkable happen (or the inevitable depending on your choice of motor), I will have plenty of time to think about it!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: If ever I get my beloved gyro, then I may just give low a go!016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Up high you may as well be in a bus,need to see the leaves on the trees,look the roo's in the eyes.this is how it was,and still is for some.my little 503 has never let me down.

Over private property, knowing were all the potential hazards are, during the early morning or 'velvet hour' just before sunset is great flying. Unfortunatly one of lifes greatest pleasures that some including the boofheads running the RAAus and CASA just can't get their heads around because they have spent all their lives either driving a sterile cockpit at fl350 or trying to make us grass roots types play pretend GA. Give me the original ANO 95-10 issue 1 or FAR103 anyday. My greatest fear flying above 500ft at 40 mph or less is being run up the ass by something doing 100kts plus.

Up high you may as well be in a bus,need to see the leaves on the trees,look the roo's in the eyes.this is how it was,and still is for some.my little 503 has never let me down.

That engine doesnt have carby heat. One day you'll be able to pick the leaves from the trees.

Ozzie gets it,this is flying,facthunter has identified the risk,Howard misses the point on rec flying ,bet he would like to sit at 3feet for a while then go around.pretend ga is the biggest prob with raa .

503, I'll go along with your last statement if I have it right. The highly instrumented cockpits I reckon are a trap. Most of the full panel ones I have got behind ( in RAA) are faulty in some way.( some adjustment is wrong and therefore distracting). If you have a pusher,( or a glider) a piece of wool will give you a lot of information. slip, AoA etc. The rotten compasses we generally get are too unstable for doing a circuit so you have to look behind you to see where you are tracking anyhow. Keep your eyes out of the cockpit. That's where most of the hazards come from.. Can't recall a better view than that available from the front seat of a Drifter..Nev

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Ozzie gets it,this is flying,facthunter has identified the risk,Howard misses the point on rec flying ,bet he would like to sit at 3feet for a while then go around.pretend ga is the biggest prob with raa .

And you Sir, have missed the pisstake. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I would tend to agree with Nev, the best view I have ever seen in aviation was from the front seat of a Drifter!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Talking of no attitude references.... no sunnies either!

This is the bloke who designed the Dragonfly for Bill Moyes, that tows hanggliders up. It's his 'Connie' amphibian that seems to have disappeared into obscurity but would be great low and slow around the coast.

Here's the 'Lil Breezy -

• Like 1

Talking of no attitude references.... no sunnies either!This is the bloke who designed the Dragonfly for Bill Moyes, that tows hanggliders up. It's his 'Connie' amphibian that seems to have disappeared into obscurity but would be great low and slow around the coast.

Here's the 'Lil Breezy -

love those pics. How flying used to be,the the thongs make great flying boots

503 as long as you have a low level endorsement from RAA and are flying over your own property or the property of someone who has given you permission to do so below 500' you are quite legal today.

It was not that long ago under the original ANO95-10 when were not allowed above 300 feet ... and it was fantastic fun back in those days. Go figure that one out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Is such an endorsement available David?Pud

Yes there is Pud, hard to find an instructor to do it though. I'd imagine you would have some good instructors in WA. There is no GA endorsement as such, just low level training, but you have to have cause to be below 500'; crop dusting, power line inspections, property inspections, mustering etc.

Not be taken lightly, there is real skill required and training is essential.

Yes there is Pud, hard to find an instructor to do it though. I'd imagine you would have some good instructors in WA. There is no GA endorsement as such, just low level training, but you have to have cause to be below 500'; crop dusting, power line inspections, property inspections, mustering etc.Not be taken lightly, there is real skill required and training is essential.

The property I fly from is a wheat and sheep farm in the NE wheatbelt, as such the property is large enough (1000s of acres) and I can envisage legitimate reasons for low level flight. I am not going there because I don't have the skill required, but the proper training and endorsement puts it in another light.

Might have to make some enquiries.......

Pud