Jabiru Wing Failure?

Head in the clouds

Jabiru wing failures? Well I haven't heard of any and having been going through my old photo archives I thought these might be of interest to anyone who's ever had that tingling doubt about whether the wings are going to stay on... are they really strong enough and all that...

In around 1987 I was one of the witnesses to the sandbag load-testing of the Jabiru wings, it was at Caloundra just north of Brisbane IIRC, and I was astounded at the amount of weight the little craft took in its stride.

The test was attended by quite a lot of people, not least were two or three representatives from the Dept of Aviation (DoA), or maybe they were Dept of Civil Aviation (DCA) or was it Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) by that stage? They certainly hadn't become CASA yet...

I don't recall the numbers perfectly but I think it was about a tonne of sandbags per wing. I seem to remember that the test would have gone a bit higher but the support structure in the fuse started to crush. I'm not sure what the final G approval was, someone might be able to tell us?

There was quite a lot of deflection of the wings at the full load as might be expected and it returned to shape when it was all over.

As the bags were applied the wing was supported by a couple of jacks and some blocks at the tips to prevent any shock loading and every so often the jacks and blocks were lowered to accommodate the deflection. Eventually the blocks and jacks were lowered away completely, as you can see being verified and photographed in one of the pics.

A little bit of history.

jabtest2.jpg.e53dbc02c2485fec0320ad33fb958ba2.jpg

jabtest3.jpg.73ce6e92e0e18d0e51b2d0fbcf87fd56.jpg

jabtest1.jpg.5f3fc8c4350d107a6a434c0707c1eab9.jpg

• Like 1

I have never heard of a wing failure in a Jab. What load did they take it to?. I did some calcs on the Fisher at about 6g and the compressive load was about 3 tonnes in the carry through section in the roof. Aircraft structures are quite remarkable. What truck would take six times its GVM as a test. ? Nev

Why didn't you call this tread "Load testing a Jab wing". Very misleading and mischievous !!

I would have to agree Bill. The thread starter sits there and returns for all time, as long as the thread is active. Nev

It's my thread... The title made you look, mischievous though it was!095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Now - back on topic....

• Like 1