Importing a Kit Plane from the U.S

DGL Fox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those port costs was with me picking up the planes from the AQIS inspection point, which was a trucking yard off Ipswich Road. I asked the guys who did all the port and customs work for me that I needed easy access from Toowoomba and that was the best place they could find. It was a good spot too as it was about 500m to Ipswich Rd which feeds directly to Toowoomba, much better than near the port as I would have had to drive through the CBD with my planes on a trailer 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif. I also had to pay for 2 guys to do an hour of unpacking and cleaning so another $160. Was a hectic 2 days running up and down from Brisbane to Toowoomba 4 times.

My advice is make sure you bring in something expensive ($50-60K) enough to make the effort worthwhile.

• Agree 1

You are NOT allowed to pick it up from the wharf yourself

Yes that's right Kyle, my brother is a truckie that goes to the wharfs all the time..

OOps there I go again! I picked up myself, Two trailorboats from Sydney wharf ,( mabey because on trailers) some years ago.

spacesailor

WHO know Who Stateside ?

Skyview Aviation in Tracy, CA will pack & ship. Similar cost to go there and do it yourself of course. Container is about $4000 to here from the west coast but local handling & government charges are cruel as mentioned. S/H goods will have AQIS sniffing about for cash which generally doesn't happen with new.

Mark,

I think you would want to buy a Searey a lot cheaper than $69k Mark if you are going to get them from the states, it will owe you a lot of money by the time you land it here.

We have 2 for sale here in our magazines in the classifieds section and I think one is selling for $67k and the other around $77k approx, so why would you go overseas if you can buy one here for a similar price.

If you buy here you can get it checked out before you buy and you can test fly it etc, so I am thinking the most I would pay is 45 to 50 k (from the US) and it would have to be late model LSA with the "C" hull, 914 Rotex and all the extra things that you get on them.

With Searey's now being factory built I have noticed more of the home built ones being advertised in the US, I think they will become cheaper as more yanks buy factory built ones.

I am going to hold off for a while and see how it goes over there, I think if we wait a while we will get some very good buys soon. or if you really want one buy one, buy one of the one's here for sale. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

David

• Like 1