DGL Fox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Andys@coffs

What a crock! To me the scale can be in anything you like as long as the the important Vxx speeds are identified on the scale, ie you know where its now going slow enough to toss out the flaps, or where any slower and you'll get a couple of quick full 360 panoramic views before you slam into the deck! or go any faster and the turbulence may well seperate the body from the wing. Whether thans in Knots, mph, kmph or sparrow farts maters little to me

Anyone see it differently?

That said flight planing in sparrow farts can be a challenge as ASA doesnt seem to produce a WAC or VNC VTC with that scale on it....but fear not! trusty prayer wheel can deal with that and given that most seen to come out of teh USA they all have an mph scale!!! !

The compass thing is real though, there are compasses produced for each hemisphere and its best to have the right one for the right hemi......Less of an issue now that CRT's have gone the way of the dinosaur but they used to be produced in hemisphere models as well, a CRT goes all wonkly if its operated in the wrong hemisphere......Like someone with a really strong magnet walked past and now the picture is no longer inproper alignment...

Guest Andys@coffs

Yeah I know.... owning and maintaining a plane is no small financial undertaking and Im stuffed if I can see why you have to replace perfectly serviceable equipment on the basis that a scale is used that doesnt fit.......I mean we dont operate in controlled space we arent told to ever maintain a set speed (other than those in the POH) and if its important enough put up a quick conversion chart.......

BTW I posted while you were posting yours my comments were general ones rather than to you in particular Jake

Andy

First time I jumped in a strange Pitts I wasn't expecting the airspeed to be anything other than kts and I didn't realise for too long. Strange behaviour, almost scary.

Now I know there is the odd airplane around with mph and I can deal with it. I hire mine so it just has kts.

Yak 52's have their ASI in KPH. I have only been in one once at Archerfield.VH registered.Im pretty sure it was still in KPH & not changed out & replaced with a ASI in knots.It was a long time ago, so I may have remembered it wrong but.

Yeah I know.... owning and maintaining a plane is no small financial undertaking and Im stuffed if I can see why you have to replace perfectly serviceable equipment on the basis that a scale is used that doesnt fit.......I mean we dont operate in controlled space we arent told to ever maintain a set speed (other than those in the POH) and if its important enough put up a quick conversion chart.......BTW I posted while you were posting yours my comments were general ones rather than to you in particular Jake

Andy

I knew that, all's good 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

a bit of thread creep I know, but what would be involved with flying it over? I have read about people doing this, and granted it would take alot of stops and a bloody long time, but I am having trouble even visualising what path one might even take? Anyone ever looked into that?

Guest Howard Hughes
14,000 km flying mostly over water. 073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

Go the other way!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

PS: With a small single engine aircraft it is always cheaper to break it down and ship it! A ferry will cost you around $35k.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had a go at buying from the States,. Made three enquireis from shipping co,.s and only got one reply, and that was three weeks later.

It was a brand new "eagle" with a 3 pot Hirth motor, the FAA inspector dropped the rear end off a work bench when doing the weight check' (minimal damage)

the owner claimed on his insurance and the plane went to auction.

spacesailor

There are some Aussie companies here that I think may be able to do a good job of loading and transporting your plane safely from the USA, I have seen them in a couple of the aircraft magazines.

David

Would it be any easier getting one over here from NZ? I have to say that I would be by interested, however last time I got an initial shipping quote for a motorcycle I nearly fell over, let alone and aero plane! As was mentioned, the de-winging and loading would be the biggest hiccup I would think.

Thanks- had me wondering there...

That could be the go, but just wish I could fit, say, 2 x bantams in to make it worth while. Keep one, sell one.

Not sure what the container is worth but the next frustration- no country seems to have as many duties/taxes as we do when it arrives at the dock...

in other words you get your own container FCL or share a container LCL

Yes for sure, I would want my own, it would be well worth spending the extra money, I wouldn't want my pride and joy getting smashed around by someone's dirty old car or bike parts..

David

• Agree 1

I import CNC machines from China...we get screwed over big time by the port charges they are just scandalous. Most of my stuff is LCL...If I was doing a aircraft I would go FCL I think you will find it is cheaper. get a importer to do a comparison. The kicker with LCL is the unloading fee they charger around 105 bucks plus GST PER QUBIC MTR so a aircraft would be a lot of cubic metres...I think a FCL is around 800 bucks unloading fee and maybe some less charges. The importer I use is pretty good

How far from the nearest port is the plane?

This is the damage on my delivery, keep in mind this is just what you spend to get your container off the wharf and through AQIS

Customs Assessment (Duty/GST/EEC) Exempt Rated 2,991.18

GST Amount 2903.18

AQIS Processing Charge 14.00

Declaration Processing Charge 50.00

AQIS Container Charges 24.00

Wharfage Charge 836.50

Cartage 395.00

Customs Clearance / Agency Fees 150.00

Customs Compliance Fee 35.00

AQIS Fees Zero Rated 200.00

AQIS Service Payment Amount 139.00

AQIS Service Payment Amount 139.00

Fuel Surcharge 39.50

Wharf Booking Fee 20.00

International calls 30.00

Total spend $4,847.78

Seb,

FT posted this estimate in an earlier post, this might help...

David