Has anyone tried Lithium batteries in their aircraft.

SAJ

I was looking at putting a Lithium Ion battery in my Thruster, I have a Odyssey PC625 battery in my thruster at the moment and it does'nt quit fit properly in the battery cradle.

I can get a Lithium battery that will fit perfectly in my battery cradle, and it weight is 1kg and has 290 cold cranking amps. My Odyssey battery weight is 6kg's and 200cca.

I would like to know if anyone has used a Lithium battery in there aircraft.

SAJ

Guest Andys@coffs

People be careful the 2 types sound the same but definantly are not

Li Ion (used in laptops and other electronic things that have been known to do the flames and smoke thing)

Li Iron (used in Cars, boats etc where there is a significant weight saving in the battery)

I suggest that if you are considering this only consider the Iron solution and even then like mosty things in life its isnt a straight swop all good, there are Pro's and Con's and you'd best consider all of them. Google is your friend........research!

Andy

I've fitted a lithium iron (LiFePO4) to my current project, to start the 912uls but haven't run it yet so I can't comment on its performance. Mine's 18Ah (equiv) Shorai and 270CCA, weighs 1kg as you said (you'd think the battery case was empty). You just need a standard lead-acid 14.4V charger but the automatic kind is essential to prevent overcharging. You don't need cell balancing chargers like they use for LiPos but you can have them balanced by the supplier from time to time if you want to extend their life.

I was put on to them by a friend who races motorcycles and he has a 1200cc 4T bike with high compressions etc and it cranks it way better than the previous gel cell, and he finds that the main advantage is that they don't lose power by sitting between races, which is similar to planes which don't fly daily.

• Like 1

People be careful the 2 types sound the same but definantly are notLi Ion (used in laptops and other electronic things that have been known to do the flames and smoke thing)

Li Iron (used in Cars, boats etc where there is a significant weight saving in the battery)

I suggest that if you are considering this only consider the Iron solution and even then like mosty things in life its isnt a straight swop all good, there are Pro's and Con's and you'd best consider all of them. Google is your friend........research!

Andy

what he said!

i personally wouldnt be putting a lithium ion battery in a plane, but lithium iron is quite good from all reports except for the damage to the hip pocket nerve.

Nev I share your thoughts on electrical stuff.

All electrics are easy, you just have to keep the smoke in the wires and everything is good. If it escapes you're stuffed!!!

LIFeSO4 are known as A123 batteries they started out in Dewalt battery tools they were the first to bring them out. We have been using them in our model jets for about 4 years. We went away from the lithium Polymer ones when they burnt down a lot of model sheds and a lot of aircraft. The only issue is they still need balancing and with these over time so not sure how you can do that when they only have 2 terminals.

LIFeSO4 are known as A123 batteries they started out in Dewalt battery tools they were the first to bring them out. We have been using them in our model jets for about 4 years. We went away from the lithium Polymer ones when they burnt down a lot of model sheds and a lot of aircraft. The only issue is they still need balancing and with these over time so not sure how you can do that when they only have 2 terminals.

Mine does have a separate socket for the balancing charger, in the top centre of the battery case. The distributor said they don't need balancing as a general rule unless the battery performance is down.

Well this is what Lipoly batteries can do if you charge in the model and something goes wrong. It almost took out the whole shed as you can see the 20litre fuel drum and it is next to a 44 gal avtur drum that was full. There is a pic attached of what the finished aircraft looked like. sitting on top of the model was a $3000 radio transmitter as well total cost around $18,000...insurance actually paid out would you believe

Ne54662.jpg.d11815472f198ee07742b02a219d4d17.jpg

Xd81108.jpg.14e0b3babf8815cc991462d355896734.jpg

Bv59226.jpg.eeb3a6d4b7e5f0696bd6dca482d4888b.jpg

Mr40467.jpg.8c4d9db05e277b9b484f88ad2dbe8983.jpg

Mh20616.jpg.fe00c903414e9b083adc4f2441081344.jpg

Om31838.jpg.fe0a85ed30dc55a8f6461940f1bfa33b.jpg

Du20543.jpg.176ecb1528c01f5df713c4c222b8f6b9.jpg

Al70652.jpg.a67c63a7e97d101cec2825af051ce08c.jpg

Mg98596.jpg.d01f935bb022c5a8c3650d04e854b257.jpg

Ot49399.jpg.2d70e8d184915fe08a0aa7fdc4dea177.jpg

Rm37301.jpg.6bacf0285b799e7aefa53a5dbb92e6b0.jpg

Yw69209.jpg.98cb29e8f1908ea2bca95df98ec1f341.jpg

I was looking at putting a Lithium Ion battery in my Thruster, I have a Odyssey PC625 battery in my thruster at the moment and it does'nt quit fit properly in the battery cradle. I can get a Lithium battery that will fit perfectly in my battery cradle, and it weight is 1kg and has 290 cold cranking amps. My Odyssey battery weight is 6kg's and 200cca.

I would like to know if anyone has used a Lithium battery in there aircraft.

SAJ

Hi spotty dog here

I have just bought a lithium battery for my 912 and one for my bike a suzuki gsxf 750, all the other betteries were just too heavy , I had odyssey betteries before and swear by them but when it came to the plane an odyessy was 4.5 kg and the li motorcell was 1 kg, when I saw it I thought it was a plastic on counter advertising unit but NO it was real . I tried the the battery in the bike first , always needed choke , this little battery the size of two packets of fags ( no I'm not a smoker ) but turns the engine over so fast I never use choke now. I am in the process of building so the wiring is at the final stage of completion and I fitted a prop just to wind the engine over and prime the lubrication system, ,it turns the engine over just as good as the odyssey if not better with 340 caa, will recharge in ( 6 minutes from flat to 90% and will do this 2000 time / cycles and has a two year warranty for $100 less than a odyssey which gave me zero warranty on my last one what threw the towel in at less than 200 hours less than one year. They are guaranteed against fire, what more can I say , I'm happy . Ian

Can you post the battery model number please SAJ?.

Pud

G'day Pud.

I was looking at 3 Lithium battries that would fit in my battery cradle. LT12B-4, L:150/W:65/H:92/290cca, YT12B4, L:150/W:65/H:92/290cca, YTX12ABS, L:150/W:87/H:105/280cca. Prices range from $140 to $280. If you go into ebay and type in Lithium battery you will find them there.

SAJ

you mean lipo or life batteries? they have a different charging requirement to a lead acid battery

G"day fly_tornado, I dont know what you mean by lipo or life battery, the ones Iam looking at they say takes 6 minutes to charge from flat to full.

SAJ

G'day Pud.I was looking at 3 Lithium battries that would fit in my battery cradle. LT12B-4, L:150/W:65/H:92/290cca, YT12B4, L:150/W:65/H:92/290cca, YTX12ABS, L:150/W:87/H:105/280cca. Prices range from $140 to $280. If you go into ebay and type in Lithium battery you will find them there.

SAJ

Thanks SAJ, I'll check'em out

Pud

Guest Andys@coffs
lipo and life are common batteries for electric RC planes

LiPo = Lithium Polymer (Fire risk)

LiFe = Lithium Iron (Li and Fe being on the periodic table for Lithium and Iron respectively)

Andy

SAJ and Pudestcon - TAKE NOTE - the batteries that SAJ listed are the VERY DANGEROUS Lithium Ion Polymer (LiPo) type, they are highly flammable and catch fire! You don't want that in your aircraft, if they catch fire in a car or bike you can stop and walk away, in a plane you may be killed. High charge rates can ignite them, most of our plane engines produce high charge rates... Do Not put SSB (brand) or similar batteries in your plane if you value your life! These are the BAD guys, note their description, top line left side "Lithium In Polymer" (LiPos cannot be sent by airmail because they are dangerous goods) - http://www.superstart.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/108/mode/details/pid/434/Default.aspx

The safe ones are also called Lithium batteries but they are Lithium Iron Phosphate (Iron not Ion) which is LiFePO4. They are also exceptionally light and small and just a bit more expensive than LiPos but they cannot catch fire, the electrolyte is not flammable. Here is a link to the correct (safe) type, mine is 270cca, weighs less than 1kg and cost $250 delivered by airmail - http://www.shoraipower.com.au/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

SAJ and Pudestcon - TAKE NOTE - the batteries that SAJ listed are the VERY DANGEROUS Lithium Ion Polymer (LiPo) type, they are highly flammable and catch fire! You don't want that in your aircraft, if they catch fire in a car or bike you can stop and walk away, in a plane you may be killed. High charge rates can ignite them, most of our plane engines produce high charge rates... Do Not put SSB (brand) or similar batteries in your plane if you value your life! These are the BAD guys, note their description, top line left side "Lithium In Polymer" (LiPos cannot be sent by airmail because they are dangerous goods) - http://www.superstart.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/108/mode/details/pid/434/Default.aspxThe safe ones are also called Lithium batteries but they are Lithium Iron Phosphate (Iron not Ion) which is LiFePO4. They are also exceptionally light and small and just a bit more expensive than LiPos but they cannot catch fire, the electrolyte is not flammable. Here is a link to the correct (safe) type, mine is 270cca, weighs less than 1kg and cost $250 delivered by airmail - http://www.shoraipower.com.au/

Thanks HITC, your advice is appreciated.

Pud

both lipo and life need cell balancing to maintain the output, your standard lead acid battery does not. life batteries would be suited to a constant loss system where you where just using the battery for the starter and running everything else of a lead battery.

• Agree 1