What's the biggest plane you've flown

Guest Bigfella

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The usual description of the feel flying a Douglas DC-4 was to place your two feet in the bottom of a steel bucket and place your hands firmly on the handle and pull yourself off the ground. It had no powered controls and weighed over 70.000 Lbs. It's anti-icing capabilities were pathetic. It would be one of the highlights of my life if I could fly one again. Nev

Have HARS knocked on the door or called yet, Nev. I see they now have one.

Geez we have a lot of experience and talent on this site...transferring the knowledge gained from these experiences by way of helping and encouraging new comers to aviation is what this place is all about.

The biggest for me is a 172 but that isn't really flying...trim, trim and just simply trim...a lot easier then some of the recreational aircraft that many fly each day

Geez we have a lot of experience and talent on this site...transferring the knowledge gained from these experiences by way of helping and encouraging new comers to aviation is what this place is all about.The biggest for me is a 172 but that isn't really flying...trim, trim and just simply trim...a lot easier then some of the recreational aircraft that many fly each day

"Trim, Trim, Trim Ian ??

I always found with 172s that if you leave it a bit nose heavy, it gives you something to do and keeps you awake, otherwise it's rather like driving an automatic bus . . .

Phil

DC9 -30, about 20 mins in the Capt's seat (autopilot off), somewhere over the pacific between pago pago and Honolulu. It was an Ansett delivery flight, I was then a young Lame acting as flying spanner on the flight. It had 10 special, 200 gallon tanks strapped to the floor tracks to give us the range we needed, as well as full wing and centre tanks, bit of a flying bomb really.

Also landed a B747-400 (sim) from approach to Changi in Singapore, after we did some engine run training. It wasnt a pretty landing.

We usually get to fly the B737 and Embraer 190 sims after we do our annual ground run training as well.

I remember pulling full thrust reverese in the B727 sim once years ago and we were doing 80 kts backwards down the runway in Melb. Lots of fun !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pontius Pilot

747-400; lovely aircraft and surprisingly responsive given its size.

I must say, however, that I like the challenge of 'different'. Landing a helicopter in a very confined area, following an eagle around a thermal in a hanglider and wiping bovine poo off my face, having brought a Luton Minor back to its home of a REALLY small cow field are memories that will stay with me forever but that I hope to add to as time plods on. Nothing, though, will beat flying VERY low and VERY fast one minute and then, in the next, being in the hover and landing on a pitching, rolling deck of a grey ship in the middle of some dodgy Atlantic weather 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif .

Still haven't done a balloon ride......yet 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Think I would pass on the last part thanks. I don't like relying on luck and the bigger the element of luck required, (Going on the amount that has not been too forthcoming in the past) the more I would like to get my heart rate up by exertion rather than fear.

It's not the size of the plane the pilot flys but the worth of the plane's pilot, that is the issue, when it all goes pear shaped. Nev

Guest Pontius Pilot
It's not the size of the plane the pilot flys

It is when the thread's titled, "What's the biggest plane you've flown" 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Guest Pontius Pilot
I presume we can discuss the relevence of it?

I think it's meant to be just a bit of fun, Nev. We all know that big machine does not equal better pilot but the philosophical justification of the original poster's reasons for creating the thread are low on my 'must do' list, so I think I'd prefer to just roll with it and enjoy seeing what people have flown rather than discuss the skills (or otherwise) of the pilots.

yes PP but I feel some of the new pilots here may just feel a bit out of it. The majority are U/L people and THEY have reminded me of it when I have brought up some so called "irrelevent (Not my term) info. I'm personally interested in just about anything aeronautical and I will have a go at flying just about anything. ( as long as it's put together OK) I don't talk hours to solo. Flying hours or BIG planes particularly because most here won't have the opportunity, and I don't think it's real big deal here. ( I was a bit surprised at the post but that's fine.) My emphasis is on safe fun flying of good, responsive, affordable and buildable ( we don't do enough of that ) planes.. and good standards of instruction..Nev

747-400; lovely aircraft and surprisingly responsive given its size.I must say, however, that I like the challenge of 'different'. Landing a helicopter in a very confined area, following an eagle around a thermal in a hanglider and wiping bovine poo off my face, having brought a Luton Minor back to its home of a REALLY small cow field are memories that will stay with me forever but that I hope to add to as time plods on. Nothing, though, will beat flying VERY low and VERY fast one minute and then, in the next, being in the hover and landing on a pitching, rolling deck of a grey ship in the middle of some dodgy Atlantic weather 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif .

Still haven't done a balloon ride......yet 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

DON'T DO IT PONTIUS. . . . . . You might find it TOO exciting. And another thing. . .they're an absolut pig to turn onto headings. . . .

Phil

747-400; lovely aircraft and surprisingly responsive given its size.I must say, however, that I like the challenge of 'different'. Landing a helicopter in a very confined area, following an eagle around a thermal in a hanglider and wiping bovine poo off my face, having brought a Luton Minor back to its home of a REALLY small cow field are memories that will stay with me forever but that I hope to add to as time plods on. Nothing, though, will beat flying VERY low and VERY fast one minute and then, in the next, being in the hover and landing on a pitching, rolling deck of a grey ship in the middle of some dodgy Atlantic weather 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif .

Sounds like quite a ride so far, did you start in the military ?

Something I've always found interesting is that there seems to be two distinct groups ,one just flies because that's what they do for money, there's no weekend hot rod in the hangar and when they retire they just stop flying ,( I got given a bit of nav gear from a guy who stopped flying corporate jets the day he retired and hasn't been near one since) , the other group I guess could be called "aeroplane tragics" ,they just can't get enough!

Actually, someone here might be able to remind me of the actual type of the largest aircraft I have flown.

It looks like a Cessna Caravan but, I believe it's made in Oz, high-wing, 8-seater single engine propellor machine.

The flight however was definitely memorable.

It was from Papeete, Tahiti to the island of Tetiaroa, which used to belong to Marlon Brando :D

Actually, someone here might be able to remind me of the actual type of the largest aircraft I have flown.It looks like a Cessna Caravan but, I believe it's made in Oz, high-wing, 8-seater single engine propellor machine.

The flight however was definitely memorable.

It was from Papeete, Tahiti to the island of Tetiaroa, which used to belong to Marlon Brando :D

GA8 made by Gippy Aero.

• Like 1