Part 145 Proposal- to remove schedual 5 maintenance

dazza 38

Howdy Folks, I have been reading the latest Australian Flying mag. Interesting article IRT new maintenance regulation proposals. One of them is GA aircraft being maintained IAW the aircrafts manufactures shedules & not the current Schedual Five maintenance.

In a nut shell, it means that instead of a aircraft having a hundred hourly OR a Annual which ever occurs first .The a/c will be maintained purely on hours. Since alot of GA singles etc only do 25- 30 hours a year.The aircraft may not see a LAME for a couple of years, since a yearly annual will not be needed. Thoughs?

I like it!! Altho. I think that rather then scrap it it should be lengthened to say 3 years? I don't like the idea of an ac being unused for a long time and still being airworthy.

dont wish for to much cessna have just released the SIDs program for the 100 & 200 series aircraft if this becomes mandatory (as it is for those aircraft registered with Raaus)

cost of compliance will make a lot of these aircraft worthless .100 series has 208 pages of inspections and compliance

Mick W

dont wish for to much cessna have just released the SIDs program for the 100 & 200 series aircraft if this becomes mandatory (as it is for those aircraft registered with Raaus)cost of compliance will make a lot of these aircraft worthless .100 series has 208 pages of inspections and compliance

Mick W

I received this from CASA a few days back.

I refer to your recent correspondence in which you request the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s (CASA’s) position in relation to Cessna Supplementary Inspection Document (SID) requirements. Firstly, the concept of continuing airworthiness covers all of the processes that ensure that, at any time in their operating life, all aircraft comply with the airworthiness requirements in force and are in a condition for safe operation.

The requirement for the incorporation, or otherwise, of the Cessna SIDs in Class B aircraft is determined by the maintenance schedule elected by the Certificate of Registration holder, not by the category of operation. It is well recognised, however, that many operators in aerial work and in private category, have elected to use the CASA maintenance schedule (schedule 5). In this regard I confirm that there is nothing in Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 42B that specifically mandates compliance with, or incorporation of, a Cessna SID in this maintenance schedule.

While there is nothing in Schedule 5 to the CAR which expressly calls up the manufacturer’s inspection or other requirements, however, paragraph 2.7 of Schedule 5 notes that, where a thing is required to be inspected under the Schedule, the inspection is to be a thorough check to determine whether the thing will continue to be airworthy until the next inspection.

CAR 42V requires persons undertaking maintenance (including inspection) to do so in accordance with applicable maintenance data. CAR 2A(2)© defines such data to include instructions issued by manufacturers of aircraft, components and materials.

In CASA’s view, SIDs are manufacturer’s instructions which, for the purposes of maintaining the continuing airworthiness of an aircraft, must be considered by the Certificate of Registration holder and if applicable to their aircraft, complied with regardless of the schedule under which the aircraft is maintained.

Mike HigginsManager Continuing AirworthinessAirworthiness & Engineering Branch

Standards DivisionCivil Aviation Safety Authority

There will be more on this and as ruffasguts says...Alot of old Cesnas will be scrapped.

Have I understood this?.

I refer to your recent correspondence in which you request the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s (CASA’s) position in relation to Cessna Supplementary Inspection Document (SID) requirements. Firstly, the concept of continuing airworthiness covers all of the processes that ensure that, at any time in their operating life, all aircraft comply with the airworthiness requirements in force and are in a condition for safe operation.

All things relevant to safety shall be considered.

The requirement for the incorporation, or otherwise, of the Cessna SIDs in Class B aircraft is determined by the maintenance schedule elected by the Certificate of Registration holder, not by the category of operation. It is well recognised, however, that many operators in aerial work and in private category, have elected to use the CASA maintenance schedule (schedule 5). In this regard I confirm that there is nothing in Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 42B that specifically mandates compliance with, or incorporation of, a Cessna SID in this maintenance schedule.

... but there is nothing in Schedule 5 that requires the SID to be considered as mandatory

While there is nothing in Schedule 5 to the CAR which expressly calls up the manufacturer’s inspection or other requirements, however, paragraph 2.7 of Schedule 5 notes that, where a thing is required to be inspected under the Schedule, the inspection is to be a thorough check to determine whether the thing will continue to be airworthy until the next inspection.

...however, as all checks shall be thorough

CAR 42V requires persons undertaking maintenance (including inspection) to do so in accordance with applicable maintenance data. CAR 2A(2)© defines such data to include instructions issued by manufacturers of aircraft, components and materials.

... the SID has to be considered

In CASA’s view, SIDs are manufacturer’s instructions which, for the purposes of maintaining the continuing airworthiness of an aircraft, must be considered by the Certificate of Registration holder and if applicable to their aircraft, complied with regardless of the schedule under which the aircraft is maintained.

...as mandatory.rgmwa

Guest Maj Millard

Well there have been cheap Cessnas around for a while now....much cheaper than many upper-end ULs in fact. I have been involved in the complete rebuild of a cessna 207 wing after corrosion was noted, on some sensitive spar bits. As the wing was de-skinned it became apparent just how extensive the corrosion was throught the wing, especially between the skins at lap-joints, and in areas that are not normally seen, even by experienced inspectors. The Cessnas are built very well, and certainly don't have a history of coming apart in the air. It will be interesting just what the 100 series SIDs inspections uncover.....many owners simply won't want to spend the money on the inspection or subsiquent repairs, and that'll be the end, unless the aircraft can be sent elsewhere where things will be more affordable....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I guess there may be more homebuilt aircraft as a result of the changes and ... although Schedule 5 as we know it will disappear however, as I understand it, the content of Sched 5 can still be as your system of maintenance or you can make up your own.

Jake J

Have I understood this?.All things relevant to safety shall be considered.

... but there is nothing in Schedule 5 that requires the SID to be considered as mandatory

...however, as all checks shall be thorough

... the SID has to be considered

...as mandatory.

rgmwa

rgmwa: Yep that looks like CASA's answer to everythin "We're going to have 2 bob each way and if anything goes wrong, it's your fault not ours."

rgmwa: Yep that looks like CASA's answer to everythin "We're going to have 2 bob each way and if anything goes wrong, it's your fault not ours."

maybe I'm a heretic -- but is there something wrong with being responsible for our actions ? 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Jake J

There is a video on youtube showing the SIDS inspection, the video is from a Cessna Rep. It didnt look that involved but after reading rufasguts's post ie-208 pages. I agree with the gents above.There will be alot of 100 & 200 series cessna's parked up or flogged off the a buyer that is unaware of the SIDS.Although it would be highly unlikely that a potential wasn't up to speed IRT cessna's SIDS programme.

PS- Buy a Piper:oh yeah:

Piper Commanche. They are well corrosion proofed. Some of the early Cherokee were not so good. Cessnas for seaplane 180 (some of) were pretty good too. Don't think anyone expected them to be still flying as long as they have. Some desert climates are good for them. Coastal (salt) BAD....... Nev