Liquid cooled heads

VFR Pilot

Jeff, can a run a poll by you?If you could buy air cooled heads that ran cooler yet gave more power is that a viable option for you and how popular do you think a product like that would be?

What would you expect the cost to be?

Hey bexrbetter the idea of LCH for jabs is good just the guy who made them is the problem.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a new group of engineers is doing is not so much how to get better cooling but looking to reduce heat from the sources especially friction. This would allow more power and reduced rich running that does cool but at a cost not just of fuel but also of engine wear.

• More 1

Hi hyundi, welcome to the forum. I'm very interested in the LC heads, could you tell us what the problems were that you've had with these heads...?

cheers

JimG

Hey bexrbetter the idea of LCH for jabs is good just the guy who made them is the problem.

If I was free to elaborate my short story would include "10 foot pole" and "run away" in there somewhere.

Hi hyundi, welcome to the forum. I'm very interested in the LC heads, could you tell us what the problems were that you've had with these heads...?cheers

JimG

Thanks from the start had oil leaks the top water flanges hard to stop leaking. After about 230 hrsOverhauled the engine, was getting hard to start found 2 of the LCH had loose valve guids one guide was moving in the head. They had over borde the holes for the guide but they still fitted the guides bad workman ship. I have run the engine goes good but can't stop oil leaks I believe the heads are porous. They are not replying to my emails I refused to send heads to them for repairs after what they done to these heads had them repaired local with my supervision. Cheers sad to have to tell you the problems as they work very well.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

You just told us the jabs leak oil. Are you now saying they don't? How much oil on the windscreen is too much? Answer ANY. .Nev

I have a 2200 jabiru one thing I must say it never leaked oil until I fitted LCHeads.

A bit porus? Isn't that like a bit pregnant? Either they leak or they don't. If they leak then they are porus and no good at all................. I f they don't leak then they are not porus and thus fine..................The set I saw at the factory were beautiful 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

geoff

I can tell you for sure I bought them leaked oil right from the start have removed them aircooled back on looking for a big rubbish to throw them in. They are a great idea for cooling maybe he should sell the idea to Camit he would make them properly.

One last thing I will add the heads are soft the lower head stud as it is tenchioned it squashes the hole when it is unscrewed you have to unscrew it all the way as the hole is smaller. Some of the other studs are like that to when I take the heads off I had to re drill the holes but it done the same next time I removed the heads.

• Informative 1

What tention are you torquing to ,??? i do mine to 16 ft / lbs and have no trouble & they dont need nipping up at each sevice ,

I had one of the first batch of ten . The factory eased out the valve guides after one was tight ish at start up ,

The oil leaks at the pushrod tubes were fixed by using a slightly larger O ring .

Head temps 90/100 c

Coolent temp , today was 93 c cool morning

35c day/ 115 c,i wouldnt recommend flying at higher temps ( any rec plane )

They do require fitting by competent folk .

Cheers

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Guest alcol

hello hyundai

I agree also they removed the bottom head stud bracket that spreads the tension on the head. they had to because the intake pipe fouled the head stud. I have heard a lot of bad reports abouts LCHeads

What tention are you torquing to ,??? i do mine to 16 ft / lbs and have no trouble & they dont need nipping up at each sevice , I had one of the first batch of ten . The factory eased out the valve guides after one was tight ish at start up , The oil leaks at the pushrod tubes were fixed by using a slightly larger O ring . Head temps 90/100 c Coolent temp , today was 93 c cool morning 35c day/ 115 c,i wouldnt recommend flying at higher temps ( any rec plane ) They do require fitting by competent folk . Cheers Mike

Whats so funny ??

What tention are you torquing to ,??? i do mine to 16 ft / lbs and have no trouble & they dont need nipping up at each sevice ,I had one of the first batch of ten . The factory eased out the valve guides after one was tight ish at start up ,

The oil leaks at the pushrod tubes were fixed by using a slightly larger O ring .

Head temps 90/100 c

Coolent temp , today was 93 c cool morning

35c day/ 115 c,i wouldnt recommend flying at higher temps ( any rec plane )

They do require fitting by competent folk .

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike

How many hours have you done on the LCHeads, I think my head tension was 20 I think as recommended. I tryed over size orings and sealant the oil leak must have bean coming from some where else. My heads where from early batch nothing but problems. Have fitted air cooled heads back on I find it hard to beleive you have no problems if you have read my other thread 4 loose valve guides I would be checking yours if I where you.

Hello Mike How many hours have you done on the LCHeads, I think my head tension was 20 I think as recommended. I tryed over size orings and sealant the oil leak must have bean coming from some where else. My heads where from early batch nothing but problems. Have fitted air cooled heads back on I find it hard to beleive you have no problems if you have read my other thread 4 loose valve guides I would be checking yours if I where you.

. Mine are the cast iron type and were checked , heads off at 56 hrs , . Dont know where else the oils comming from if not the the rocker tubes ??? Mike
  • Informative 2

I have set of LCH heads on, and no oil or water leaks, in fact it's taken me 15 months to redo the mod to the plane, flaps, canopy, covering etc

and the thing I never had to pull apart or tamper with was the motor, and I have a water pressure gauge fitted into the system, and it kept a pressure right through the 15 months.

In winter it was down around 4lbs & in summer it would be around the 7lbs mark, the only water

I lost was from the overflow bottle when we turned the fuselage over to cover the bottom.

I will agree that they were a bugger to fit, to the point where I elongated the pipes "a Bit" where they pass between the pushrods and took a foofteenth of the sides of the pusrod cover pipes

so I got a space and a good seal with the O rings.

I used a radiator that was the close to the size of a Rotax 912, but its a duel core and with a 1 Litre header tank as well, I can't keep any heat in the water, ( My highest reading was 45 degrees C,) so it looks like I might have to cover up some of the frontal area.

I have a quad CHT (Left over from the air cooled days) and from under the plug they get to around 120 - 130 on climb then settle to 80 -95 on cruise.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I was surprised Rotec did not copy jab heads they have a coller on the guide so the guide can't move down, but that does not mean you can do shoddy work over drill the guide holes and still fit the guides in. I would never buy aftermarket parts of these small so called company,s I have seen Camit factory so professional trust them 100%.

I have set of LCH heads on, and no oil or water leaks, in fact it's taken me 15 months to redo the mod to the plane, flaps, canopy, covering etcand the thing I never had to pull apart or tamper with was the motor, and I have a water pressure gauge fitted into the system, and it kept a pressure right through the 15 months.

In winter it was down around 4lbs & in summer it would be around the 7lbs mark, the only water

I lost was from the overflow bottle when we turned the fuselage over to cover the bottom.

I will agree that they were a bugger to fit, to the point where I elongated the pipes "a Bit" where they pass between the pushrods and took a foofteenth of the sides of the pusrod cover pipes

so I got a space and a good seal with the O rings.

I used a radiator that was the close to the size of a Rotax 912, but its a duel core and with a 1 Litre header tank as well, I can't keep any heat in the water, ( My highest reading was 45 degrees C,) so it looks like I might have to cover up some of the frontal area.

I have a quad CHT (Left over from the air cooled days) and from under the plug they get to around 120 - 130 on climb then settle to 80 -95 on cruise.

Hi mike how many hours have you done with LCH on I can tell you for sure when you remove the heads those lower water pipes will be seized in and no they never leaked water. Yes no heating problems for me but I will never fit them again to much trouble.