Liquid cooled heads

VFR Pilot

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys:

This is not going anywhere! All I did was asking for advice on how to properly seal my rocker shafts :-(

Avocet; I can see from the picture of your installation that the bottom of your rocker boxes are perfectly dry without any oil spill- so what did you do?

Thanks

I have removed the LCHeads from my Jab done a 2.5 hour flight temps where around 190 - 205 F on cruise I am happy with that.

You are kidding right? 205F = 96 C. Mine don't go below 145C in cruise.......

No..how about you..what's that got to do with anything..David

Making comments about products without any facts is a pre-requisite on the internet and a God given right.

Making comments about products without any facts is a pre-requisite on the internet and a God given right.

Yes well you proved that right didn't you...so why do it... just a waste of time and doesn't add any value to the thread but some people here say a lot without knowing any facts.. I have seen that you don't like it when people say things about your efforts regarding your unfinished engine, so way say things about the new Jabiru engine when you know it's not the finished product... it just makes you look a bit silly and people will start to disrespect you in what you are trying to achieve...don't you think..

David

just a waste of time and doesn't add any value to the thread

Oh the irony ... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Speculation is natural, most normal people do it. No one snuck those pictures of the Jab 2210 onto the internet, Jab themsleves released them officially so I'll give opinions based on them. I believe my comment is relevant, again, Jab are currently one of the best looking aircraft engines in the World with their beautiful CNC machined finished, casting looks drab in comparison.

I have seen that you don't like it when people say things about your efforts regarding your unfinished engine,

I have no problem with it that all, evidenced in the Jabiru 2210 thread, post #2 above where I had a poke at myself yesterday.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/jabiru-2210-engine.133621/#post-487023

I only have issues with Oscar people suggesting I don't have a right to an opinion because my "vapourware" isn't out there yet.

Hope that helps.

Arent those Loooong through bolts going to allow twist/flex ......or some kind of movement?

Im excited theres some work being done on the induction side.

Doubt CAE have much to worry about regarding this, they have new stuff coming too. Problem is the small size of market for both these products

• Agree 2

Pity they aren't working together. I know that is long gone but the situation requires all resources to be acting together for a limited market. The already confused situation will be more so.

Long through studs have to cope with the different rate of expansion of Al alloy and the studs themselves. The studs are enclosed all the way which helps. It should be capable of being engineered. Location is OK if the joint faces are using hollow dowels or have accurately machined holes .

Separate cylinders and crankcases are never as rigid as a cylinder "block" can be made to be.

The Nikasil cylinders will allow closer piston fits, (less blow by) and the corrosion will be over come pretty well. Better wear characteristics (for the bores).

Some localised heat will transfer from head to cylinder as well...Nev

?Im excited theres some work being done on the induction side.

What work is that?

Doubt CAE have much to worry about regarding this, they have new stuff coming too. Problem is the small size of market for both these products

I think I would be concerned if I was Camit damn it, Jab has a new engine while they will be seen as modder's of an old one.

Vapourware? Bex, are you planning to build better Tupperware too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Look more closely at pics, carb mounted up high, different induction pipes there too

CAE have new stuff coming too, like whole new engine I believe

Yes they are modding old solid lifter type and getting it to work as it always should have. Camit have altered more than Jabiru have and I kind of trust CAE R&D further than Jabiru, based on performance.

They will sell plenty before this sees light of day assuming it has fault free testing.

Arent Jabiru just modifying their old one?? which is currently limited by CASA......... Not that much new there except cylinders.

Plenty of burnt Jabiru owners out there reluctant to swallow latest upgrades. Major changes havent always worked out too well. Some are going to be hurting from forced 500 hr overhaul too by then.

Reality is, Jabiru have some ground to make up before customers spend more cash with them.

CAE have new stuff coming too, like whole new engine I believe

Good luck to them.

I wasn't having a go at them, like the CNC Vs Casting comments I made, mere opinions from a marketing point of view.

Guys:This is not going anywhere! All I did was asking for advice on how to properly seal my rocker shafts :-(

Avocet; I can see from the picture of your installation that the bottom of your rocker boxes are perfectly dry without any oil spill- so what did you do?

Thanks

You are kidding right? 205F = 96 C. Mine don't go below 145C in cruise.......

No not kidding I have tested the gauges and they do read about 10 deg lower with a manual digital gauge. I believe I could not fly my jab with out 2 EGT gauges and a fuel ratio gauge. And you also need a way of altering your mixture.

With all the high tech talk on this forum put your heads together and make the perfect engine. Yep all talk I think.I have removed the LCHeads from my Jab done a 2.5 hour flight temps where around 190 - 205 F on cruise I am happy with that. I don't know why I put those darn LCHeads on in the first place. On take off I lift off push the nose forward get the airspeed and let it gain altitude, no pulling the stick back to impress the people on the ground. You can do that with a rotax 912 not a Jab.

Just home from a 15 hour jaunt.

Cht variation was the same as yours, only a single probe though.

Kept me happy enough.

PHIL

• Haha 1

snip}..... The steel cylinders in the Jabiru are a potential RUST situation that few take seriously, ........ Nev

Your comment about cylinders being prone to rust struck a resonant chord with me. My Jab engine has been rebuilt; test run then inhibited and closed up for storage until the airframe is ready for it. I have used the inhibiting oil recommended by CAMit and the general opinion is that once inhibited the engine should NOT be turned as the rings would remove the inhibiting oil from the cylinder walls.

I recalled an earlier thread about dehydrator plugs for engines not being used. Being a bit of a belts and braces bloke I decided to hunt down some of these plugs for my Jab. Couldn’t find them anywhere! They’re available for Lyconentals but not for engines that use a 12 mm spark plug. I discussed this problem with a colleague who has a small engineering shop and he offered (after a bit of gentle hinting and some blatant bribery) to make some up. The upshot is that he’s made me a set of 4 plus the couple of prototypes and I’ve fitted to my engine. I’ve also plugged the inlet and exhaust breather pipe. The desiccant in the plugs turned from bright blue to pink after a month or so of humid summer so I disassembled the plugs, heated the desiccant until the beads turned blue again and reinstalled the plugs. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result so far. A bore inspection prior to the re-commissioning of the engine will tell the full story but until then I’ll just keep the plugs installed and dry them out as required.

As a side bar to this, I had to buy in a reasonable quantity Acrylic tube, aluminium & silica gel for him, (couldn’t buy just the minimum needed for my job) and so he has enough stuff left over to make up several more sets if anyone is interested.

It occurs to me that with winter setting in – in the southern parts of Australia anyway- people might be laying up their planes till the weather improves. If anyone is interested in having a set made up drop me a PM

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Guys:This is not going anywhere! All I did was asking for advice on how to properly seal my rocker shafts :-(

Thanks

Im asuming you have done the instal/unstal yourself ,

On a scale of one to five Spanners ,

One Spanner being an easy job like changing the spark plugs

And five Spanners being the hardest type of work like engine assembly , right tools ect , Appropriate work space , How would you rate your ability in ,,Spanner ratings ?

Just asking ,

Cheers .

Just home from a 15 hour jaunt.Cht variation was the same as yours, only a single probe though.

Kept me happy enough.

PHIL

Good to hear Phill as I have said on my other thread you need fuel ratio gauge and EGT, gauges I have to richen up on cruise at times. They say compansating carb I don't know does not seem to work on mine.