RAA School

So I need to make a final decision today on which school to go with... I've decided to go the RAA route and complete any PPL gaps should I go PPL later on.

Anyone here had experience with Dave at Dave's Flying School? He seems really friendly and right now, keen on the cheapest price. He charges $150 dual.

Thoughts?

Guest Yampy

I did my XC endorsement with Dave at The Oaks after my Pilot Cert with Sydney Jabiru at Hoxton Park .I have nothing but praise for Dave and also for Bruce at Wollongong , who I have known and flown with on occasions .

I have send you a PM to detail .

Dave

He seems really friendly and right now, keen on the cheapest price. He charges $150 dual.Thoughts?

WOW wish it was that price here

I'm told the thing to watch out for is the cost of the on ground training some charge some don't

Hi JohnCarlo

I've just started learning with Dave and he's great, as is John. 1 hour dual = $150, 1 hour solo = $120. Having started doing my PPL a few years ago and then running out of $$$, personally for the quality of instruction and the fun factor of the little Jab, this is outstanding value!

They have Jabirus and also a Lightwing 'taildragger'.

I have chosen the RAA rather than PPL, as this suits my current budget and the type of flying I intend to do. Hours count toward PPL as well.

Give Dave a call and go pay him a visit at the Oaks. That way you can decide if it's for you...

Happy for you to PM me if you want to know anything more. I'm more than happy to recommend Dave's Flying School and no I'm not working on Commission.

Cheers Anthony

I trained with several instructors, including David Rolfe. I have a very high opinion of him, both as an instructor and a person.. And the Oaks is a good place to fly from, interesting, entertaining, and good practice (RH circuits on 18, LH on 36, parallel grass runways with a few boggy spots). They have a Quicksilver, I think, plus the Lightwing, LSA55s, and a J230.

The low cost is really nice, but most importantly, the quality of training is good. I don't think you will regret training with Dave (or any of his instructors),

dodo

I too can recommend Dave, my brother started with him 18 months ago and he did put my brother's mind at ease and my brother now has his certificate, he enjoyed his training with Dave.

Bob.

Can this be done??

Can't see why not, one of my instructors went from 0 hours to PPL in around a fortnight, flew as much as they could and I guess got a good run of weather, not sure what he did for the exams , that was the story anyway

Just to clarify I'm assuming you would be part way through your instruction Nev25. One week for the whole thing would not be realistic for most people but if it can be afforded I think there is merit in a more intensive training regime than the common 1 - 4 hours per month effort.

In the US there is intensive 1.5 and 2 week go to whoa courses, similar to what MM mentioned I think.

Go for a week, get your certificate done?

It took me twelve days to Cert, pax and XC - it is a very intense way to go but a full on adrenalin hit all the way, you do need to plan a week off when you get finished to get over the hang-over when you come back down. You don't get time to forget anything between lessons and all that muscle memory stuff comes together well flying twice a day. We did study and exams during the middle of the day, I couldn't sleep if I tried to study or do briefings the night before so we just did briefings before we flew, and did servicing and refuelling after last flight each day so we were ready to go next day with a clear head..

It took me twelve days to Cert, pax and XC - it is a very intense way to go but a full on adrenalin hit all the way, you do need to plan a week off when you get finished to get over the hang-over when you come back down. You don't get time to forget anything between lessons and all that muscle memory stuff comes together well flying twice a day. We did study and exams during the middle of the day, I couldn't sleep if I tried to study or do briefings the night before so we just did briefings before we flew, and did servicing and refuelling after last flight each day so we were ready to go next day with a clear head..

Its it possible to do the theory and exams before you start actually flying

There are online courses but I think they are in the states.

Just looking at options

Its it possible to do the theory and exams before you start actually flyingThere are online courses but I think they are in the states.

Just looking at options

I had an Aviation Training Centre student pilot kit and had read both books twice before my instructor got here with the plane. He had an RAA training manual and other manuals so I had other sources to clarify my questions and sat the exams on that, worked out fine, no bare passes (80%).

Can this be done??

No problems!

I did my PPL at Alice Springs in two weeks more than a few weeks ago:smile: but more importantly, I do RAA certificates in around the same time.

As for theory, most of my students travel very long distances so I usually help out with lessons during the day at no extra cost. 3 hours per day is my max per student plus theory - biggest problem with cost is the GST and accomodation