Subaru Engine

techie49

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone flying anything other than the EA81 1.8l engine?

I've been trying to get hold of a spare EA81 to play with and test mods to the ignition and timing,etc but they are a little scarce.

I've recently looked at the EJ22 from the Liberty. It's a 2.2l fuel-injected engine giving about 135hp @4800rpm. If you can get it to run without the OEM ECU, which needs every sensor going, I wonder if it would be a viable conversion.

Anyone any practical knowledge or suggestions??

Paul

Hi Paul

EJ22 is a lovely, bullet-proof Subaru (just as the EA81 is). Problem is it's weight compared to the EA81 when fitted to RaAus registered aircraft. For VH rego, it is relatively easy to fit and program an aftermarket ECU using just the sensors available. I would have gone this path had I been looking at VH rego. I now have 570 hours of proven EA81 flying and expect many more!

Hi PaulEJ22 is a lovely, bullet-proof Subaru (just as the EA81 is). Problem is it's weight compared to the EA81 when fitted to RaAus registered aircraft. For VH rego, it is relatively easy to fit and program an aftermarket ECU using just the sensors available. I would have gone this path had I been looking at VH rego. I now have 570 hours of proven EA81 flying and expect many more!

Hi John,

Yes I think the same. Fortunately my Zodiac is VH experimental. Have you any idea of the weight of the EJ22?

I was thinking of using the Megasquirt although I've never even seen one, but they seem to be a standard. I'm just getting the bits together to put the Ford EDIS on the EA81. This is why I wanted the spare engine. I'm getting the Megajolt unit for it and a trigger wheel, etc. The other fly in the ointment is the fact the EJ is EFI. Means I'll need a header tank for the fuel system as I can't put in return pipes very easily on the two wing tanks. Think I'll start looking for a Liberty engine. Do you know if people are using direct drive or fitting a PSRU? I could see DD being ok if you keep the revs down but of course you wouldn't be getting the power so you may as well stick to the EA81.

Incidentally John what's the carb system on your EA81? I've got twin Bings but am considering a single Weber. One less to go wrong or fall off .

Regards,

Paul

Hi Everyone,I've recently looked at the EJ22 from the Liberty. It's a 2.2l fuel-injected engine giving about 135hp @4800rpm. If you can get it to run without the OEM ECU, which needs every sensor going, I wonder if it would be a viable conversion..... Have you any idea of the weight of the EJ22?.....Anyone any practical knowledge or suggestions??

Paul

Hi Paul, I was going the EJ22 way at one stage and did get as far as a complete strip down of one and looking at the options. It has great potential and certainly some people are using them with great success, and of course if you want to trade a bit of reliability, you can get very big horsepower out of them with off-the-shelf parts.

Base weight, IIRC was 119kg, there was fair bit that could be cut off and/or lightened, according to the bloke in the link below you can get them down to 188lbs/86kg, but it's still a heavy engine compared with the EA81. I was told that there are many options for after market ECUs.

This guy seems to know just about everything about converting them for aero use, and the gearbox to use with them, he has a twin turbo version in his RV10. Hope it helps.

Guest nunans

i recently saw a 2.5l subaru fitted to a gyro. 165hp but it did look like a big engine sitting in a little gyro

I've run ea81's.....ej22's.......now ej25...........everyone of them was brilliant. Checkout web.......www.Flysoob.com.org. these guys know soobs and fixed wingers . "heavy" is the downside of soobs.

Parts/maintenance etc..........no probs at all. Drop me a "PM" i shall be happy to stear you to good info etc.

Gooday Paul

Not much point in looking at direct drive, as optimum power developed will be way above prop revs - eg my EA81 cruises at 4100 to 4300 rpm. Redrive is essential. I run a single SU HIF6 carby, advantages are that it is, like a Bing 64, altitude compensating at the levels we fly at but doesn't have a diaphragm which can fail and needs replacing every 2 years or so. (If service recommendations are followed). It is mounted on an adaptor bend into an EA82 standard intake manifold. Weight of engine (with all accessories) + redrive + mounts + 4 litres oil = 92 Kgs

Guest geoffp

Hi Paul

I have a full firewall-forward EA81 installation for sale. It's currently operating in my Aeropup and runs beautifully. Have a look at my ad in RAA Online Classifieds and either call or email me to discuss.

Cheers

Geoff Pinfold, Scone NSW

Hi PaulI have a full firewall-forward EA81 installation for sale. It's currently operating in my Aeropup and runs beautifully. Have a look at my ad in RAA Online Classifieds and either call or email me to discuss.

Cheers

Geoff Pinfold, Scone NSW

Little more than I wanted to pay but thanks.......

Paul

I can get a 2.5gen3 engine, just had 100,000 service done (runs smooth) Daughters car was rearended ,make an offer before the greedy insurance takes it away

spacesailor

Hi Spacesailor,

Sounds good. Can you PM me with some more details please. What vehicle, year, and engine type if available and a price range please as I don't want to insult you by making a silly offer. I need to id the engine type as I've been warned off a particular one where if the timing belt breaks, the engine sustains serious damage.

Paul.

...... I've been warned off a particular one where if the timing belt breaks, the engine sustains serious damage.....

It'll be an EJ25 engine I would say.

I think you'll find that almost all modern engines will get bent valves/damaged pistons if the timing belt breaks, which is why timing belts are generally required to be replaced every 60,000km or so.

Hi Paul, will get engine number , when back home

Subaru Heritage My02 ,2001 build date,2.5 ltr, gen 3,106,000 klms on the clock, very well maintained as her son{senior Subi technician} does it at cost at work.

Only boot and bumper, it still drives straight. Her youngest sons 3rd driving lesson, and he was stopped at the time.

spacesailor

P018.JPG.6b28e72060976c3702992224a662672a.JPG

It'll be an EJ25 engine I would say.I think you'll find that almost all modern engines will get bent valves/damaged pistons if the timing belt breaks, which is why timing belts are generally required to be replaced every 60,000km or so.

Good point, HITC. I regularly changing timing belts, but my old diesel Mitsubishi still found a way to bite me; the idler pulley bearing collapsed, allowing the belt to jump a few teeth. Luckily the heads are flat and no valves were bent! Minimal damage; going well again.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...