On a Wing and a Chair - Dave Jacka

Tecsar

Guest Maj Millard

If anyone knows or is talking with Dave or his crew, I'd be happy to offer him some support as he passes throught the Townsville area, wether it be fuel, rest support or whatever. I have worked a bit with quads in the past so I do understand some of their needs. Contact me through a PM or Email [email protected].........other than that of course he's just another pilot doing his thing, and were glad to help here in the North.......................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

All,

I know Dave very well, he is an inspiration to me, what he has to go through in his day to day life is truly amazing.

He learn to fly a Microlight first up and did around 80hrs solo in them before converting to 3 axis.

Reason for conversion was he cannot regulate his core body temp and the trike being out in the open he used to get very cold but now with cabin heat in the 230 he has the best of both worlds.

He did a number of 7 day fly aways with Megafauna in the trike, up at 4 am every day to get ready for a 7.30 start and still going late at night preparing for bed.

Both his trike controls and Jabiru controls were designed by himself and this cost him a lot of time and money but he was determined to fly and he has done what he had to to fufill his dream.

He is the most humble beautiful person you could meet with a wicked sense of humor.

I salute you Dave Jacka and wish you all the success a man could want in this epic voyage around our country.

Alf

• Like 6

Guest Maj Millard

Alf, Thanks for that....I have know some very interesting quads and paras in my time, and I know many of them just don't see themselves as 'handicapped' at all. My old skydiving mate from the 70s Graham Darr, who was Australias' first licensed Para GA pilot. Graham was unlucky to end up in a chair at an early age, due to a low-level ram-air chute collapse. It was my great pleasure to have him in the Lightwing a few years back in the Hunter valley, for an hours' flying. He did all the flying, I just assisted with rudder when needed. He had a great fly, but it was really my pleasure !....As one friend always said " we are all just one accident away from a wheelchair".I have accessed Daves' website and offered all our assistance through the Townsville area, should they need it, i greatly appreciate that sort of spirit in any form......................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Bass Straight is a great place for your shake down engine issues, it is great that they didn't hold him up much. Reminded me of a log of a flight from Gold Coast to New Zealand where the GPS was left on over night and the battery drained, he left anyway, let it charge on the way. Something special about an adventurer!

Had the pleasure of spending the evening with Dave Jacka yesterday , following his uneventful trip across the "paddock" from Hobart yesterday. Many members of East Gippsland Aero club ,and visitors ,made Dave and his entourage feel very welcome ,however his early departure this morning for Wollongong ,made for a relatively early night for all . Unlike able bodied people , Dave tends to lose body heat rapidly and , and with this in mind the members made sure the fire was well alight for his arrival . Bairnsdale this morning was down to 3 degrees ,with a clear sky and a 5 knot wind from the North . Also , due to his disability, and the amount of work to be done prior to departure , Dave ,his wife and Lida ,his carer for the trip , are also up at 0400 . Interestingly the entire support crew have taken leave from their respective jobs and volunteered their time . They travel in both Piper Lance and Arrow , and include experts in both the mechanical and electrical aspects of the aircraft . All said they " would'nt have missed the opportunity for quids ". Dave is an extremely pleasant and genuine person and we wish him, and his support crew a safe journey . Pics - Dave soaking up a few kilojoules , Go Pro's on both struts , and his departure on Rwy 31 this morning .

Bob[ATTACH=full]22069[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]22070[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]22071[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]22072[/ATTACH]

• Winner 1

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Greetings all

Dave and his group have all arrived safely at Wollongong and spent some time tonight with the Illawarra Flyers

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

Met Dave at Griffith late last year and chatted about the set up in the aircraft and his plans for the trip. Glad to hear it's all going well! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif