Autopilot it's sickening

The few times I've used AP in Cessna's and Pipers I usually turn it off in continuous turbulence as it was fighting against itself. Pretty uncomfortable in longer aircraft where yaw sends the back seaters from side to side!

Most simple autopilots can't be trusted in turbulence to not put loads on the aircraft structure. Disconnect it and hand fly the plane. Response rate is what needs to be adjusted. I don't know how it is done on yours but Dynon have a good query site ,( last time I looked), and respond quickly to your concerns. Nev

• Agree 1

No help to stevron but recently flew a J170 up from SA. Was impressed with the autopilot - Alt hold and Hdg or GPS tracking spot on. Also self disconnected in mod turbulence. Surprised how good they can be nowadays in small aircraft.

No idea how to adjust set up sorry, just that it can be done if you know how obviously.

I did a short trip in a Cutlass a few years back, damn thing was worse at holding a heading than me, just constantly weaved left n right , turned the piece of crap off very quickly, I also did a stint in an RV7a with an AP and it was great, must be a lot to do with the set up ,a bad one is useless and a good one is priceless .

I agree with what you said and it is easy to say "turn it off" but it so heavy dragging the servos all the time , I would much prefer to use the autopilot, I should go back to Brumby and maybe get some assist to set it up.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Exactly that, every time you move the yoke you are either pulling or pushing a linkage with a servo attached, so you have friction with every movement

Guest Andys@coffs

Then there is a problem. Servo's that are disconnected (ie AP not engaged) should add virtually nothing to the circuit and a human flying should not be able to tell if there is or isn't a servo added to the axis control. If you are saying yours is not like that then there is a problem with how yours is setup. If yours is heavy then it sounds as though yours is engaged all the time and you are overriding the servo (clutch slip)

Andy

Agree with both the last two posts An autopilot is an addition to a plane that can affect it's safe operation. You can check the disconnect function on the ground, but If you don't have it set up right and don't fully understand it's functioning you shouldn't be utilising it. Once you are airborne your plane is something well beyond a toy and you should not be chancing things that are not working correctly that affect the basic things like the control system. Nev

Hang on guys, dynon ap servos do not fully disengage and can add some drag to controls. Not much but it is there and you get used to it pretty quickly. No way you would confuse this with engaged ones however if they are engaged they are easily overidden if required.Makes ratcheting noise you can feel through controls

They have friction clutches inside and the dynon screen shows when they are on or off AND if they are being sliping.

These SV units have smarts inside which have settable torque limits. Try backing them off. Also run through calibration on the ground. Read the manual the setup process is all there.

• Agree 1