GoPro!

Hey Guys!!

I'm the proud new owner of a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition! I want to set this up in the cockpit and make some videos (like a Video Blog because im not really good at normal blogging! lol ) But i want to record sound from the intercom/headset has anyone used something like this ?

http://shop.pilotcommunications.com.au/item.mibiznez?id=34

Also if anyone has tips or tricks for great video from the gopro I would love to hear it!

Camo

• Like 1

I tried a similar cable which will record the radio/intercom if that is all you want but it was just too quiet for my liking. I ended up just buying a cheap lapel microphone off eBay and just put it inside my headset . This way it recorded the radio and also engine noise etc. so you record everything you hear.

Hey Guys!!Also if anyone has tips or tricks for great video from the gopro I would love to hear it!

Camo

Camo:

I've been usin a GoPro3 for a bit now and found out a few things.

With the camera in full HD mode (1920X1080) the view angle is narrower than in normal HD (720X576 ??)

When the camera is in full HD it is more susceptible to rolling shutter distortion (jelly-vision) which is almost impossible to eliminate. It also distorts the prop more.

Using wifi to control the Hero3 shortens the battery life a bit.

The GoPro cameras have an odd file naming system. The camera automatically splits long recordings up and the naming system doesn't give sequential access under the windows sorting.

When you head out to the airfield, leave the camera case open in the car and the air-con on. Then just before you get out of the car, close the case and don't open it until after the flight. This will dry the camera and case out and help prevent the dreadded fogged lens.

Mounting the camera on a tilted surface (rather than flat or vertical) and using a couple of mounting stems allows a lot of horizontal angular adjustment to get a level shot pointed where you want it. It's hard to explain, but easy to experiment with it. I mount mine on the struts.

I liked the look of the cable you linked. Thanks for that tip.

Mount the thing well back so that it catches you flailing about in the cockpit during your exploits in the air. You can learn a lot from that. I made a wooden stand that is strapped to the header tank behind the seats in my Jab and the camera is mounted to that. I use a Contour camera. It's nice to review your flying after to see if your speeds, rates of decent etc are good. I recorded the radio audio onto a small digital recorder using a lead I made up that plugs into the passenger headset socket. The lead attenuates the signal by a factor of ten. After, I mix the audio and video using Sony Vegas and a few glasses of cheap port.

• Like 1

Cam doesn't know it but I have a camera mounted in the back of 7314 so I can see what he is doing with my aircraft. LOL. Only joking Cam. I have complete faith in your flying.

Damn it no more barrel rolls 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

This was in Australian Flying weekly email

CASA Confirms External Camera Ruling

13 Jun 2013

CASA has confirmed that pilots will need to comply with the regulations of CASR 21.M to install "GoPro" type cameras on the external surface of an aircraft.

Under CASR 21.M (the old CAR35), a CASA authorised person has to approve the installation against existing airworthiness standards before the aeroplane can be flown.

"Attaching anything to the external surfaces of an aircraft, whether it is the wing or not, is considered a modification," CASA's spokesperson said.

"Depending on what is being attached, it may have an effect on the aerodynamics, structure and depending on its location it can affect the airspeed/altimeter readings, etc. Therefore, the alteration to the aircraft needs to be justified against the applicable airworthiness standard.

"Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR) 1988 regulation 35 was repealed approximately two years ago and replace by CASA Subpart 21.M. However, CASR Subpart 21.M has the same requirements as CAR 35 did.

"CASR Subpart 21.M does not disallow the installation of a modification or alteration to an aircraft, it is a regulation that allows design approval of the modification. CAR 42U requires any modification or repair to an aircraft to be installed in accordance with approved data. Therefore attaching a temporary modification must be done to 21.M approved data by an appropriately licenced person."

With the proliferation of GoPro-style cameras for videos and still shots, the issue has been bought into sharp focus, especially when those shots are published or put on websites.

Comment

Australian Flying has published many shots in the past from cameras mounted externally. As this practise has been going on for over 50 years we have always presumed there was no issue for the pilot. In future, we will still accept these shots, but will warn the photographer about the CASA requirement.

Share on emailEmail

• Informative 1

Would that apply to Rec aircraft? For example, 19- rego: the builder is allowed to modify their aircraft, but this seems to imply the builder wouldn't be allowed tht particular modification?

dodo

PS - purely hypothetical - I own a GoPro 2, but not an aircraft ;)

Different rules for VH Experimental category aircraft - mechanic gets to decide whether it is OK or, if considered significant for some reason, refer to CASA CofA delegate for decision. Changes to LSA require the OK from the manufacturer. Sorry, unable to comment on 19 regos.

Camo

If you don't want to spend on an audio cable, you can use a pair of ipod / iphone headphones. Put one speaker inside your headset earcup and leave the other one outside your headset. That way it will record both engine and radio. Plug the other end into the gopro mic socket. Probably doesn't work as well as dedicated mic or audio cable, but if you have a pair lying around you might find it works well enough.