WARNING Champix Drug

Admin

I quit smoking a couple of years back but at NatFly this year I bought a pack and immediately became hooked again. Not wanting to use the patches/lozenges to stop and cold turkey would kill me I went to the doctor and was prescribed a tablet called Champix.

The objective of this post is to send a warning to everyone that this medication is extremely dangerous. Not only can there be side effects of extreme nausea (believe me worse than Chemo), paralysing headaches, severe depression, illogical decision making but in my case, and many others, suicidal tendencies.

Whilst this drug is thought to help those that have an extremely high addiction to nicotine, the side effects in some can kill you long before smoking ever will. The doctor has now had to prescribe a counter acting agent for some time.

The point is that if you ever get prescribed with Champix be extremely careful and always have someone watching you and this goes for any kind of mind altering drug like Champix as we are in an industry where having being prescribed with a drug of this kind mixed with aviation can have extremely dire consequences...and you may not even know that you are being impacted by a drug as you are pulling the nose up hurtling down the runway on what you think was going to be a nice little flight.

Please be extremely careful and mindful of all medications that we may be taking when we have anything to do with aircraft...and if you know anyone taking Champix, please watch them

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

GOOD warning Ian. ALL drugs have side effects sometimes only in combination. Grapefruit juice ( Not lemon lime or other citrus) reacts with many medications. You can cross check these things on line. The best thing to replace smoking craving is to get totally hooked on lots of fresh air. Breathe in deeply through nose and mouth. Nev

Good old Human Factors... thanks for posting Ian.

I've never smoked in my life but can I suggest looking up this guys book:"Allen Carr. Easyway to stop smoking". No drugs or patches etc I think it's just a mind over matter thing. I've seen both my parents an another family member quit pretty much overnight (After 40 years of smoking), no cravings either. They put down their cigarettes halfway through reading the book and haven't looked back. I've got no affiliation to this guy but what have you got to lose?

another good reminder is what a well known radio announcer says which helped me:

'a good way to quit smoking is to stop sucking on the ends of them'

................. sort of reinforces what smoking is all about in a way

Suckers are on the ends of them. Aren't people nice who make and knowingly sell a product that kills the users and they sell it to younger and younger people. British and American tobacco own most of the hospitals in Bulgaria. That's thinking ahead. Do they own the funeral parlours too? Nev

I too had been prescribed Champix to help give up the nails and because I am also on Zoloft to combat the left over effects of ross river and glandular fever together, I was a sure candidate for the looney bin. Luckily enough my wife put an end to me taking the tablets and I just gave up smoking through will power alone. I found it extremely hard but I wouldn't go back for quids. Best of luck Ian and I can understand your predicament.

I stopped smoking at 21 years old with a half pack left and haven't touched one since.I will also give up marijuana just as soon as the patches come out.

They're making patches,,,it'll still be easy to spot at the airport,,,just look for the really really stoned guy covered in band aids !