First Nav today

Completed my first nav today, from YSBK to YWOL and back. This was months in the planning, as I had done the 4 hours of briefings back in January in preparation for doing them at the time. Keep in mind this was before I'd even gone solo, but we were going to work those in.

Anyway, after getting rained out for something like 4 attempts, I ended up doing my solos elsewhere, recently finished up my cert, and was now ready to pick it back up.

I'll update my blog with a narrative, but I was really pleased with how it went. Practicing with flight sim along with my flight plan and map etc really helped me nail it. Made it overhead YWOL within one minute of my original estimate. Return trip I was about 5 minutes early, as I don't think the winds were as strong or direct as forecast.

1.8 hours down, and next one is going to be much farther away and into unfamiliar territory (by air, anyway).

I was too focused to get any pics en route, so here is a pic of the planning area....

1839548024_Photo28-07-1364208PM.jpg.c9220963f8561c4f7cbab4499b2b390d.jpg

• Like 3

For your long nav I recommend YSBK, Braidwood, Batesman Bay, Moruya, Nowra Airspace GA Lane, Kiama, Wollongong, Thiroul, Appin, YSBK with a full or rolling stops at YMRY and YWOL. This meets the GA standard XCountry.

You will need to time your arrival at Ulludalla at no earlier than 12.30pm on Friday or anytime on the weekend when the restricted airspace around Nowra is not active but check notams for the Nowra (Navy) airspace to ensure that it is indeed not active. A call on Nowra (YSNW) CTAF will indicate if the airspace is de-activated.

This is a great flight, a bit of tiger country between Braidwood and Batemans Bay so stay high as you come down the mountain. The strips at Moruya and the 'gong are the real deal and the scenery is to die for. Unlike the idiots at YSBK, the owners of YMRY and YWOL understand that crosswinds strips are of some value.

I don't know what arrangements are in place at Moruya to be met with open arms by the RAA mob. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Go fly, have fun.

• Like 1

Yippee!!!! NO electronic gadgets in the photo (bar the calculator). I enjoy the traditional flight planning and navigating. Have fun...

Yes me too, and my CFI is a stickler for it. I think it just enhances the whole experience. sure I might one day get an iPad with ozrunways, but I'll always look forward to planning the trip and seeing how i go with my times and tracks via the map, watch, and compass.

For your long nav I recommend YSBK, Braidwood, Batesman Bay, Moruya, Nowra Airspace GA Lane, Kiama, Wollongong, Thiroul, Appin, YSBK with a full or rolling stops at YMRY and YWOL. This meets the GA standard XCountry.You will need to time your arrival at Ulludalla at no earlier than 12.30pm on Friday or anytime on the weekend when the restricted airspace around Nowra is not active but check notams for the Nowra (Navy) airspace to ensure that it is indeed not active. A call on Nowra (YSNW) CTAF will indicate if the airspace is de-activated.

This is a great flight, a bit of tiger country between Braidwood and Batemans Bay so stay high as you come down the mountain. The strips at Moruya and the 'gong are the real deal and the scenery is to die for. Unlike the idiots at YSBK, the owners of YMRY and YWOL understand that crosswinds strips are of some value.

I don't know what arrangements are in place at Moruya to be met with open arms by the RAA mob. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Go fly, have fun.

Thanks col, I'll suggest this route. Looks like next up is YSBK - YKAT - YBTH - YORG - YMDG and back, but would be good to have a different one up my sleeve in case of weather out Mudgee way for example...

Interesting - Avayner has taken the approach I did - get the nav first, then the passenger will come, but I can see the sense in getting some practice in and getting the passenger before the x-country.

I still haven't chased up the passenger endorsement, but after that there is still the tailwheel, low perf (if it still exists by then) and possibly the 2 stroke endorsements. I think this will take me a while!

dodo

Well... my thought on that is if I go for the navs first, that is at least a minimum of 10 more hours with an instructor wherein my skills can only get sharper. I am sure there is no right or wrong order, but for me that was my line of thinking. And, we might take some breaks and do an hour here or there of solo at this or that airfield and add em up that way. More than likely though, I'll go somewhere else to get that - just too hard to try and arrange out of Bankstown when Wollongong or even Jaspers Brush are relatively close and much less hassle.

I joked with my CFI that so far a reasonable % of my total time includes taxiing and holding! :)

Awsome news ayavner.I have taken up my first passenger. I will start my navs in Sept. Well done mate.

Great stuff Ivan - did you start a thread on it? I'd like to hear how that went!

Quite a few places like that. It does dilute your flying. Nev

True, but on the upside I am not fazed by higher traffic in the area or unusual requests from the tower so there's a bit of a trade-off I guess.

I think you are right. I have no CTA experience at all. I don't intend needing that knowledge, but it might be useful.

You could always come over to the Oaks for some solo practice.

dodo

• Agree 1

I have the same train of thought, once I do my solo nav I'll have the 10 hours required to get my PAX endo. I only intend on taking passengers after i get my X-Country done and dusted. I'll definitely feel more confident that I do now about taking a willing passenger.

• 2 weeks later...