AGM Proxies

pmccarthy

I just filled in my proxy form. I want my state rep to be my proxy - how can I know his address and member number? Don't say ring him, because there are thousands of members asking the same question. He will be snowed. Surely just writing his name and state rep is sufficient?

Then there is a section which says vote in favour or against ( delete as applicable) followed by a list of resolutions which each requires a tick for or against. It is illogical and a very amateur document. It gives me no confidence that we are well organised.

And by the way, when do votes for the election close? I can't find mention of it on this site, on the RAAus site, or in Sport Pilot. Not impressed.

I agree Proxy voting is clumsy. It is very messy as we saw at Queanbeyan when there were probably 700+ proxies. Imagine having to count that many and get a verifiable result in a reasonable amount of time.

Regarding an address for your Board Rep:

C/- RA-Aus,

3/1 Pirie St, Fyshwick, ACT 2609

is sufficient, has been used in the past and not disqualified the proxy.

You can direct your Proxy to vote as they see fit on the day rather than direct your Proxy on how you want him/her to vote on each issue. But of course you would want to be sure your Proxy's view on all matters before doing that.

One of the proposed amendments to the Constitution attempts to address the problem but the real solution, imho, is postal voting. Why ask somebody else (who you hope gets to the meeting) to vote for you when you could do it for yourself?

From the notice on the website concerning the election nominations

"Voting will close at 4pm EST, Friday 16th August 2013."

From the July edition of SportPilot, page 44:

"Voting will close at 4pm EST, Friday 16th August 2013."

From the website notice for the NQ By-Election, nominations closed on 31 July 2013. That is too late for the candidates names to appear in the August edition of Sport Pilot and so they will appear in the September edition along with voting papers for residents of NQ. Close of voting for the NQ By-election will be announced in the same edition.

Thanks Alfa. I was looking in the latest SportPilot ... Not there I think. And I didn't have the sense to look in the Members section of the website, I was looking in News and the Calendar. To complete my admissions of inadequacy, how did the voting papers arrive? I guess they were in the Plastic sleeve for the July Sportpilot, in which case they ended up in the bin. I haven't received a separate letter.

. . . how did the voting papers arrive? I guess they were in the Plastic sleeve for the July Sportpilot, in which case they ended up in the bin. I haven't received a separate letter.

If, as Kyneton implies, you are a Victorian resident, you would not have received voting papers because the only candidate, Jim Tatlock, was returned unopposed. No vote needed.

That explains why no voting paper. Does anyone else have trouble following all of this? I read the mag and these blogs pretty thoroughly, but as an ordinary member I struggle to follow what is going on. I admit paying more attention to the flying bits, and maybe age has something to do with it, but a lot of the discussion seems to require a lot of personal knowledge of characters and events that I don't have. I'm sure the information is there, it is drowned out by a lot of other stuff.

Consider yourself fortunate pmc that you haven't experienced so much of RA-Aus that you are familiar with all the ins and outs (and in-outing 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif).

I long for the day when there is nothing much happening in "Governing Bodies" and we can all get back to the fun and informative stuff in the other sections.

• Agree 1

That explains why no voting paper. Does anyone else have trouble following all of this? I read the mag and these blogs pretty thoroughly, but as an ordinary member I struggle to follow what is going on. I admit paying more attention to the flying bits, and maybe age has something to do with it, but a lot of the discussion seems to require a lot of personal knowledge of characters and events that I don't have. I'm sure the information is there, it is drowned out by a lot of other stuff.

Bugga off with the age bit PMC what's wrong with getting old ... oh that's right you did say, thank God you wrote it and didn't say it or I would have forgotten ... LOL

• Agree 2

If it's better to wear out than rust out I must be doing something right strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif

Don, where have you been? We have missed your sage advise and cunning turns of phrase.

• Like 1

I agree Proxy voting is clumsy. It is very messy as we saw at Queanbeyan when there were probably 700+ proxies. Imagine having to count that many and get a verifiable result in a reasonable amount of time.One of the proposed amendments to the Constitution attempts to address the problem but the real solution, imho, is postal voting. Why ask somebody else (who you hope gets to the meeting) to vote for you when you could do it for yourself?

In NSW when the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 became law on 1 July 2010, the Model Constitution that was created, specifically disallowed proxy voting. The Act states that an Association's constitution must specifically address whether proxy voting is allowed. The main reason it is disallowed under the model constitution, is the difficulty in verification of signatures and that if a proxy is given carte blanche rather than to vote yes or no to a specific resolution, your vote may be given against the way you would have personally voted.

Postal Voting was brought in under the same legislation and RA-Aus does use this method although governed by the ACT legislation. e.g. the recent ballot for the NSW rep. There is no reason why it could not be used at an AGM as well and proxy voting outlawed. The motions and arguments for and against could be conveyed to members in a number of ways. Magazine, Emails, Webinars, Web site etc.

• Agree 2

Postal Voting is my preference to appointing proxies.

The only advantage of a proxy is if the proxy-giver allows their proxy to vote as they see fit on the day once they have had the chance to ask questions and hear the arguments for and against at the meeting.

Postal Voting is my preference to appointing proxies.The only advantage of a proxy is if the proxy-giver allows their proxy to vote as they see fit on the day once they have had the chance to ask questions and hear the arguments for and against at the meeting.

If the proposed Special Resolution, including the argument(s) for and against, is presented to members early enough to provide an opportunity for debate and refinement then Postal voting is definitely the way to go. I think this format should be encouraged (required?).

The only time a proxy could be useful is where there is a motion from the floor. In this case the proxy giver would have to be very confident that the proxy holder held very much the same views as they did.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

If the proposed Special Resolution, including the argument(s) for and against, is presented to members early enough to provide an opportunity for debate and refinement then Postal voting is definitely the way to go. I think this format should be encouraged (required?).

If we pass this proposed amendment, the Board can nut out the details and encode them as by-laws.

The only time a proxy could be useful is where there is a motion from the floor. In this case the proxy giver would have to be very confident that the proxy holder held very much the same views as they did.

Our Constitution does not allow for motions from the floor because we have so many members who could not conceivably make it to a general meeting. For example, any meeting venue in the Eastern States pretty well rules out attendance by any but the most determined (& wealthy) WA resident member.

• Caution 1

Hi Don,

Could you have some arrange to have the proxy form for the september posted here to make it easier to relace missing, tossed out, delayed etc proxy forms.

And maybe the proposals as well.

Cheers

The proxy form is available on the RAAus web site on the 'About' page - it is an appendix to the Constitution.

A .pdf copy of the form is also shown below.

The proposed Special Resolutions are also on the RAAus web site in the Members section under "Latest Notices" then "Motions for Special Resolutions".

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

RAA Proxy Form.pdf

RAA Proxy Form.pdf

RAA Proxy Form.pdf

And maybe the proposals as well.

The proposals are now up as first post of separate threads to keep the discussions on topic. No need for them here, just insert Don Ramsay Member Number 026026 of 49/1 King Street Newcastle NSW as your proxy and tick the box that gives me the right to vote yes to them all :-).