The Maj kicks off another Major.........

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

The attached story and photos highlight the importance of 'giving a ride' when you have the opportunity, with the hope that you can 'plant the seed 0f the flying bug' in someone, and further assist the growth of our sport.

It also highlights just how unproductive the current regulation is that an experienced pilot in a dual-control training machine can 't allow a person to simply 'feel the controls ' during a ride.

Circa 1997 :...........A few local UL pilots in the Ingham NQ area have decided to put on an Anzac Day fly-in at Ingham Airport. Word is passed around, and several other pilots from surrounding areas fly in to join the local pilots.

There is good coverage in the small local Ingham paper, and many locals join us all for a great day of Ultralight flying. Many of the experienced pilots fly rides throughout the day, including Frank Arri CFI who has flown down in his Drifter from the Cairns region.

We had been assisted all day long by the local air cadets, both male and female decked out in their uniforms. They had been vey handy with keeping things safe, and with refuelling and parking etc.

Around 3 PM things start to wind down and I approach the other pilots about giving rides to the the air cadets who have been so helpfull. I approach their leader ( also the local police sergeant, now the local Ingham mayor ) and ask if that would be ok ...his curt reply.."they've all got permission letters from their parents ! "

We gave all the interested cadets a ride around the local area and I flew three, two males and a female, Helen Mammino. I collected their little letters of permission signed by their parents, and still have them proudly in my logbook (see below)...I gave them all a 'feel' of the controls, and Helen was by far the best of the three . I asked her where she wanted to go, and she replied around the nearby sugar mill, and over her families nearby cane farm. All rides were flown at 2000 Ft or above, for a great view of the sourrounding areas which includes the nearby world heritage Hinchinbrook Island and channel.

Helen's flying was impressive, and after landing I asked her if she was considering a career in aviation ?....she replied " I don't know yet". I suggested to her that she should, as she appeared to be a natural pilot for sure.

I next saw Helen several years later when she flew an Army Blackhawk helicopter into Ingham airport ....she was now a 1st or 2nd Army Leiutenant !!.....She then flew the Blackhawk over to her former high school in Ingham, and landed it in the school ground, as part of an army promotional exercise.

A couple of days ago my wife pointed out the photo attached below to me. Helen is now an Army Major, not a bad promotional run in just sixteen years from being an Air force cadet getting her first ride in a Drifter !....

I haven't chatted to Helen recently but I would imagine she has done some Blackhawks time in the Middle East possible leading to her rapid rise in rank.

Keep giving those rides folks....you never know just how big a seed you are planting !!.................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

image.jpg.35104918ef85702195fc89c87252a5ba.jpg

image.jpg.90309c0be16d80637d78177efb6fbe43.jpg

image.jpg.56711a59a3356f849720b0a8beec03c4.jpg

image.jpg.13bfceb2b16fb8c95e6ade448b750b30.jpg

image.jpg.ef89fd57ae3f6f142d92964220ddbc43.jpg

You are right on the ball there Major.

As for the current regs they make one wonder what's just rattling around inside the regulator's heads.

"It also highlights just how unproductive the current regulation is that an experienced pilot in a dual-control training machine can 't allow a person to simply 'feel the controls ' during a ride."

So bloody true Maj. Good post.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"It also highlights just how unproductive the current regulation is that an experienced pilot in a dual-control training machine can 't allow a person to simply 'feel the controls ' during a ride."So bloody true Maj. Good post.

I'll bet that rule is bent ,sometimes?

• Agree 1

love your work Major. Must be a real pleasure seeing those shiny aviator wings on her uniform.

It works the other way around too. My introduction to ultralights came at the suggestion of a military aviator friend. I was saving up enough cash to get a PPL at the time and he suggested I try ultralights instead, as a cheaper option. I've loved every second of it. the light aircraft are good, but the ultralights are just fantastic.

• Agree 2

Just to add. You can often pick a "natural". I've seen a few. One of the best, as far as I know never bothered to go ahead with aviation. Some start out fairly average, like Richtofen but he certainly come good later. He was good with a gun too . That may have helped. Nev

IF you have an incident and it comes out that the Pax was flying it, you will be "in the GUN". The sort of judgements you may be required to make you will not be trained for. People can do unpredictable things like "freezing" on the controls. Also it depends how far you go. Having a "feel" at thousands of feet up is different from flying to flare height, but both are not legal. I'm a great believer in having your partner or regular flying companion somewhat competent to fly. IF you get food poisoned that might save both of your lives. Nev

• Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard

Trouble is in this country they give you the privilege, but do't let you exercise it, AKA ' use best judgement'. You've proven that you have the skill and intelengence to maintain complete control of an aircraft, however even with a PX endo to them you don't have the nouce to control a passenger.

The FAA refer to it as..." relinquishing full control", which does give the PIC some leeway in deciding just how much control he/she wishes to relinquish to a non-pilot/ passenger. And if any one is silly enough to actually believe that a qualified, experienced pilot is going to actually relinquish full control to a non pilot /passenger, then they are sillier than I believe they are.....

As far as for someone 'freezing up' on the controls, well that could happen with any passenger wether you've let them 'touch the controls' or not. A panic attack is a panic attack, and all PICs should be prepared to deal with that on the very rare occasions that one may occur.

What's next ??........a regulation that says " no flight control should be within reaching distance of any passenger at anytime whilst in flight"......and whilst your at it can you wrap everything in cotton-wool please. Get real..................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

You can seat passengers that you think are ok in a seat with controls. I had it happen to me on a Newcastle Sydney flight with an Embraer "bandierante". I don't think he was aware that I flew anything, otherwise he might have made more effort to fly within the rules. I didn't say anything. He saved me walking and I guess they get bored flying the same leg day after day.

I think CASA are over a barrel with this sort of thing. the easiest way out is to just say NO. Passengers would not want the flight attendant flying the thing, Though didn't Doris DAY land a DC-6 or something? (in a film) . Nothing to it .Nev

• Like 1

In about 1986 or 1987 a friend went for a ride with Frank Arri (Farri) in his Chinook then I went as well and we were both hooked, within 3 months we had both bought planes (ultralights) within the next 3 months we were both single. We learnt to fly our planes and for the next year or so had an absolute ball flying around the Atherton Tablelands in our new planes it was stuff straight out of Jack Flyer. Unfortunately those days are now gone.

Richard.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
love your work Major. Must be a real pleasure seeing those shiny aviator wings on her uniform.

Yes it does give me some satisfaction to know that even in a very small way, I may have helped to put those wings on that Majors chest......Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

*formatting fixed - Mod xox

Guest Maj Millard
I hope Mandy hasn't gone on to be a forum member???

Not sure myself where 'Mandy' came from....I think those damn kids were hiding behind the Hangar writing their own notes, so they could get a Drifter ride !!..............good on them..

....Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes it does give me some satisfaction to know that even in a very small way, I may have helped to put those wings on that Majors chest......Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif*formatting fixed - Mod xox

Don't think too much about pinning wings on the Majors chest Maj...

• Haha 1

I took a passenger up .................... and during a cruise portion of the flight 'the ball' was way over to one side ................... I quietly suggested to the passemger it would probably be a good idea if they removed their foot from one of the rudder pedals

In hindsight the passenger was tense and had braced one leg - the end of that leg was a foot and a rudder pedal

............ true maj - but if your passenger ever turns out to be an axe muderer I don't spose any breifing will assist (unless you advise that axe is to be left on ground)

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Years ago I was flying rides at the Old Station fly-in in my Drifter, I had flown an old country bloke the year before, and he turned up again with his middle aged son this year.

The old bloke loved the Drifter and couldn't get in quick enough. You always extend the ride a bit for these characters !...

After the old bloke had his ride, he insisted it was now the sons turn !.... I could see from the sons reaction that he did not in any way have the old mans enthusiasm, for climbing into the drifter.

But the old man insisted, and we strapped the son into the back seat, although he was definetly out of his comfort zone !......

It was the ride from hell for us both of us, as after takeoff I could just feel he did not in anyway want to be there, and I was fearfully that he may be silly enough to jump out, and I was having trouble even communicating with him on the intercom.

I flew a quick circuit and landed, and we both taxied in quite happy it was all over so quick. Some people are just not ment to fly !!!!!!......I think the old man came back the following year for another ride, but without his son this time.......................Maj.........023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Geez Teckair...remind me to stay away from you. ... Beats ups that have gone wrong. ..now bent planes from passengers. ...Ya might be hanging around with the wrong crowd I think. Promote the sport!

No problem .....stay away from me.

Won't be too hard Teckair, but my point is that this is a 'feel good' story and as usual it doesn't take long for a "Oh, but this could happen" remark to come out and rain on the parade. Can we just enjoy some sunshine on a cloudy day here for once? Good on ya Maj too....