Drifter upgrade

c722352

To my knowledge, the 25 registered Drifter was originally certified with the Rotax 503, hung inverted.

Later, the moderfication to allow the engine to be mounted upright was made and approved by Austflight Aviation and the Rotax 582 was also approved.

Appart from any other issues that may arise from fitting a different engine, anyone concerned about maintaining certification needs to be aware of what the requirements are.

Frank.

Ps, I`m still interested to know why a Jabiru engine.

Is someone suggesting an engine failure with a Jaboru. Now that's a new idea!. Is a jabiru more likely to fail than a two stroke. I wouldn't think so? I know one fella who has had 13 engine failures of rotax two strokes. Haven't met anyone who has had that many with Jabs. More failures with two strokes can be anticipated in future. They are getting older there are no parts for anything but a 582 and people don't know how to use them or care for them, often. Nev

• Caution 1

I am reasonably certain that I saw one in 2000 in the Boonah Austflight hangar, I think Jim Fenton told me that it was the 80 hp version. I can tell you from experience that 80hp in a Drifter is a very nice thing.

Is someone suggesting an engine failure with a Jaboru. Now that's a new idea!. Is a jabiru more likely to fail than a two stroke. I wouldn't think so? I know one fella who has had 13 engine failures of rotax two strokes. Haven't met anyone who has had that many with Jabs. More failures with two strokes can be anticipated in future. They are getting older there are no parts for anything but a 582 and people don't know how to use them or care for them, often. Nev

I would be almost willing to bet that all of those 13 engine fails were a result of incorrect operation. 582's don't just stop for no reason, they don't fall apart either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It was a lot of flying over quite a few years but certainly excessive. I have no idea what oil he used. He never pranged and got hurt. Plenty of practice forced landings..I didn't say they were all 582's. Still I reckona jabiru is not as likely to fail as the average two stroke. I also make the point that people will not operate them as well as when they were everywhere, and there was more knowledge about in general. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Facto, I can guarantee you that most 2 stroke failures that I have seen in about 20 years of maintaining and flying them, are as a result of incorrect handling, servicing, or maintenance (lack of) by the owners, as opposed to unplanned internal mechanical failure . I have of course seen instances where one operator has multiple problems or failures with an engine, but I can guarantee you it wasn't the engine at fault.

If I had a choice of a 2 stroke or jab over mongrel country, I'd take the Rotax 2 stroke every time, thank you very much..................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Both the rotax and the jabiru have to be looked after. My point is that with less knowledge about the 2 strokes will be worse than they used to be. I would certainly NEVER start a 2 stroke without feeling the compressions first. I have seen some that have less compression than a bad lawn mower. Lots of people are NOT mechanical these days. If we start to do stats, that could easily show up. I'm very careful with engines as you are. I think a lot of his trouble was stale fuel, but this is the sort of thing that happens till people know what to do.. If they aren't told they don't know. Nev

Both the rotax and the jabiru have to be looked after. My point is that with less knowledge about the 2 strokes will be worse than they used to be. I would certainly NEVER start a 2 stroke without feeling the compressions first. I have seen some that have less compression than a bad lawn mower. Lots of people are NOT mechanical these days. If we start to do stats, that could easily show up. I'm very careful with engines as you are. I think a lot of his trouble was stale fuel, but this is the sort of thing that happens till people know what to do.. If they aren't told they don't know. Nev

I did see in the RAA mag a while ago, in one of the columns, that someone noted that numerically ( not statistically), 2 strokes made up less of the engine failures. Maybe all the 2 stroke owners who were having failures sold them and bought 4 strokes to have engine failures with.

I don't think there are a lot being flown these days. (Similar to Tailwheel). Failures have to be related to hours flown or some common datum that is realistic.( Perhaps no of take offs with two strokes). Some of the car engine adaptations might show up too. It is a question of quality control of the installation and there are so many variables. I have seen newly constructed aircraft being "readied" that there is no way I would fly them. as a test flight .Nev