Tin Snip Brands

Irwin Gilbow tin snips are the best I know of. They cost between $30.00 & $70.00 each depending on the size, style & required use. The have drop forged hardened carbon steel handles & blades. Both blades are hollow ground to reduce friction when cutting. Do not use snips with serrated edges as they will leave a serrated edge on the sheet metal you cut. With practice using Gilbow snips you can get a perfectly straight edge that only needs a light sand to remove the sharpness.

• Agree 1

I bought Wiss snips for my build and there is no point cutting close to an egde because you will have to take close to another 1/4 mm off with the file to get rid of the serrations. Only good thing about them was the the price, right , straight and left set was only $49 at Bunnings. Luckily my Savannah kit requires so little cutting and trimming that in my case it is only a minor irritation.

Irwin Gilbow tin snips are the best I know of.

Ask anyone who works with sheet metal professionally (like roofers) and they all swear by Gilbows. They look pretty lo-tech compared to the bunnies cheapies (left, right and straight) but everyone uses 'em.

BTW, Ask a roofer how to cut a sheet of corro directly across the corrugations and be prepared to be amazed.

BTW, Ask a roofer how to cut a sheet of corro directly across the corrugations and be prepared to be amazed.

When I built my place they sold me a blade to put in my circular saw, with square blunt teeth, didn't believe it was going to work until I actually got to try it out.

When I built my place they sold me a blade to put in my circular saw, with square blunt teeth, didn't believe it was going to work until I actually got to try it out.

When I was getting ready to put my roof on, I went to a roofer for some tips. He showed me how he did cross cuts on corrugated iron (or colourbond) by nicking the sheet on the side, then standing on it, then he gripped it near the nick and tore the sheet in half like a piece of paper!

• Agree 1