CASA's hidden agenda ????........

Guest Maj Millard

Well for a start - if you are an RAA member you are required to comply with specific ICAO document for the Safety Management System mandated by CASA in 2010.

So If i'm correct, that was in our 2009/10 Deed of Agreement. that deed is replaced each year and according to the new 2013/14 deed Schedule D. there are 4 SMS milestones to be achieved during this deeds start and end dates.. Most of the milestones are due over the next 4 months. The first is Nov 30th.

The SMS now has to comply with CASAs requirements. i accept that CASA probably has based this on the ICAO document so your statement, in my oppinion, is partially true but the compliance is with CASA not ICAO.

As an aside, I agree this is well over due and if we take our Deed seriously this should have been done years ago. My understanding is a SMS is one that fits the organisation and is able to morph to fit with changing circumstances. As our organisation has dealings with individuals, Training organisations, and CASA it will not apply as a blanket but should cover each part efficiently and without undue burden.

I for one appreciate your input and know you talk with experience and a passion. i just want to make sure I understand what i'm talking about.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CASA, FAA, CAA and RAA through CASA are all required to comply with the one ICAO document. I assume they all signed general compliance agreements to cover commonalitites like this.

The document trail from RAA to the ICAO document I saw did not relate to a deed of agreement, and appeared to be more permanent than your understanding. There must be some permanence mentioned somewhere otherwise you wouldn't know whether CASA would let you fly from one year to the next and that would break all sorts of conventions.

As far as the SMS is concerned, RAA was free to write that exactly as it wanted for the resources it has and to suit all sections of its membership, particularly the grass roots flyers

That the members didn't do it and are still reluctant to get it under control has its biggest impact on RAA if there. Is a big lawsuit or a bog crash. The way I see it at present RAA and CASA are fellow travellers in that and I'm particularly surprised that Casa people would put themselves and organization at risk when they didn't have to.

• Helpful 1

Guest Maj Millard

You can't believe much that they say at CASA forums which is why I stopped going to them some years ago. Idealistic dribble that Probabily gets changed or modified in a week or so anyway....................Maj.....

We need to face up to THE FACT that we have no choice but to transition to an RPL over the next 4 years.

What about the all the Pilot certificate holders for whom there is no equivalent qualification with the RPL ?

ICAO compliant -- as long as you have ALL airspace endorsements - so we can legally fly abroad

The format of the CASA Part 61 licences is ICAO compliant but, since Annex 1 establishes no standards for sub-PPL licences, the Australian RPL will have no entitlement to be used overseas.

The exact statement by a CASA Rep at one of th epart 61 seminars was " there will be a transition from RA Aus certificate to RPL"

That would be an answer to a question - without the actual question it is meanless. Yes I have attended one of the seminars as well, and read Part 61. The meaning of the answer would be there is a transition if you so elect - not as it reads stated on its own.

Please read the actual document and not get carrried away about something that is not there.

Again I say READ the jolly doucment.

CASA and CASR Part 61

After attending their seminar, and reading Part 61 several times, and speaking with local ATO delegates - I'm convinced that CASA regards this whole thing as a work-in-progress. The document is huge, and beyond any individuals' complete understanding. That's evident in the number of differing opinions from CASA people, and in some cases, their lack of any satisfactory explanation. The Manual of Standards is incomplete in several sections, and without any indication of a completion date. The proposed low level rating syllabus is a joke!

It would just be so good for the industry if CASA was to actually admit that it stuffed the system back in 89/90 by changing it from RPPL/UPPL to the existing GFPT/PPL'country'/PPL CTA/CTZ. They can obfuscate all they like with quotes about aligning with ICAO, the EU system, or wherever else - when we all know that Austalia should really be aligned with the US PPL/CPL/ATPL. Unfortunately, in Canberra ,the very fact of living in a 'gated village' with no understanding of the real world, causes bureaucrats to dream up 'Australia only' rules and regs. Keeps them in jobs, and gives the impression of activity. But, activity doesn't, of itself, result in sound decisions and progress.

Yes, there is a very easy pathway from RPC to RPL, but as noted above - that's only if the pilot wishes to take that route. I think that it will create more RAAus flying school activity,especially in the regions, because it's a cheaper route. For so many pilots who are looking to obtain the right to fly a 4/6/8 seat GA aircraft, with more than just 2 seats occupied - it will require a Class 2 medical, not the DL(aviation)medical - and they must complete CTA/CTZ for a full (read: unrestricted) PPL. Only with an RPL can you obtain a cross-country endorsement, without CTA/CTZ. So the long awaited, and much praised, RPL falls far short of what the existing 'country' PPL offers. About the only 'advantage' is the medical, and in many respects you're better off going for Class 2. Just look at the added limiting conditions for that medical...quite onerous.

CASA and the new Ministerial Review

Maybe we'll see some changes after this review reports back to Minister Truss, but in the rush to legislate on many other more important matters - it's going to be well down the list. But at least we can all vent our frustration to the review when the website is opened and the terms are published fully. It's my opinion that we should be pointing to the NZ legislation as a working model of what we need. It's of course quite silly of us to think that Canberra would ever accept that they have the wrong system. CASA are more concerned with their self-preservation, and it's quite unlikely that they have any secret agenda for RAAus.

happy days,

• Agree 3

What I'm reading into the Ministerial view is that despite my thoughts that he was off with the fairies regarding the deteriorating safety standard, he was on the ball after all and will be taking a close look at CASA and ATSB.

Our problem is that when the sh$t starts to fly, some of it may hit us.

Most of the milestones are due over the next 4 months. The first is Nov 30th.

I Love quoting myself.. i asked Jim if the first milestone was to be met and he replied and said I could post his reply.

"

Chris,

Thanks for the email. CASA have had a draft copy since the 4th of September to review and comment on. To this date they have not come back to us. We are continually developing the SMS which will be actioned soon after the appointment of the temporary position of National Safety Officer. We are also researching the option to introduced web based reporting.

CASA have also indicated not to be concerned with the dates as the deed is not dependant on them and they preferred to have the document signed instead of delayed as we negotiated dates. Feel free to post this on the forums.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock" ( extra lins removed.)

So there has been movement but as always the bureaucracy has slowed it somewhat. :-)

Under the circumstances slowness on CASA's part is not very appropriate, especially on new procedures which I imagine are somewhat controversial. Communication is needed, especially at this time . Why am I so untrusting? Nev

Why am I so untrusting? Nev

I saw it on Southpark the other night, it's called "advanced cynicism", like myself, you may be have it. One of the major symptoms is that everything you hear sounds like sh*t.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

A couple who understand what we are on about ( our essence of cheap affordable simple flying) would be a good start. Education not punishment, Make applicable RULES available, consistent, concise and comprehendible. Stop regarding US as a scary bottom feeding bunch of loopies. As I keep saying Dick smith flies ALL kinds of aircraft. He doesn't pretend to be the world's best pilot. He's not an aviation "snob". That's the sort of person I would see a discussion with being worthwhile. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3