Tyre pressure argument

Guest Redair

Oh dear, it seems that in stead of taking this as a light hearted theoretical problem, everyone is of the opinion that I have absolutey no idea about these things. Guess the intent got lost in the translation. One other question though... if I can stop the planet rotating, will gravity stop, and if so, will we then lose our atmosphere? If that is the case, and I have my tyre valves tightly closed, the tyres should then inflate? Right? So if we all point our planes east, and take off at the same time, that should stop the planet rotating? Right?

Do I have too much time to think? Redair.

Oh dear, it seems that in stead of taking this as a light hearted theoretical problem, everyone is of the opinion that I have absolutey no idea about these things. Guess the intent got lost in the translation.

I got it, just wasn't witty enough to come up with anything funny to add....

Thank you for tour kind words Nev. Now I assume one of your "No" answers was in response to the idea of everyone taking off in an easterly direction? Well, how about this... given that the conveyor belt syndrome would cause our free-spinning wheels to impart no oppositional force to the planet... what if we all face west, run up to full power and hold the brakes on? Eh? Eh? And are you sure that gravity doesn't hold the atmosphere down? Unless of course the atmosphere is held there by the magnetic force of the Earth... I mean, it does have an ionosphere, and we all know ion is magnetic, (I do luv been dickleskick). One other point, Blart-and-start-fast and I are 2 different people, and I want to state for the record that I neither know about, nor have had anything to do with his disappearance:no:

Redair.

If the Earth stopped spinning there would be a hell of a lot of bad effects (complete loss of the magnetosphere for starters, which would allow much more solar radiation to reach us, killing pretty much all surface life on the planet).

However it would not stop gravity, which is caused by the mass of the planet and not its spin. So the good news is, while you'd be dead, you'd still be on Earth.

The more important question is, if you were travelling at the speed of light and turned on your headlights, would the light from them be exceeding the speed of light...?

For goodness sake, Redair, you DO over think! Haven't you got your paperwork in order so you can go flying and take your mind away from superfluous thinking?

P.S. We're currently in Canberra on a car club run, so I've got too much time to spend trying to stop you thinking. (Yes, the 90 year old car has successfully made it to the big capital - next job is to see if it will get home again next week)

In reply... a dead me on an atmosphereless planet would not make checking the tyre pressures very easy. Unless of course I had been travelling at the speed of light, where I could then come back to a point before I left and check the pressures. If I was smart enough to leave a torch shining on the tyre pressure gauge, the light reflected would be travelling too, therefore I believe that I could return again, a little later than my first visit, to a time when I was already dead, but be able to see the reading on the gauge, which would now be in the future. Simple. After that, a small matter of getting the planet rotating again and the atmosphere would return and all would be well. I could then return at light speed to a point before I had ever bought a kit aircraft and save myself a few hundred hours of hard work and a very complicated tyre inflation procedure.

Glad to hear you made it Bushcaddy, and the rego came through Thursday night. Sadly too windy for 1st flight today, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Bandit, I agree with feeding the women folk. When I first (mis)read Nev's post, I thought he was offering to take my wife for a meal, possibly to sympathise with her and what she has to put up with, that or to arrange a time for the van from the funny farm to call round!

I have enough challenge looking after ONE wife, thanks. I've been working with this one for 40 years and everyone tells me I don't deserve her, but I keep saying she is lucky to have me. Like all of you I am Underappreciated. Saw some "normal" people once . Now that is SCARY. Keep away from those normal people. Nev

• Like 1