Ground speed of a plane

chrisb

True, saying the words, "lets keep this simple" is never a good idea.

I remember reading a story about an airline company that change from lbs to kgs for fuel, yep they didnt put enough in the tank and ran out. Pilot landed the plane no casulties

True, saying the words, "lets keep this simple" is never a good idea.I remember reading a story about an airline company that change from lbs to kgs for fuel, yep they didnt put enough in the tank and ran out. Pilot landed the plane no casulties

The Gimli Glider?

I remember reading a story about an airline company that change from lbs to kgs for fuel, yep they didnt put enough in the tank and ran out. Pilot landed the plane no casulties

There was also this expensive failure a few years ago. Even NASA can get the units wrong:

The Mars Climate Orbiter (formerly the Mars Surveyor '98 Orbiter) was a 338 kilogram (750 lb) robotic space probe launched by NASA on December 11, 1998 to study the Martian climate, atmosphere, surface changes and to act as the communications relay in the Mars Surveyor '98 program, for Mars Polar Lander. However, on September 23, 1999, communication with the spacecraft was lost as the spacecraft went into orbital insertion, due to ground-based computer software which produced output in non-SI units of pound-seconds (lbf×s) instead of the metric units of newton-seconds (N×s) specified in the contract between NASA and Lockheed. The spacecraft encountered Mars at an improperly low altitude, causing it to incorrectly enter the upper atmosphere and disintegrate.

• Informative 1

What I have written up there is a very basic introduction to cartography. Makes understanding and use of maps possible in a practical sense. Understanding simplifies, not complicates. Nev

I learned my navigation at sea and still have my dividers and parallel rule. So I view my charts and GPS North up and can't cope with track up because it just doesn't seem right.

Navigating on a marine chart is done by drawing your track line and then using the parallel rule to take a bearing from one of the compass roses printed on the chart. To get the distance, you set the dividers over the beginning and end points then place them on the latitude scale on the side of the chart and read off the distance as so many minutes (sea miles).

Need to remember that a sea mile is approx 1.15 statute miles and a knot is 1 sea mile (nautical mile) per hour.

Ancient mariners with a good chronometer, sextant and almanac could accurately calculate their latitude but could only guess their longitude. During the 1800's a large number of ships sailed straight into the cliffs to the west of Melbourne because they were all scudding along on the force of the Roaring Forties and were too damned pig-headed to shorten sail and slow down once night fell in case another skipper beat them into Port Phillip. That section of Coast is now known as the "shipwreck coast".

Kaz

• Informative 1

Imperial gallons, Metric Litres and USgallons as well as mass equivalents. you can be loading the aircraft in litres and showing it on the load sheet as Lbs.( pounds). Could you possibly come up with more opportunity to make an error. Nev

• Agree 1

Imperial gallons, Metric Litres and USgallons as well as mass equivalents. you can be loading the aircraft in litres and showing it on the load sheet as Lbs.( pounds). Could you possibly come up with more opportunity to make an error. Nev

Kg's also, the Tigers add litres, external gauge reads litres, mfd reads kg, fuel burn/requirement calculated in kg.