On the news

There is a very good chance that they will ever find it, especially now that the bush would have overgrown the wreckage. You would have to virtually trip over the wreckage to find it unfortunately. The chopper with the metal detector would be the best bet I guess but who is going to pay the thousands of dollars per hour for it to operate?

• Agree 1

I would imagine that it would have burnt. If it has there will be a large chunk of metal up the front remaining and at a minimum I would think the bell crank from the elevator so the magnet thingy might not be to bad

to be able to be involved in the search for that aircraft would be something special.as a student pilot knowing that if the worst should 1 day happen and that like minded people would continue to look for you regardless of the outcome so as to give closure to family and friends i think is something that makes aviators keep doing what they do.most of us fly for the pleasure of it but lots fly because its a job whether air ambulance or commercial or whatever and its good to think that people wont give up on finding u.

• Like 1

If you want to improve your skills or get a great insight into Australia's navigation systems of the day, take a look at the long thread on prune (I think there might be about three now, but the long one is the best. Some very skilled people carried out their research and analysis and then debated to pros and cons with each other - some brilliant minds,

• Informative 1

If you want to improve your skills or get a great insight into Australia's navigation systems of the day, take a look at the long thread on prune (I think there might be about three now, but the long one is the best. Some very skilled people carried out their research and analysis and then debated to pros and cons with each other - some brilliant minds,

Yes, have been following both. Perhaps the end will justify the means - but Dick has alienated a lot of aviation industry support. Like thousands of other Aussies, I like Dick. He's done many good things for society and aviation. In this case, I think he's allowed Channel 7 to take the dramatizing much too far. This weeks episode, whilst being much ado about nothing, at least kept a bit more to the facts.

The PIC made a woeful mess of the flight, in so many respects that listing them all would take a page. It was a classic Swiss cheese example. It's quite unfair, and most unreasonable, to be blaming RAAF controllers for 'failing to give an immediate clearance' - when it was left until the last minute. To be able to handle limited panel IFR - which is what the flight became - is hard enough without flying into TS. However, we're all wise after the event.

happy days,

• Agree 1

I agree with you Poteroo, but Dick is misinformed sometimes or not clear as with the national Airspace reform of 2003, ADSB was to be fully up and running by 2008 and still isn't, Dick has done many good things for aviation and is someone the public believe, he is probably the best person to fight for aviation issues without doubt. The airspace reform of 2003 had mixed support and affected others including AOPA and RAA.

I think trying to blame the RAAF is the wrong way to go for this accident but the Williamtown area is a problem especially for RAA as the coastal route requires a clearance but usually a CTAF on weekends. There are several places that are a threat to safety involving CTA or military restricted and a few e.g are Williamtown, Coffs Harbour, Evans Head , Nowra etc. so Dick has a valid point but probably the wrong way to raise it.

Read Air Marshall G Brown comments, https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/a/24096924/face-off-dick-smith-and-air-marshal-geoff-brown/