Building "Cowboy Up", a Cheetah Kit

Bigglesworth

Good question, I took my cue from the regs which simply state the words, and that they have to be easy to read and in an obvious position.

I was going to do them in green along with the markings for all the switches

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No time for pics

nut the fuse is etch primed, and first colour should be tomorrow, still a few knick nacks to make, including finish cowling, but otherwise, all systems go.

As for the canopy, have got some longer arms which should fix that up,

and for the yellow sticker, will talk to the inspector before printing one off. Should be fine, knowing the inspector.

Putting the pain into painting

Things are moving quickly,

Sprayed some enamel on today (first colour of a 2 part scheme)

Now I don't know how you learned to spray, but my first spraying of proper paint was lying on my back under the belly with inadequate space and lighting, a cheap spray gun, paint which was really designed to be brushed, so thinning was a bit choose your own adventure and was painting grey onto grey etch primer......................................

And it turned out alright.

Notice 'alright', not 'good'.

But hey, so far my bill for paint is about $350 and that includes sufficient paint of both colours, primer, thinners, and a spray gun.

Not Kidding.

Water trap and compressor belong to Lex, but I wasn't game to use his gun, since I would have to spend ages cleaning it.

So not to worry.

Has anyone else used HiChem etch primer on fabric? and has anyone else had problems with the primer not likeing the glue lines?

Not too bad, but glad I didn't use expensive paint.

The odds and sods get painted tomorrow, ready for the 2nd colour on Monday. Will put the wings on, and do it outside.

Bring on the mettallic.

PS

I don't blame you, Disperse.

But your turn will come, and remember: about 6 months with nowhere near adequate sleep.

IMGP1384.JPG.504d6cd31dddf56f0d08e5d9b7aa8515.JPG

Green, in colour only

Just shortly,

I put lotsa green paint on.

It sparkles

I am green

My sister got conned into helping mask off

My ute was put to work as a painting stand (hung the wing from an aileron hinge)

It looks good

Actually, it looks like a rushed $300 paint job by an amatuer.

A couple of spots where the tape has pulled the grey, will have to be brushed on.

All is good.

IMGP1390.JPG.45e8b2fea25a35bfd0ab8aa6b6e09c33.JPG

IMGP1392.JPG.b084193d76dcbae265cd3b4d8392532a.JPG

IMGP1393.JPG.9bd1cee114a8e5b0c97b06d85f8b42b7.JPG

IMGP1394.JPG.ce4803f1c3d089e215a6695a81a7c06c.JPG

IMGP1396.JPG.1d7493d5839b2468698c6e2fa8268f69.JPG

Does this mean we call you KERMIT ?...

My sister calls me Shrek, don't add to the pain:crying:051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

The final is due on next Friday, so I had better finish off the motor side.

Now I have to start planning the test flying, have to get a bit more current, and in similar planes. Hopefully I can arrange to have a fly in a Sportstar, which should be similar.

The end is in site.

Awesome BW. Looks like you are going to win - by 1 day. My final inspection should be on Saturday.

Got the graphics on the fuse and labels on the instruments yesterday. It looks absolutely awesome. I was getting very worried for a while there, but it works.

I got lots of photos, but the wings were still in the paint shop, so I think I'll resist the urge to post them until it's all in one piece.

Cleaning up all those little things now.

Upholstery will be finished later this week. Engine is right to go, but haven't started it yet. Prop isn't drilled and mounted yet. Rest of the paint back tomorrow.

Expect some photos next weekend.

Congrats on finishing first. Garry would love you to go up there and get some Cheetah dual time before you fly Cowboy Up. I would recommend it too. I have been flying his for months now and I'm just getting comfy with it.

At least you'll get the chance to grow as old as me.

WHOOPEE, IT LOOKS LIKE I'M WINNING :big_grin:

But it could still change yet, I have a fair bit to go still in fiddly bits.

And while you will take off as soon as it is ready, I have to arrange transport to Moruya, time off work (I want to do the hours in one hit) a visitors pass since I haven't got an ASIC,,,,,, etc etc.

And get my flying up to standard. Yeah.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I won't be able to make it to Taree, so it looks like I will be flying it with none on type. But I will get debriefings from 2 instructors, and only go when they both pronounce me fit to do so.

Hopefully I can swing the use of a Sportstar for a few hours, closer to the Cheetah than anything I have flown.

But even in my minimal hours, I have about 5 different types (from Bantam to C150 to taildragger Lightwing and more), so I am a bit used to switching planes.

And it is all in Gods hands anyway.:)

PASSED FINAL INSPECTION!!!!!!

Hey y'all,

Life is great, there is a God, He is good to me.

Cowboy Up passed final inspection.

I was advised to neaten up the wiring to stop it chafing, and to trim the spinner where it touched the prop,

And to replace the ballpoint pen holding the stabilator : I couldn't find the bolt.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

But other than that. good.

And the motor ticks over nicely. Didn't start first time, but thats because in the heat of the moment, I forgot to turn the CDIs on'wb''wb''wb'.

So thats why checklists are a good idea.

Whatever, everyone have a drink for me.

5 months (less 2 days) later.

IMGP1440.JPG.441c8d1adbf8b7ee7257e4488c1f3372.JPG

Congratulations Bigglesworth. I've been watching your progress with great interest. I admire your work of thinking through problems encountered to come up with a workable solution. I look forward to hearing your flight reports.

Remember to fly safe, especially as you venture forth for the first time in an aircraft that is new to you.

Regards,

Mathew

Guest Flyer40

Well done Josh. I just dedicated my last two drinks to you.

Keep us all informed as you enter the next phase. Good luck and stay safe.

Mal

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

I have just finished the paperwork (almost), so if all goes well, expect bigger news on next weekend.

How does everyone else do a weight and balance? I used bathroom scales, and while I am confident that I can interpret the results correctly, they did not seem in any way accurate.

But I think it will fly, and the figures seem to balance, so RAA should be happy. So all is good.

BTW, How did yours go, Slarti? And where is the picture we are all hanging out to see?

Excellent work Bigglesworth.

now that you and Slarti are basically finished, does this mean there's going to be some formation work going on?

In all seriousness, nice job, enjoy the flying...be safe.;)

Regards

Phil

here[/url].Isn't the paperwork a hassle?

Talk about it. And pictures, and details. Being a kit I don't know where half of the things come from e.g seatbelts. And no serials on Garry's props. all makes life fun.

By the way, I weighed in lighter than you, 263kgs, but thats accurate to within about 10 kg so maybe not.

Also check your balance, you say in your other thread that you need to load the front locker with one person; shouldn't that be rear? That is my situation. 1 up load rear, 2 up balance luggage.

Hopefully paperwork will be back tomorrow, and all systems go for the weekend.

An excellent build log Joshua, I've enjoyed reading each installment. You must be vey proud of your achievement. Remember it's not winning the race that counts, it's the enjoyment you get out of it. And I'm sure there will be plenty of that!

Regards, Decca.