Jaspers Brush EMT Day - A Video

Ignition

It was an excellent day, heaps of fun, extremely informative and a great way to improve skills in a fairly safe environment.

This is my first flight in a Robin Alpha, and also my first lesson of EMT & Aerobatics. Thanks to the guys at Red Baron in Sydney for hosting the day at Jaspers Brush Airfield.

The video consists of Stalling to get comfortable with the plane, a few Aileron Rolls, Loops, A Spin & a Glide Approach with a strong gusty crosswind component. Fun stuff :)

Disclaimer to Pilots: Don't jump in a plane and try any of this without first having appropriate training in a suitable aerobatic aircraft & with a certified flying instructor. I'm sure you all know the risks - it can and will bite hard; Don't become a statistic.

Music is Tennis Court by Lorde & Kids by MGMT.

Time to fly, enjoy the ride! - http://youtu.be/spwkqGX-c1U

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

That....right there is why I choose to fly GA, and why the Alpha is my preferred (when I'm not too poor!).

That surreal moment when you are spinning down and realise that what you can see was the view of many a pilot in the last few seconds/minutes of their lives. And it doesn't have to be, with some good quality instruction in spins and EMT. Really, I've never heard a good argument for the removal of spins from any training syllabus - lots of reasons, but never a good argument. Thanks for sharing Iggy, looked like a great time.

Looks like a great time, only made it 1:22 into the video however... is the version without the music and hi-speed available? I like to hear the rise and fall of the engine note and what is being said and all ;)

• Agree 1

Thanks for posting - I need to get out and do some of that! I'd love to see the full length video slowed down and without music too :)

With a certfied instructor in an approved aircraft I hope 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif The full length video is just under an hour long and around 2.5gb, so it's a bit too big to put on to youtube, sorry!

Looks like a great time, only made it 1:22 into the video however... is the version without the music and hi-speed available? I like to hear the rise and fall of the engine note and what is being said and all ;)

Yeh, start the video around 2:15 if you want to skip the stalling stuff, it is normal speed with the talking & aerobatics there (and a bit more music after a minute or so; as much as I love planes, the noise gets a bit old after a minute, hence the noise cancelling headset 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif) and because of the way the camera is plugged in to the radio, there isn't any engine noise in the videos.

The cable to the camera also didn't like working properly so towards the end the talking cuts out, but I won't spoil the entire video by telling you what happens ;) It's not an "instructional" video, just sit down and enjoy it 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Agree 1

The exercise was for EMT, and in that sense it is great. I couldn't help but wonder about the "pull back to here and lock the stick" instruction for the loop though, before remembering that it wasn't instruction to do a visually correct loop per se.

It is good that something like this has been done but what I see there is a mild very simplified aerobatic experience and little that I would call EMT. Much more to do yet We need a designated course eventually. I point this out in case someone thinks that is all there is to it. EMT is not aerobatics.. Nev

• Agree 3

The EMT day consisted of a seminar on EMT that lasted for about 3 hrs, after which, pilots had the opportunity to go up and have an introduction into the EMT training, see how the seminar subject matter put into practice, or just go up and have a go at a loop or a roll, or spins. the day was an introduction with the aim of getting pilots to think about how they fly, dispel a few myths with the seminar, and if they choose, to complete the full EMT course. the aim of the day was to ultimately make safer pilots.

Was a great day. Evrybody had a good time and got something out of it. The briefing was quite good, a little on the dramatic 'your gunna die unless' side of things but the guys were very knowledgable. Obviously coming from an aerobatic school most of the 'teachings' were aimed at that side of things, the patter etc. I was quite happy that most of what they were saying was already part of our techniques and patter. Some slight differences that mainly highlighted the aero side of things again. Not having back pressure on the controls in the stall etc, which may not happen in all attitudes (inverted and stuff) but generally is the case with 99% of our flying we have to actually have back pressure on the stick to stall.

And also the fact that not all aircraft Buffett before they stall:)..but other than that we were all on the same page.

Thanx again guys..Was a top day!!!

I also went up. I found that going through a full spin for the first time was a valuable experience - something I'd otherwise (hopefully) never experience in RA, but at least gave me an understanding of what to expect, and also how much height it takes to get out of them!

Have to worry when you read the CASA flight instructor manual section spinning. How do you like this:

Students often attempt to identify the behavior of the

aeroplane from the position of the controls. This is not a

reliable indication. The spin or spiral must be identified

(i) The flight conditions immediately prior to spin or

spiral, i.e. proximity to the stall or high speed, and

appropriate attitude

Im no spin expert, but I would disagree with this, very strongly!!!

So would I.

. A rotating aircraft can either be in a spin or a spiral. (Discounting a pilot induces aileron roll)

The turn needle being a gyro will tell you the direction of the turn and

The AIRSPEED will identify the condition.

If it is fairly low and only fluctuating the plane is probably stalled. Ie you are spinning.

If it is higher and probably increasing, you are spiralling. (You will also be getting more "G")

This method works in No vis conditions too

IF no turn instrument you have to go on the visual cues. IF the earth is rotating clockwise you are spinning/spiralling to the LEFT.

Spiralling requires RAPID action. Roll wings level with aileron (as you are not stalled ) check power off and recover from dive carefully as you may be at a high speed and overstress the airframe.

Spinning does not damage the plane's structure as loads don't build up but you may run out of height to recover and you might get disorientated in a prolonged spin.

This is minimal comment seek more information before applying anything here.. Nev

• Agree 2

I don't think it is helpful comment and I really would wonder if the author knows much about the subject. If it is a "deliberate" manoeuver you would have observed the plane enter the spin. If it is inadvertent, most of the comment is a bit meaningless or CONFUSING. ( The last thing that is needed). Nev

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this (awesome day out, lucky you!!) amply demonstrates a gap in RA-Aus training. If I'm unable to understand/experience a spin, dive or roll how am I expected to respond to these? The advice that "oh, you don't ever want to do that" doesn't provide me with any capability to resolve unintended attitudes. Turning crosswind just today I got a big thermal gust and the advice from CFI was 'on a really hot sunny day if you get a bigger thermal you'll be flipped real quick'.....which is not great recovery advice I must say.

Well done to both the organisers and the pilots for having a go at some 'serious' flying. Hopefully I'll be able to do same one day.