Fiery plane crash near Jandakot Airport

An aircraft, reported to be a Glassair III has crashed and burnt on an oval at Lakelands following an engine failure after takeoff from Jandakot. The two occupants have been flown by rescue helicopter to Royal perth Hospital suffering burns. Let's hope their injuries are not life threatening. John.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/20233506/plane-crashes-near-high-school/

If you are in the 40/50 age group, 75% burns is extremely high risk. Burns are one of the most terrible of injuries, my heart goes out to the poor soul and his family.

The big plus for him is that the most advanced treatment for burns and skin replacement technology was invented in Perth by a brilliant female doctor whose name eludes me at the moment. Hang in there buddy ....

• Agree 3

Can someone advise me on the engine out glide speed of the Glassair? It would be pretty hot would it not and you would need a fair bit of clear space. They probably didn't see the power lines until too late to avoid them. They may have stood a chance but for the lines. The goal posts I would imagine are less a hazard than those bloody wires. Poor buggas

I understand they had a partial engine failure soon after taking off from Jandakot. They got in under the power line but clipped a goalpost. Not sure if the engine failed completely before the forced landing. ATSB has been called in.

rgmwa

Can someone advise me on the engine out glide speed of the Glassair? It would be pretty hot would it not and you would need a fair bit of clear space. They probably didn't see the power lines until too late to avoid them. They may have stood a chance but for the lines. The goal posts I would imagine are less a hazard than those bloody wires. Poor buggas

Vs/Vso depends on which wing and flaps the aircraft has. 58-68 kts Vso is range quoted in the Glassair specifications. If you had the 68 configuration - then Vref would be 88 kts at full gross weight. Add to this a reported downwind of 10-15 kts - and you'd appreciate the pilot probably had a very fast approach g/s with a need to not float through the intended landing area. Really difficult decision.

• Informative 1