Ipad too hot (ozrunways)

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi guys

I have a 3G iPad 3 that i run ozrunways on but I'm finding that it doesn't take much to end up with the "Ipad is too hot" message to come up if there is any sunlight on the iPad in flight. My iPad is in a case and it may be that out of the case the problem is less of an issue.

Anyone else having the same issue? Sort of takes away from the value if the device wants to randomly shut down all the time.

Andy

I have found, out of a case, on a knee doc, with the vent open to give fresh air, the problem goes away. Run up to 35*C OAT Ok - Above that I tend to melt. In direct sunlight it will shut down below that temp as well without the vent open to give fresh circulating air. I don't rely on it for navigation but perfect for flight planning and submitting plans ( for CTA).

The answer seems to be the fresh air - the open cockpit wouldn't have any problems, I suspect.

• Agree 1

The sunlight is the worst, they just heat up too much. Definitely take it out of the case... as those above say keep it out of the direct sunlight and/or provide ventilation.

Mine would shut down when in direct sunlight in the Drifter on the ground but once airborne never a problem. I had a vent that was directed EVERYWHERE! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 2

They run much hotter then the ipad 2. When they first came out the forums where littered with heat related complaints and even now people are all over the forums trying to establish that if they buy an ipad air it wont overheat. I have both an ipad 2 and an ipad 3 (daughters), and my 2 feels cool all the time. My daughters 3 feels warm to very warm all the time its running even without a case. It would get very hot in a case in the sun and the apps i use on hers are minimal in processing requirements.

Sorry if im telling you something you already know. But it may help someone else anyway.

To test it run a 30min video on youtube when your out of the sun and with no case. It should make it run pretty warm/hot, but it should not overheat. In doing this you will soon see why a case and sun will make it overheat. At about 10 -15 minutes you should really start noticing how hot its getting. If it overheats doing this in the shade you have a faulty ipad.

You should make sure you shut down all the unnecessary apps in the background. By quickly tapping the home key twice and then dragging unwanted apps off the top of the screen to shut them down. Always do this before running a power hungry app for extended time. Also consider turning off Bluetooth if your not using it and you may or may not be able to turn off 3G. I havent tested ozrunways with 3g turned off, as my ipad 2 runs fine with it on. The GPS is not reliant on 3G so you should be able to turn it off ???

Im going to make a little clip on shade for mine when i go to the air version in the near future, just to protect the thing from the sun anyway.

• Informative 2

Yes iPad 3 runs hot, to do with retina screen I think

Mine has shut down twice only and was very hot and charging.

Alloy case would have to act as heat sink and skins and covers would stuff that up

I have a knee dock I can sell, brand new oz Runway type.